Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Steve ... you have a PM
Post #286994 2nd Dec 2013 9:30am
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
So, thanks again to all that have contacted us, offering their support and expressing an interest in the trip Thumbs Up we are very grateful!

It does seem though, as we thought may be the case, that 2014 is not going to work as most of those interested aren’t going to be able to get together in time. Also, we’ve faced a couple of challenges in arranging a trip for others that we hadn’t foreseen and will need a bit of time to work out.

So, with all of that in mind, we are now not looking to put together a guided trip for 2014, instead we’re going to plough on with our 2015 plans to get everything in place to guide a trip next January / February.

In the meantime, if anyone is still interested in a 2014 trip then let us know and we will share all of our information with you and help in any way we can with advice etc.

We already have a list of people interested in a 2015 trip who we will e-mail when we have some developments, as well as update the website.

In the meantime, if anyone has any questions then please get in touch!
Post #288694 8th Dec 2013 9:14pm
Tjaank110

Chile 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
To those of you considering a wintertime Arctic Expedition to Norkapp, you may consider to take the Coastal liner (Hurtigruten) from Bergen to Norkapp, then drive back south. I believe Hurtigruten offer promotional pricing for car and driver during low season. If the weather cooperates you can see the Northern Lights once you cross the Arctic circle.
Make sure to visit the beautiful Lofoten islands on your way south. You can catch the ferry from Moskenes to Bodo. From Bodo head south across Saltstraumen, the world's strongest tidal current. Just after crossing the bridge you will have the choice to continue south the coastal road or you can take RV812 to Rognan, Saltdal; then continue south on highway E6, crossing Saltfjellet and the Arctic Circle. If you want to do the trip during the summer months, now is the time to book your tickets with Hurtigruten. Happy travels! MY 2008 SW Defender 110
Post #303103 29th Jan 2014 2:06pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
As said above - Kris and Steve have said that they arent going to run a trip this year - however my partner desperately wants to photograph the work of Slartibartfast up close and requests more daylight than January/February can offer Laughing
So we've booked a trip in May-June to go as far north as possible in 15 days ... (would love to see the Aurora Borealis again, but its not an essential for us this time. Cool )

Plan is Harwich to Hook of Holland, drive to Hirtshals at the top of Denmark, then ferry over to Bergen, then drive North following the coastal road as much as possible, popping down the side roads & stopping often to take lots of photos ... hoping to get to as far north as Tromso ... but will see how we do.
Then take a quicker route back (with more photo stops.. Wink )

The 110 is rigged as a camper so will be self supporting with sleeping and cooking in the vehicle. (plus a couple or so of wine boxes to keep the photographer happy)
Steve (BPMan) has been helping with the route and other advice .. so am now in the 'getting exited' phase! Bow down

(we looked at taking the Hurtigruten, but its very costly for the time of year we're travailing - so not this time Shocked )

We drove to Norway before - visiting the East side of the country from Sweden - so are looking forward to the stunning sea views and coast lines Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

(note wine box on top shelf - poised for action!! ) Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #303236 29th Jan 2014 9:45pm
Cold_n_Wet

Norway 
If you need help in country then don't hesitate to contact us or the norwegians on the Norwegian Land Rover forum

www.lrforum.com/forum

Glen "Rafiki" 2007 110 STW - Rolling rebuild.
Post #303322 30th Jan 2014 5:30am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
thanks Glen, we'll be in touch.
Post #303334 30th Jan 2014 9:02am
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I can't believe you are doing the whole thing for £1250/head. I have just finished booking for a much easier summer trip (end May, first 2 weeks of June) and have just totaled costs up. The ferry alone is £500, even basic huts run out at £50 night, pre booked (sure you might find something sub basic on the run with all the subsequent searching for an overnight stop). Hope everything goes well for 2015, not sure I have the skills for a winter run, see how my solo summer trip goes first!

ps The Harwich Esbjerg ferry charges more for the cabin than the car and driver, with no reduction for solo traveller! 110 SW Aintree Green
Post #310517 22nd Feb 2014 11:07am
Phoenix90

Hi Spookytooth,

I've just got back (well two weeks ago now actually Big Cry ) from trying out the route we propose a trip would take Thumbs Up

The price will change slightly from the figure originally discussed, in part because we are looking at taking a different route that uses more ferries, but we're still working on the finer details and hope to get together the information and publish it in the the coming weeks.

As you say, it is an expensive trip, but travelling as a group allows for some economy of scale, especially with accommodation and whilst some of the cabins are relatively basic, they are all warm, comfortable, clean and I wouldn't describe any as sub-basic Thumbs Up

Some photos from the scouting trip:

Click image to enlarge
Post #310752 23rd Feb 2014 12:34am
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Is it possible to do a trip like this in 9 days? I.e. Friday night through to the Sunday. It looks like February is the best time to go but my wife is constrained by the school holidays. www.td5.org
Post #310792 23rd Feb 2014 8:47am
Phoenix90

Sadly, no it probably isn't.

In the winter the Harwich Esbjerg ferry tends to run on Wednesdays and Sundays from Harwich, and Tuesdays & Saturdays from Esbjerg which would limit you to four days in Norway/Sweden, by the time you had got there.

I think if you were limited to that amount of time, but wanted to visit the region, I would fly into Tromso, stay there for a few days, then hire a car (or use public transport) and go over to Kiruna (stopping at Abisko on the way for a night) and have a couple of days there. You could then fly back to the UK from Kiruna, or drive back and fly out of Tromso.

That way you could have a week in the region, which in my experience, is about the right amount of time to be there to give yourself a really good chance to see the aurora.
Post #310812 23rd Feb 2014 9:59am
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi Phoenix90, great pictures. Was not casting any doubt on the standard of cabin you are suggesting, the post was simply marveling at the economies of scale you have made and the great value for money for anyone lucky enough to go with you, Going solo, I am often having to pay the same cost for a cabin regardless of whether there are 1 or 4 persons sharing it 110 SW Aintree Green
Post #310849 23rd Feb 2014 11:01am
me@td5.org

Phoenix90 wrote:
Sadly, no it probably isn't.

That's what I thought. I'm torn between the fact that we both want to go to the region but I also want to Drive there in my Defender.

Would have been nice to be able to do both! www.td5.org
Post #310889 23rd Feb 2014 12:57pm
Phoenix90

Spookytooth wrote:
Going solo, I am often having to pay the same cost for a cabin regardless of whether there are 1 or 4 persons sharing it

This is unfortunately the case in a lot of places, but keep an eye out for the larger sites as they often have 2 man cabins which can be cheaper. They normally don't have bathroom facilities as part of them but the are a lot cheaper and in May they will be fine Thumbs Up

me@td5.org wrote:
That's what I thought. I'm torn between the fact that we both want to go to the region but I also want to Drive there in my Defender.

Would have been nice to be able to do both!

I've faced this before and we came up with a plan that might work for you... If you drove up to Tromso (solo or part of a group) then your partner could fly into Tromso and meet you there, spend a couple of nights in Tromos, then move on to Nordkapp and then back down to Kiruna. The day you depart Kiruna (probably around 5 days after arriving into Tromso, depending on how fast you move around), drop your partner at Kiruna airport and they can fly back to the UK. Depending on timings and route that could even be extended so you drop them at Oslo or Copenhagen airport etc... You then carry on for the homeward journey.

Most of the 'experience' comes from your time between Tromso and Kiruna, although the other parts are still great, they are mainly concerned with travelling, whereas the 5/6 days in the high north are about being there, going to the cities, Nordkapp, aurora hunting etc..

Just a thought Thumbs Up
Post #310917 23rd Feb 2014 2:26pm
me@td5.org

Cheers! Sounds like it could really work. www.td5.org
Post #310939 23rd Feb 2014 5:08pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
wyvern wrote:
My partner desperately wants to photograph the work of Slartibartfast up close and requests more daylight than January/February can offer Laughing
So we've booked a trip in May-June to go as far north as possible in 15 days ... (would love to see the Aurora Borealis again, but its not an essential for us this time. Cool )

Plan is Harwich to Hook of Holland, drive to Hirtshals at the top of Denmark, then ferry over to Bergen, then drive North following the coastal road as much as possible, popping down the side roads & stopping often to take lots of photos ... hoping to get to as far north as Tromso ... but will see how we do.
Then take a quicker route back (with more photo stops.. Wink )

The 110 is rigged as a camper so will be self supporting with sleeping and cooking in the vehicle. (plus a couple or so of wine boxes to keep the photographer happy)
Steve (BPMan) has been helping with the route and other advice .. so am now in the 'getting exited' phase! Bow down

(we looked at taking the Hurtigruten, but its very costly for the time of year we're travailing - so not this time Shocked )

We drove to Norway before - visiting the East side of the country from Sweden - so are looking forward to the stunning sea views and coast lines Thumbs Up

Right - its only a few days till we go off on our little trip.
Weather reports are looking good with mid to high teens 'c and 24hrs sunshine in Tromso.
Wagon is all set with new cabin heater, double battery & split charge, new table and top-box fitted, got all the normal stuff to load on (waffle boards, awnings and chairs )and then we are away.
Just got to register for the Norwegian toll roads and fit the headlight beam deflectors and then stock up with food (and wine!).
My navigator has been looking at the route giving us lots of lovely things to stop and look at, so am now brimming with anticipation!! Thumbs Up
Look out Slartibartfast – here we come!
(if I can get off work on time next week! Shocked Shocked ) Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #331760 18th May 2014 1:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>