Home > Puma (Tdci) > New Puma Purchase
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Vince

United Kingdom 
New Puma Purchase
Hi Everyone,

I've been stalking and doing a little digging over the last few days looking for info on the 07+ defender. I'm on the look out for a hard top 90.

So far all i can really see to look out for is the EGR valve - is there anything else i should be checking when i goto look at one?

Would an 07+ with 80k miles on put you off?

Cheers
Paul.
Post #280056 6th Nov 2013 4:19pm
Diablo

1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
Mileage wouldn't put me off, only condition

Being a PUMA, check it meticulously for corrosion, everywhere you can.
Post #280059 6th Nov 2013 4:34pm
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
hi paul,
that age and mileage i would consider average.

i would always look for signs of rust on the bulkhead particularly around the windscreen junction on newer models.

hope this helps Thumbs Up
Post #280060 6th Nov 2013 4:36pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
-lift the carpets, check for water ingress
-check tyre wear is even
-check low/high/difflock works
-check for oil leaks
-have a look in the battery box and the fuse box under the other seat, make sure they are dry
-give the props a wiggle, they should not be loose, also check for grease nipples on the props

- if abs/tc model - test it

good luck with your search
Post #280061 6th Nov 2013 4:40pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Vince wrote:
Would an 07+ with 80k miles on put you off?

Absolutely not, 80k is no reason to be put off and may have benefits over lower mileages.

There are various service modifications which should have been made on an '07 by now which might be worth checking, the clutch being probably the most important. Also if you intend to use the vehicle off-road, check that it has had the modified sump fitted (search this forum for pictures).

To check the clutch, switch the engine off with the gearbox in neutral and clutch in (ie foot not on pedal). Listen for a rattle as the engine stops. If there is a rattle, try stopping the engine with the clutch out (foot on pedal). If there is then no rattle, the clutch needs replacing ASAP. You may find that the clutch/gearbox "chatters" on tickover in neutral (a rattle which stops when the clutch is pressed), this is not particularly a problem, being a typical feature of a single mass flywheel with conventional clutch. It isn't a selling point, however, and you may be able to negotiate if present.

EGR valve, you know about. Listen for the chukka-chukka on shut off. They should be silent but many chukka away for years without particular problems.

A clunky gearchange is usually symptomatic of backlash in the drivetrain, but even on a good one the gearchange is fairly clunky. On a 90 you shouldn't have diff problems (on an '07 110 or 130 you need to check the front diff which, if original, will be a 2-pinion unit).

Check also if the vehicle has the battery backed sounder on the alarm. If not, this is an upgrade you'll probably want to make, but now it should only be the start, these units can be defeated by the villains quite quickly.
Post #280062 6th Nov 2013 4:41pm
Cuthbert

Having looked at a number of second hand Defenders of late, I'd be more worried about the overall condition of the vehicle rather than just the mileage. I've seen some suspiciously low mileage vehicles that appeared to have been unloved and were very tatty. I've seen some higher mileage examples that appeared to have led an active but gentle lifestyle. What is laughable are the prices some sellers expect to achieve for vehicles that require very expensive repairs to bring them up to standard. Another concern is corrosion on some models - Did I really want to pay top dollar for a Defender that was in and out of salt water pulling a speedboat on a trailer? Or the dairy farmer's cast off, complete with liberal underbody coating of cow poo to stimulate chassis rot.

Suddenly the low mileage city based Defender looks attractive but is it suffering from too many short runs, never warming up fully and a diesel engine that is gumming up with soot?

Just don't rush into any purchase - I'm sure a decent one has your name on it (you just haven't spotted it yet).
Post #280206 6th Nov 2013 11:09pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Above advice is all great; they know more than me but a quick thought from another perspective:

Remember that if it's due a B service, especially one which requires some of the very infrequent service items being done, then that could be £400+ on the price unless you do it yourself (luckily to warranty to worry about there!) (I will attach service sheet for you to look at - check against servicing too on a vehicle you're looking at)

Click image to enlarge

Also a set of tyres needing replacing can put £700-800 on top of the asking price too!
They will last a long time (General grabbers will go 65-85k no worries but look out for age or cracking)

Also get underneath, there's a reason waxoyled/dinitrolled defenders sell better. At 5-6yo rust may be beginning to set in so in a couple years time you may have some work to do, especially outriggers and crossmember. Once rust starts it's harder to stop then prevent on a clean vehicle.

As others have said, but condition not age or mileage, and if in doubt then walk awayor seek expert advice- there are many out there. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #280250 7th Nov 2013 8:34am
Vince

United Kingdom 
Fantastic - thanks everyone.

Certainly some good pointers. I'm certainly in no hurry, I'm not buying it for winter for example so will hold out for a decent one.

While i have your attention, has anyone got experience of Bells of Rothbury?
Post #280262 7th Nov 2013 10:01am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Remember that 07 was one of the £475+ a year tax disc periods. Pre 2006/06 and post 2009/59 are £215 a year. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #280403 7th Nov 2013 8:42pm
Vince

United Kingdom 
ahh - i was looking for that information - thanks a lot.

hmm, might have a raid of the penny jar and see if i can get a 59+ in that case.
Post #280502 8th Nov 2013 8:33am
dudley472

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
my 09 is £215
Post #280507 8th Nov 2013 8:52am
myonehere

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
familymad wrote:
Remember that 07 was one of the £475+ a year tax disc periods. Pre 2006/06 and post 2009/59 are £215 a year.

no, not if its a hardtop - and I think thats what he is looking for
Post #280512 8th Nov 2013 9:37am
Vince

United Kingdom 
hi all - thanks for the advice so far. i've spotted a couple i like the look of but one of the features i really want is air con. None of the 90's i've seen so far have it fitted (apart from the xs which i think is out of my price range).

anyone know how common a feature it was to have fitted? would you go with your heart and one without aircon or brain and hold out for one with?!

oh the decisions!
Post #280766 9th Nov 2013 3:16pm
myonehere

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
I always specify air con on mine - and would NOT want to be without it. Apart from the obvious summer benefits, the ability to clear screens QUICKLY in rain is invaluable. [quicker even than using the heated screen]

You problem is that it is, I believe, quite a rare specification on hardtops - and probably (?) expensive to add afterwards.
Post #280767 9th Nov 2013 3:24pm
Cuthbert

Can't say I've ever been in a Defender with air-con (or for that matter a decent sound system). Somehow I associate those sort of 'luxury accessories' with other Land Rover products?

Thought Defenders were about utility and practicality? For me its just another 'value engineered' accessory that will probably expire three days after the warranty ceases.
Post #280868 9th Nov 2013 10:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>