↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Random fault: Turbo probably?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Random fault: Turbo probably?
Hi there!

From some time to now the Defender have a weird behavior and I suspect that the turbo is playing a trick.

Sometimes, when change gear from 2nd to 3rd the motor appears to loss power and the revs doens't go up the 1500 rpm with a max speed of 20-30 KPH. After some playing with the gears, suddendly the motor recovers its force. The problem are increased in the last days. Today in the morning was impossible to get it over the 1500 rpm and no more than 20 KPH.

No MIL ligth, and no DTC codes.
After that I change from the BAS remap to the normal one and the problem doesn't appears again (jut 2 hours freom now) but I suspect that is a not related issue. I have the ODBII reader connected now to check and the turbo boost appear to be normal.

Any thougths or idea?

Cheers! Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #265608 11th Sep 2013 1:29pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
problems
Eduardo,

sorry to hear you are having problems for which I'm afraid I can't help.

I was curious however following your rear accidnet.....did you get it all fixed up ok?

hopefully you can get this issue solved soon.

good luck.

- oops. thought I'd sent you a PM ? Embarassed Off Topic
Post #265613 11th Sep 2013 1:47pm
Eduardo

Hi Caterham

Well, still trying to figure what happens. The problem appears to be less notorious with the normal remap, but still is present. Today I connected the car to the ODB II Torque during almost 2 hours of driving to see the turbo boost behavior and no signal of malfunctioning. (Happens one time when the monitor wasnt connected)
Also I check the actuator and the turbo harness and looks OK.

Regarding the accident: All solved OK, after a long talk with the insurance company and the dealer (according to its quotation will be a write off). Finally I decide to repair it with an Indi at a fraction of the cost proposed by the dealer and all the cost werey paid by the insurance as a compensation (so, good business for all Mr. Green ).

Cheers! Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #265878 12th Sep 2013 2:21am
Eduardo

Double post again! Eduardo

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Eduardo on 12th Sep 2013 4:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #265879 12th Sep 2013 2:21am
Caterham

excellent result with the insurance.

my dad has a disco 3. when returning from italy over the alps the on board computer diagnostics registered a fault and went into limp mode. the fault since came on numerous times and the limp mode a few times.

when he got home he took it to dealers and they confirmed it was the turbo. £3k to replace.

anyhow I wasn't convinced partly cos it was intermittent and did some research on disco3.net. some suggested it could be a sticking turbo actuator arm which made good sense to me as clearly most of the time the turbo appeared to be working.

any how I eventually got to the actuator arm, started lubing it up and moving it. it did seem to move more freely after spending some time doing this on more than 1 occassion.

so any how this seemed to improve matters and the engine seemed to pickup from low rpm much better. unfortunately the diagnostics were showing a fault mostly on over run and sometimes at high rpm (above 3250 rpm).

I'd often suggested to my dad about loosing the egr and someone else had suggested the symptoms could be egr related. so stripped a few things back, wiggled the paddle where the exhaust gasses meet the fresh air in the inlet manifold and several squirts of carb cleaner and its all good now Very Happy Very Happy

not sure if this helps in anyway but hopefully it will?

good luck. Thumbs Up
Post #265905 12th Sep 2013 7:55am
Eduardo

Thanks Caterham.

My suspect is the turbo actuator also.
I have the EGR out by remap, so I discard it.
BTW, the problem appear more in the mornings than during the day

Any other idea? Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #266307 13th Sep 2013 2:10pm
Caterham

probably a red herring but I believe there's no harm in giving all the electrical connectors (under the bonnet) a good blast with connector spray to ensure a good connection.

then give the turbo actuator arm a damn good seeing to with loads of wd40.

is it still possible the egr is letting so gas past (perhaps it wasn't shutting properly when the remap was installed?)

other than that is the MAP and MAF nice and clean? and do you regularly drain off a little from the fuel filter drain?

all 5 min jobs and in my opinion worth checking on a regular basis.

it does sound like its perhaps a temp related issue but I have to say I'm no expert. thats the problem with these engines now there's so many different bits that all need to be 100% Sad
Post #266315 13th Sep 2013 2:29pm
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
It doesn't sound all that much like the turbo. What it does sound like is something causing the gear recognition to go up the spout. If something is affecting the vehicle speed over engine speed ratio (V/N) on the BAS, then it is possible that the engine is dropping into a neutral recognition, and the loss of power is coming from the driveability mapping - there to soften the pedal responses both in-gear and out of gear.

If you have a scantool connected, try to see if you can monitor the gear recognition when you drive with the fault. You should see a clear switch within a second of 2 - N - 3 for the gearchange from 2nd to 3rd gear. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #266479 13th Sep 2013 10:45pm
Eduardo

Thank Skye,

I will try to do that during the weekend

Cheers Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #266494 13th Sep 2013 11:28pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I may be wrong as I'm at home at the moment and the 2.4 I have is at work but. If its the 1500 I'm thinking of it could indicate you have a sticking brake or clutch switch possibly ?

The vehicle road speed i dont think be the issue here. The speed comes out of the transfer case from the hall sensor, is then send to the dash as analogue, the dash then converts it to CAN and sends it on the bus to the engine ecu. Unless the car repair company has touched some wires they should not have ?

Assuming when you say you are fiddling with the gears to get it to go again you are pressing the clutch the switch does seem suspect to me. Also if you have had a rear car repai how are the brake lights working ?

The Bas remap does not change anything to do with rpm, also remap files data does not change and therefore can't be this as the cause. If data changed then the file checksum and CRC would also change and the car would not start.

Pete
Post #266516 14th Sep 2013 7:32am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Skye_Rover

Yep, a sticking clutch switch would easily cause the symptoms, and would be part and parcel of the gear recognition on gearchange. 1500rpm is the magic figure for "disengaged" clutch protection. I would have to dig out some data to work-out whether the best test was switch open or shorted to prove the point, but either way the vehicle will drive strangely. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #266759 14th Sep 2013 10:14pm
Caterham

a very easy test to give an indication of the clutch switch working or not would be to disconnect the switch and give it a drive.....from my experience you get a very exagerated hang on the revs when changing gears?
Post #266761 14th Sep 2013 10:21pm
Skye_Rover

Yep, hanging-up on tip-out of the accel pedal is where the clutch is recognised as "engaged", so that test would work for tip-in assessment on gearchanges. Any lags or hesitations would point elsewhere on the engine. The switches are not exactly the most robust, so a failure here is quite likely. The TD5 uses a similar switch, but the effect of failure is not so marked as the Puma 2.4.

Eduardo - pull the connector from the clutch switch (near the clutch master cylinder) and see if that works. Or put a multimeter across the switch terminals whilst it is connected to see if the contacts are sticking - you don't need to drive the car to test this, just get someone to press and release the pedal whilst you watch the meter. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #266784 15th Sep 2013 12:47am
Eduardo

Thanks to all!

I will check it tomorrow and we will see! Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #266786 15th Sep 2013 1:16am
Caterham

how you getting on......the suspense is killing me?
Post #267187 16th Sep 2013 2:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>