Home > Expedition & Overland > Arctic Overland: Harwich to Nordkapp 2014
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Arctic Overland: Harwich to Nordkapp 2014
Hi all,

You may of noticed during my time on the forum, a lot of my posts relate to winter trips in Scandianvia: I’ve been a huge fan of the region since I first visited and following trips where we flew, in 2012 myself and my partner went on our first Defender based exploration in the region for a month, followed up with a two week trip earlier this year.

Every time I visit the region I am struck by the beauty of the landscapes and cities, the savagery the weather can display, the friendliness of the people and, when lucky enough to see them, the spellbinding effects of the northern lights.

Having talked about the trips on the forum, I’ve been contacted by a number of people asking about our journeys and discussing their own plans or hopes for being able to undertake something similar.

So, having been in regular contact with Steve (BPman) since then, who also has experience of the region and was part of a small group expedition there earlier this year, we decided we wanted to go back again, but not just on our own this time…

So we have teamed up and form a new venture: Arctic Overland.

Arctic Overland will be offering a package for interested parties to join a two-week, group expedition of the arctic north. We had been putting together plans for a 2015 trip, but have been contacted recently by a few people interested in undertaking a 2014 trip so we have decided to float it early, to see if there is any significant interest in a trip for the last week of January, first week of February in 2014.

Beginning in Harwich, it will be a chance for those that wish to explore the beauty of this unique region in an affordable but fully organised group expedition.

Along the way we will be visiting a number of landmarks including the city of Tromso in Norway, Kiruna in Sweden, and the landmark at Norkapp. We will have the chance to go dog sledding in Kiruna, take a cable car trip in Tromso and each night hope to catch a glimpse of the northern lights.

We currently have some interested parties, but not enough confirmed yet to make a 2014 trip viable, so we would like to hear from anyone who would be interested in undertaking such a trip either in 2014 or 2015. Our target group size is four vehicles.

We have a website with further information at www.arctic-overland.co.uk and a brochure which we can send via e-mail, but would really like to hear your thoughts and are more than happy to have a totally informal chat with any interested parties at any time, so drop us a PM if you'd like to know more!

The trip will not be exclusive to defender owners, we'd also love to see a Disco, FFRR or other makes and models join us in what we hope will be a trip of a lifetime!

Kris & Steve

contact@arcticoverland.co.uk

P.S. Thanks to Martin for the support and letting us publicise this new venture on the forum Thumbs Up

Last edited by Phoenix90 on 29th Nov 2013 10:59pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #286379 29th Nov 2013 10:45pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
thanks Kris. The website also details the recommended modifications for trips to the arctic, if you have any questions or advice - please ask

One thing that can put people off is having to fit a webasto block heater, however because we are staying at cabins with external electricity points, electric kenlowe heaters are a quicker alternative (although may not suit all expeditions)
Post #286382 29th Nov 2013 10:50pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I'll get my 6 eggs in now and say that I'm not working between 27 jan and 17 feb 2015!! (at the moment !!) Thumbs Up

Fingers crossed for your new venture,
We hope to join in on the trips in 2015! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #286389 29th Nov 2013 11:06pm
Phoenix90

Thanks Wyvern Thumbs Up

Subject to ferry timetables, our 2015 dates will be approx 01 - 15th Feb Thumbs Up

Hope we see you there!
Post #286395 29th Nov 2013 11:15pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Fab-U-lous!! Bow down
Fingers crossed for my rota to stay the same!
I'll be in touch.
Very Happy Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #286396 29th Nov 2013 11:18pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
I'm interested, is this a company forming to make a profit or are you simply looking for interested parties to join your adventure?

I was thinking of 2015 but I guess could prep early providing the necessary prep could be completed in time.
Post #286402 29th Nov 2013 11:31pm
Nobby

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Good luck and well done for seeking to pass your knowledge and experience. SWMBO has this on her bucket list Whistle so I am very interested. Looking to buy a 110, may not have it in time for next Jan/Feb. current 90 doesn't fit the bill, not sure you can get snow chains for 20" Embarassed _______________________________
Puma Defender 90
Post #286410 29th Nov 2013 11:47pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
a13x wrote:
I'm interested, is this a company forming to make a profit or are you simply looking for interested parties to join your adventure?

I was thinking of 2015 but I guess could prep early providing the necessary prep could be completed in time.

All stated on their website Thumbs Up Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #286413 29th Nov 2013 11:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Phoenix90

Hi a13x,

We are not looking to make profit from this at the moment. We are doing this because we love to travel in the region and are building our experience of leading a group. We hope that in the future it may become more of a commercial venture, but for us the underlying reasons are because of our passion for the region and sharing this with others. Even in our wildest dreams for the future we don't expect to make any significant profit from this venture.

When I say we aren't making profits, we do hope to cover some of the costs for the lead vehicle, but as you'll appreciate there is not really much of a profit margin and we certainly won't be able to cover all of our costs.

We want to be as open and honest as possible, so let me know if you want any further info.

Last edited by Phoenix90 on 23rd Feb 2014 12:00am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #286416 29th Nov 2013 11:57pm
Phoenix90

Nobby wrote:
Good luck and well done for seeking to pass your knowledge and experience. SWMBO has this on her bucket list Whistle so I am very interested. Looking to buy a 110, may not have it in time for next Jan/Feb. current 90 doesn't fit the bill, not sure you can get snow chains for 20" Embarassed

Thanks Nobby Thumbs Up

Hopefully we'll see you on one - it is stunning - give me a shout if you want any info at any point.

Some photos to whet the appetite from my 2012 trip 2012 Scandinavia Trip
Post #286418 30th Nov 2013 12:12am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Can wholeheartedly recommend phoenix90 and his partner. Very enthusiastic couple and very knowledgable on the areas to be visited. Met them at a the Ice Hotel and ferry on the way home this year.

At £1250 its a give away, try organising this trip yourself. It would take weeks of planning and a recce would be advised before venturing there in the winter. You'll get loads of advice and list of essential kit. Go in a well organised group and you'll have a great time.

If your planning to go in January next year you'll need to pull your fingers out, fair amount of prep to sort out Thumbs Up

Btw I may have some Arctic kit for sale Wink

Click image to enlarge
 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #286419 30th Nov 2013 12:14am
Phoenix90

Thanks for the recommendation Landlord. Thumbs Up You don't fancy popping back? Whistle

It is a tight timeframe, but if we get people signed up by the end of December then we can sort it all without any major issues. We have the places to stay lined up, the route and plan all mapped out, just need to confirm numbers Thumbs Up
Post #286422 30th Nov 2013 12:27am
Phoenix90

So, we've been overwhelmed by the response we have received! Thanks to all so far that have given us their support and advice Bow down

We're very exited about the venture and looking at the response we have received, we definitely have a trip on our hands for 2015. Very Happy What isn't so clear yet, is if we have a 2014 trip... Whistle

We have a number of very interested parties, but due to the short notice, which we expected, people are struggling to commit due to work or lack of time to prep etc. When we discussed floating the 2014 trip we always thought it may not be possible at this short notice but that we would have a go and see what the response was.

So, just so everyone knows, our view is that we need a minimum of two vehicles signed up to make it a reality. The closing date for committing to the trip is 29th of December, this gives us enough time to make the trip work and ensure those joining us have a fantastic time.

As always, if anyone wants any further info then please get in touch. If you'd like our vehicle / personal kit prep guide then drop me a PM or send a message through the website. Thumbs Up
Post #286950 1st Dec 2013 11:11pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Phoenix90 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation Landlord. Thumbs Up You don't fancy popping back? Whistle

It is a tight timeframe, but if we get people signed up by the end of December then we can sort it all without any major issues. We have the places to stay lined up, the route and plan all mapped out, just need to confirm numbers Thumbs Up

Vehicles ready, got the kit but not the time Sad otherwise would probably have joined you. Good luck in your new venture.

If anyone is considering this don't be put off by the vehicle or kit preparation as it's not as daunting as you think. A well serviced vehicle with some cold weather preparation and you should be ready to go Thumbs Up 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #286962 1st Dec 2013 11:39pm
Steveraspberry

England 
I could well be interested in this. What sort of restrictions are there for wheelchair users please? MY 90 King Cab 90 with well, loads of kit really. - SOLD
MY 02 D2 ES Black - The next project
MY 14 D4 HSE Loire Blue - Mine
MY 14 D4 HSE Corris Grey - Alis'
MY 08 G4 D3 Genuine one of the 66. Gone but missed quite a bit
Free Spirit Carbon Fibre wheelchair
Large GSD called Abbs
Small GSD called Bailey
Post #286976 2nd Dec 2013 12:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>