↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR QUESTIONS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Razler

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Cheers davew; Yes that is defiantly a good suggestion and possibly the answer..

I did buy a super delux Snap On Fuel pressure gauge from eBay a while back and never had a chance to use it.. until now Razz

Using one of the connectors from the old fuel filter head I cut the brass tube where its meets the hex drive and jubilee clipped some braided see through pipe onto it, my fuel pressure gauge has a nice brass barb T that goes onto a pipe that again clipped onto the Inlet on the FPR. No bubbles and ~ 60psi running..

I have now filled the tank so its not causing problems, tomorrow I will pump out most of the fuel into a barrel so I can get it to do the problem.

davew, how can I diagnose a dicky LP fuel pump? surly if I have ~60psi at the FPR then that tests the LP pump?
Post #302748 27th Jan 2014 10:53pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
It can be that the pipes drawing up the fuel (when the fuel level is low) let air into them so it sucks air up with the fuel. Obviously, when the fuel level in the tank is above the hole in the pipe, it is not a problem.

Another place you can get air into the fuel system is the filter head (not the filter itself). It is the part that the filter screws onto. They can be porous. Related to this in the filter head are the non return valve and the air bleed valve which are inside the filter head, but you can change them. If fuel is leaking back to the tank from the cylinder head (because of a problem with the non return valve), you can find the vehicle starts on fuel that is in the injectors and stops because fuel takes a short time to pressure back up again at the head. 10MY L322 TdV8 - Ipanema Sand
Post #302845 28th Jan 2014 3:49pm
Razler

Yeah wslr that's what I have been trying to work around because I'm almost certain it's a problem with either the filter head assembly or the fuel pump assembly.

Its as if there is a hole half way up a pipe in the tank on the fuel pump assembly that draws air in when level revels it.

I have a full tank now and the fuel pump is very quiet almost silent. NO PROBLEM

Under half and fuel pump is easily heard and definitely cavitating. PROBLEM

So where is the air coming from:

The Filter head has been removed from chassis buy disconnecting pipes and undoing x2 bolts. I then drained fuel out of it and securely blanked of 3/4 brass fitting then vacuum tested it with a Mityvac. No leaks... Cleaned up and refitted.

The bleed valve has been checked and in new condition. (I have also tried it with the old bleed valve without the material gauze; WORSE!)

There was a confusion where the ONE WAY VALVE locates but by looking at the diagram I my mind what use is it anywhere else apart from in the blue brass fitting?

My question is would the one way valve be better to prevent the HP (RED) back flowing or the LP (BLUE)?

Click image to enlarge

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...5B1%5D.jpg

Could there be any difference between a LR Bleed Valve and a Britpart Bleed Valve?

The return pipe will be full of air because it ends at the top of the of the fuel pump assembly, Could it not be drawing in air from there?? doesn't really explain why the problem is effected by level.

When I removed the Pump assembly to clean / inspect I noticed a white pipe with a 'Y' piece half way down, can anyone tell me what pipe this is? BLACK, BLUE or RED?
Post #302961 28th Jan 2014 9:26pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Just a thought (and I might be talking rubbish) if there is a vacuum in the tank maybe it's stopping enough fuel getting up to the engine and might cause your noise. When your tank gets down to half if you take the petrol cap of is there a whoosh of air? If there is your vent under the passenger rear wheel arch might be blocked.

But as I say I might be talking rubbish Rolling with laughter

Ray
Post #302970 28th Jan 2014 9:40pm
Razler

I feel like a balloon for not thinking about the breather, Cheers mk1collector!

Think it has a valve on the end that let's air in but no fuel out? So to find out I need to blow through from outside in? If I remove the filler cap will prevent blowing the tank up?!

Dunno if it will be the problem but worth a try, and it's normally the blindingly obvious things that are the problem..

Don't recall any vacuum noises when filler cap has been removed.,

Will tell you all tomoro if iv been a mug Embarassed
Post #303029 29th Jan 2014 12:27am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I read on here somewhere in the last couple of days that the breather and the fuel cap let air in and fumes out but I can't remember which did which job Big Cry I think it was one of ericvv's posts but I've had a look and can't find it now Rolling Eyes
Post #303036 29th Jan 2014 12:46am
Razler

NO MORE STARTING PROBLEMS! Very Happy

Checked tank vent, not blocked but unsure of what the valve? is for.. can blow through both ways so thought it may be a role over valve? can pump fuel from tank side out normal orientation and upside-down? Question

Borrowed a used fuel pump after a good clean it was fitted for testing, problem still the same.

Bought a L.R AIR BLEED VALVE 500110 and fitted.. My starting problem has now disappeared!

BRITPART AIR BLEED VALVE CAN BE EASILY BLOWN THROUGH ; WRONG
L.R 500110 AIR BLEED VALVE CAN NOT BE BLOWN THROUGH ; CORRECT

When air is in the fuel system after a filter change etc the fuel pump can easily purge air out through the air bleed valve then after air is expelled fuel flow through valve is massively restricted. System works correctly.

With the BRITPART air bleed valve not restricting much at all when the engine is stopped and pipes start to back flow, air is easily sucked back into system from the tank, with little restriction the low pressure system pressure will be reduced because it will be flowing out of the air bleed pipe into tank.

Yes if the Air bleed valve is old and blocked then if air has been introduced into system the fuel pump will struggle to purge air out.

Too little restriction from air bleed valve will cause low pressure on low pressure system and air being drawn in when fuel pump is off.

Now I don't have to wait 30 seconds after the coil light goes out to start Laughing

BRITPART ==== Censored PART Surprised
Post #306016 7th Feb 2014 9:54pm
dorstsmith2

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
That`s Good news Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #306030 7th Feb 2014 10:23pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
neighbour came in today with his td5 not quite pulling as it should he said.

Its not the MAF which was confirmed by disconnecting it and driving it - it was down on power then.

It does have a little oil in the loom on the way to the ECU but its not in the ECU.

more importantly with ignition on you can hear the fuel pump whine then change pitch (as normal) then 2s after the change to higher pitch there is a hissing sound coming from the area of the fuel filter housing. this happens for until the pump turns its self off. so 5s maybe?

no sign of fuel around the filter.

Vehicle starts perfectly and runs ok unless under heavy acceleration.

I was going to change the filters with him when i can get some, and check the 'O' ring in the filter housing.

any other suggestions? please. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #650359 14th Sep 2017 8:10pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Is this the valve that fits in the fuel filter housing? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #650370 14th Sep 2017 8:37pm
jst

yes i believe so Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #650505 15th Sep 2017 7:27pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Cheers 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #650511 15th Sep 2017 7:45pm
jst

i had a look and drive of the vehicle today.

have replaced the fuel filter and housing, lots of hissing noises coming from it. Also hissing noice coming from FPR on rear of engine.

Vehicle starts perfectly.
no misfires
all running smoothing
vehicle runs with no black smoke under any condition.

If you accelerate hard up through the gears there is a massive delay in the 'power' coming on it does come and the vehicle does boost but it takes an age to get there. evident in any gear. Once it is up in the rev range it will sit there no problem. change up a gear and it bogs in for what seems like ever but will then pick up 'eventually' and go again.

I would welcome any suggestions/help/advice please. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #651820 21st Sep 2017 3:13pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Is it running a standard ECU map? I remember our 2002 DCPU had what appeared like an eternal lag in pickup but as you say once there it'd just sit there day in day out.

Might be worth checking the waste gate actuator just in case it is holding the gate a little open.
Post #651827 21st Sep 2017 3:32pm
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Could be worth disconnecting the low range switch on the transfer box. When in low range it changes the mapping to give a delayed response to the throttle pedal.

Cheers

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #651871 21st Sep 2017 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>