↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Bolt on bits RDX LED lights......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
fitted my Tail/Brake lights took about 5 mins will do the front side lights next

Click image to enlarge
 DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #281054 10th Nov 2013 9:05pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
custom90steve wrote:
I like the idea of a full set of these but there are two issues that out me off currently.

1. A bit concerning about the trailer issue, most use incandescent lighting still not LED and even if they do or you have them they will be expensive. They say on their page it isn't an issue regardless, so anyone that can clarify that?

2. They've done really well to make a quality set but including connectors and such like, it's a shame the fog and reverse would have to be cut into. Yes, I could just leave them but the complete set would have been nice. But using all plug and play connectors. I really do hate cutting into wiring if I can avoid it where ever possible.

Steve,
Have fitted a full set incl Fog/Reverse and I didn't have to cut into anything. The plugs are supplied separate due to irregularities in the wiring of the Defender lights, but once you've located correct positive you just clip the wire into the plug.

Regarding trailer lights, I have connected up both normal and led trailer lights on various trailers and have no problem. The trailer indicator light in the dash works fine and the blink rate remains constant. The only problem is that with a normal set of trailer lights it looks like it isn't getting enough power as the RDX lights on the vehicle are so bright and the trailer lights look so dim its as if they are only 'just' working.

Definitely one of the best modifications considering performance and cost plus everything works as it should do. If there are problems it may be resolved by adjusting the new relay control.
Post #281542 12th Nov 2013 12:02pm
DRW58

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
help me decide
I'm on the point of ordering but which set to buy?
All clear Very Happy or the more original red and tango? Confused
I have a 2001 TD5.
DRW I built a garage for my Mini
With a place for everything and everthing in its place.
Ten years down the line there's a Mini in there somewhere, and Censored all's where it should be!!!! Ho hum
Post #281706 12th Nov 2013 9:20pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Mine have just arrived today. I went for clear indicators, but kept red tail lights. The 'all clear' look is a bit OTT for me, but I like the clear indicators. Same set up as I have at the moment, but currently a mix of LEDs and filament indicators, so decided to go all LED. Plus my clear filament indicators are Britpart and one of the bulb holders has melted and deformed - destined for the bin! 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #281711 12th Nov 2013 9:24pm
abiffen90

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I recently fitted a full set on my 1999 td5 90, great lights but still havnt managed to get the rear stop brake lights to work. Work with the side lights but dont get any brighter when i brake. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem?
Post #289149 10th Dec 2013 2:34pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Have they got three pins on them? Earth, sidelight positive & brake positive.

I've invested too, front sidelights arrived today. Mr. Green Not going to fit though until the Christmas period, something to do then. Smile Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #289176 10th Dec 2013 4:42pm
abiffen90

Yeah they're three pin. Should be quite easy to fit and the site said they would fit my particular model but there must be a difference somewhere. Seem to work fine on 300tdi models
Post #289180 10th Dec 2013 4:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I see, have you checked power is there on both pins? One obviously is.
Failing that there must be something up with the lights themselves of which I would contact them.
They are quite good at replying.

Thumbs Up

Forgot to mention, hope I don't sound offensive saying this but are you sure the two positives are not reversed?
(Probably not but might be the issue) Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #289184 10th Dec 2013 5:04pm
abiffen90

I originally fitted them quite late at night, which wasnt wise. And now the originals don't work with the pedal. So im assuming somethings happened with the pedal switch. Not the best with electrics.
Post #289189 10th Dec 2013 5:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You might have blown the fuse, always best to check the simple things first. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #289196 10th Dec 2013 5:34pm
abiffen90

Ill have a closer look. Cheers for your help.
Post #289199 10th Dec 2013 6:00pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Your welcome, if you get really pushed your welcome to pop down and I'll have a look for you. Thumbs Up
You can tell though if the fuse is gone by putting sidelights on and ignition. Get an assistant to press the brake and check the two positive pins for power with the multimeter. If one is dead which seems to be the brake lights not the tail then it's aether the fuse or switch.
If the fuse is gone and you find it that'll be the issue, if it's not blown it's narrowed down to the switch. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #289200 10th Dec 2013 6:09pm
dondiddy

Scotland 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Abiffen, The stop/tail wiring between 300tdi and td5/tdci is different.Your comment about them working ok on a 300tdi, have you tried them on a different Landrover and they work? If so you need to swap the wires about in the plug to get them to work. What colours do you have matching from the vehicle wiring plug to the new lights?
Post #289211 10th Dec 2013 6:47pm
abiffen90

My friend has them on a 300tdi and they work fine with the wires matched. I currently have the originals back in place, wired as they were originally, and they dont work either now, only as a tail light. What combination of wiring should i have. Im wondering if by swapping wires round at first i might have blown something...
Post #289214 10th Dec 2013 6:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Does seem like a blown fuse to me....
Especially since you mention they worked before. It's either the fuse, most likely or the switch. My guess is the fuse though. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #289216 10th Dec 2013 6:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>