Home > Td5 > TD5 FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR QUESTIONS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Razler

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
TD5 FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR QUESTIONS
Hi all,

Still trying to sort out why my 02 defender cuts out shortly after start up.

Problem gets progressively worse as the fuel level reduces.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal to hear a hissing noise coming from the FPR whilst the ignition is turned on and the fuel pumps running?

Has anyone had a FPR that leaks air in instead of fuel out?

Help appreciated..

I may bubble if the problem continues!
Post #302360 26th Jan 2014 7:41pm
dorstsmith2

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
NO but nine had fuel leak that made the engine run lumpy the small filter in between fuel pressure regulator and the head can block
Post #302374 26th Jan 2014 8:04pm
Razler

dorstsmith2:
once mine is started it goes ok.

Did you rebuild you FPR or replace?

I have heard of people replacing the complete unit and also see you can buy a rebuild kit.

Does this filter get replaced or just cleaned?

Cheers
Post #302380 26th Jan 2014 8:13pm
dorstsmith2

filter clean and pressure regulator replaced LR parts also read below

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #302395 26th Jan 2014 9:06pm
Razler

Interesting bulletin but I have replaced the complete filter housing checking the bleed valve and one way valve were new and in the correct location before fitting.
Just to check:

Bleed valve rear o/s ?
1way valve rear n/s ?

Can the FPR be overhauled with the correct seals/ gaskets or can it only be replaced? Don't wana spend ~£150!

Should there be a hissing noise whilst the fuel pump is running coming from the FPR?

Cheers
Post #302474 26th Jan 2014 11:50pm
dorstsmith2

yes FPR be overhauled with the correct seals/ gaskets

NOT hissing noise should be herd from fpr whilst the fuel pump is running coming from the FPR is there smell of dev Question at the back end nearer the fpr

the only think to note it is the split/hole in the diaphragm and the cause of the leak most of the time Rolling Eyes

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...%20reg.JPG

you can find is on ebay but 4 bar Is a lot presser for it not to work and the injectors ant cheep to Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

torque wrench 18lbs will be needed too

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/td5-fuel-...53085.html
Post #302540 27th Jan 2014 11:32am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
On my 2002 Defender the one-way valve is front O/S and the air bleed valve is Rear O/S.

They are in different positions to the earlier Discovery TD5 Fuel Filter so be careful which people are talking about. Discovery has the air bleed valve rear O/S and the one way valve Front N/S.

Looking at the part numbers I would suggest that by the end of the TD5 era, when both Discovery and Defender used WJN500150, the positions of the air bleed valve and non return valve were standardised.

Defender fuel filter - WJN000020 (which superceeded WJN101840 and WJN101940) up to VIN 3A658551 and WJN500150 (which superceeded WJN500080 and WJN500090) from VIN 3A658552

Discovery fuel filter - WJN000030 up to VIN 3A838203 and WJN500150 from VIN 3A838203

As for your FPR hissing... It should not do that... I believe the FPR can be overhauled, but 99% of folks just replace the part.
Post #302547 27th Jan 2014 12:15pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
dorstsmith2 wrote:
yes FPR be overhauled with the correct seals/ gaskets

NOT hissing noise should be herd from fpr whilst the fuel pump is running coming from the FPR is there smell of dev Question at the back end nearer the fpr

the only think to note it is the split/hole in the diaphragm and the cause of the leak most of the time Rolling Eyes

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...%20reg.JPG

you can find is on ebay but 4 bar Is a lot presser for it not to work and the injectors ant cheep to Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

torque wrench 18lbs will be needed too

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/td5-fuel-...53085.html

And make sure you do use a torque wrench as you cannot guess 18lbs and the metal gasket is very easily deformed. Do the bolts up a little at a time to ensure a good flat seal.
Post #302548 27th Jan 2014 12:17pm
dorstsmith2

GENUINE DEFENDER / DISCOVERY TD5 - FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR & GASKET

GENUINE DEFENDER / DISCOVERY TD5 - FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR & GASKET

BRAND NEW

GASKET INCLUDED

THE LAND ROVER PART NUMBER FOR THIS ITEM IS LR016319

PLEASE NOTE:- THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT VARIANTS OF THESE REGULATORS & WE HAVE BOTH ON eBay SO PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK BEFORE PURCHASE TO ENSURE YOU RECEIVE THE CORRECT ONE!

PLEASE CONTACT US ON 01392 823923 WITH YOUR CHASSIS DETAILS BEFORE PURCHASE TO CHECK SUITABILITY

ALL LAND ROVER PART'S COME WITH A FULL NATIONWIDE 12 MONTH WARRANTY SHOULD YOU NEED IT

LAND ROVER RETAIL PRICE £174.92 INC VAT!

YOU CAN BUY IT NOW FOR JUST £129.99 INC VAT!

HOWEVER IF YOU CALL US ON 01392 823923 AND PAY VIA DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD THE PRICE WILL BE £124.99!

SO WHY NOT GRAB YOURSELF A BARGAIN?

WE ARE A LAND ROVER MAIN DEALER AND IF YOU PREFER YOU CAN RING US DIRECT AT THE DEALERSHIP ON 01392 823923 AND PAY BY CREDIT/DEBIT CARD

OUR DEALERSHIP DETAILS ARE MATFORD LAND ROVER, WATERBRIDGE COURT, MATFORD PARK ROAD, EXETER, EX2 8EL

FOR ALL INTERNATIONAL ENQUIRIES PLEASE EMAIL - partsmanager@landrover-exeter.co.uk

THIS IS AN INTERNET ONLY PRICE AND IS NOT AVAILABLE IN THE DEALERSHIP

FOR NORTHERN IRELAND, SCOTTISH HIGHLAND, JERSEY, GUERNSEY, I.O.W & SHETLAND ISLANDS CUSTOMERS PLEASE ADD £10.00 TO THE COST OF CARRIAGE
Post #302551 27th Jan 2014 12:34pm
Razler

After buying a new Britpart fuel filter housing and removing the finger tight brass connectors to check before fitting (all new valve/air-bleed) I found them in the position of:

Air bleed valve rear O/S
1 way valve front N/S

I then removed the original to find them in the above position had a quick google that confirmed this.... I fitted it originally this way!

After the ENGINE STALLS AFTER START UP problem appeared I back tracked and took a trip to the dealers, they printed this picture out:

So it was changed to:

Air bleed valve rear O/S
1 way valve rear N/S

as picture states? Im thinking this must be the correct location if I gave them my reg?

I still have the problem..

I have tried:

Using the old air bleed valve cutting of the gauze retainer with a sharp knife and removing the gauze; still problem, re-
fitted new air bleed valve.

Vacuum tested the filter housing; no leaks

Checked/cleaned all fittings on filter housing re-fitting with grease to help seal if were leaking; still problem

Replaced all injector seals/washers with LR parts inc. injector loom; still problem

Checked no oil in red ECU plug, whilst there checked relays & fuses; still problem

Removed fuel pump, all checked and cleaned large amount of debris from filters, checked fuel pipe on fuel pump unit, all ok.. Emptied fuel tank and wiped clean out; still problem

Put a clear piece of hose between the fuel inlet connector and the FPR; no bubbles, pump intermittently cavitating, FPR hissing, strange thing is tho I put another piece in between the Fuel cooler and the return pipe and NO BUBBLES!

In my mind the FPR may hiss if there was air in the system?? but my clear pipe said there not and also said that air wasn't entering due to the other pipe not having bubbles in it either!

If my FPR is hissing (not leaking) and others are not, maybe I need to replace it??

Cheers dorstsmith2 but the LR dealers 5miles down the road has quoted me £121 + VAT and £3 for gasket... Cheers Tho!

Its as if there is a microscopic hole on a pipe somewhere in the tank on the fuel pump assembly because problem only happens when the tank is below half?

next I'm guna try is putting clear pipes in-between the fuel pipes and the fuel pump assembly and seeing if air appears..

Any other recommendation Question
Post #302562 27th Jan 2014 2:03pm
dorstsmith2

That`s OK

In my mind the FPR may hiss if there was air in the system?? but my clear pipe said there not and also said that air wasn't entering due to the other pipe not having bubbles in it either!

If air in the system? it shod be returned to the tank and not be vented at the FPR Question
Post #302574 27th Jan 2014 2:47pm
Razler

To add:

Spoke to a helpful Independent LR repair garage and asked about the hissing noise at the FPR, he said it was normal as there is little holes and sharp changes in direction inside.

I refitted my Clear test tube with a fuel pressure gauge attachment inline. Reading;

OFF 0 PSI
IG ON 57 PSI
ENG ON @ IDLE 58 PSI FLUCTUATING +- 3PSI
ENG ABOVE IDLE SAME

TURN ENGINE OFF AND PSI DROPS SUDDENLY TO 5PSI THEN PROGRESSIVELY REDUCES TO 0 OVER 2 SECOND

Should the pressure fall rapidly when engine is turned off?

Going to wait abit to see if bubbles are in my pipe Confused
Post #302592 27th Jan 2014 4:08pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
Fuel pressures are fine. Can you try and get your hands on a cheap (used) fuel filter housing and just try that? 10MY L322 TdV8 - Ipanema Sand
Post #302616 27th Jan 2014 5:53pm
Razler

Yeah good idea wslr..

Funnily enough I have a pal with a td5 disco with exactly the same problem (he's waiting for me to fix mine first so he can get straight to the solution, he might wait a while Laughing ) his developed this fault after he fitted a Britpart filter housing.. Same as me!

I thought the filter head was a simple object and couldn't be at fault but its worth a try..

I did think about trying another filter but the LR dealer wanted ~ £38 for one.. Joke!

Has anyone had problems with Britpart filter heads/ filters?
Post #302654 27th Jan 2014 7:41pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
I'd guess that the low pressure pump is dead or dying. Fuel levels dropping means it has to lift the fuel higher so a marginal pump might well get worse as the fuel level drops and as a result there is less pressure at the intake. Remember that when the tank is full the fuel level is above the low pressure pump intake so pressure at the intake is relatively high. It's probably providing enough fuel to prime the system but not enough to run it.

The complicated/convoluted TD5 fuel system uses a low pressure pump to pump fuel into the filter housing and the high pressure pump then takes it's feed from the filter housing. Fuel returning from the engine therefore goes straight into the input of the high pressure pump via the cooler and then the filter housing. Any air is bled out of the system via the valve arrangement to the top of the tank.

The engine will actually run quite smoothly with a fuel rail pressure down to around 15PSi (although with very little power it actually runs really smoothly !) because the real pressure for injection is supplied mechanically by the cam.

So, with all that in mind, I'd be surprised if a faulty pressure regulator could cause the problems you are seeing.

Checking the fuel pressure is easy enough, I use an oil pressure gauge to check mine that I can temporarily plug inline between the pump and the regulator. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #302664 27th Jan 2014 8:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>