↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > can anyone recommend this company?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AlexPuma42

England 
can anyone recommend this company?
Hi Guys

Since the day i bought my Defender the bumpers have been all twisted and bent - Its not an eye sore just starting to annoy me now

I do a bit of moving non running cars around etc (on a secure yard) with the landy and have to forwever turn around or get stuck in awkward situations towing from the rear

This bumper looks perfect for what i want - does anyone have any experience with this company or this style of bumper shown on the link before i invest?

Cheers

Alex

http://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/produ...-dpb000270
Post #264821 9th Sep 2013 1:21pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
Pm sent
Post #264825 9th Sep 2013 1:25pm
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
I had one a few years ago on my 90 was great got towed out several times with it no problems. Can't remember where I got it from.

I beleve good winch do a bolt over tow hitch for a standard bumper but can't see it on there website and tbruk do a multi mount for the front which a drop plate can be added these are great but expensive.
Post #264829 9th Sep 2013 1:30pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It does seem an exceedingly good price for the product and described as military 'style' (it does not imply it's a surplus one) and a little scant on detail. I'd give them a ring or if heading down the Telford area any time soon (from you about an hour and a half) ask to swing by and have a look at it perhaps? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #264832 9th Sep 2013 1:33pm
dondiddy

Scotland 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Most of the usual Land Rover parts supplier are selling this bumper with this part number. An online search will also find it for sale cheaper!I suspect that it is a Britpart item so it might be better if you saw it in person to check if it was as heavy duty as an original one. As for the company I have bought loads of surplus items from them over the years on Ebay and have always had very good service from them with prompt delivery each time.
Their place is a bit like an Alladins cave for any military buffs as they had loads and loads of hard to find stuff. I was rebuilding a Lightweight a few years ago and called in to collect a front axle that I had bought. Brand new in a packing case complete with brakes ,steering etc for £250. Not sure whether they still have as much stuff as they used to as that was about 5 years ago.
Post #264852 9th Sep 2013 2:59pm
Timo K

Finland 
Just to let you know, most bumpers that look like that are indeed "HD" and alot stronger than the stock one... Apart from the ends, which are the parts you bend usually... They're exactly the same as on the original bumper since the box reinforcement stops about 15cm from the end. It's only stronger in the middle and gives you the benefit of a good solid tow point, but the ends are still butter.
Post #264865 9th Sep 2013 3:51pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
If you have an aircon grille you might find removing the pin a bit troublesome. Personally I'd go for a genuine military bumper or one from Black Sheep Offroad or similar. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #264900 9th Sep 2013 6:07pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
The mil bumpers are not really much stronger than a civvy one. The centre piece where the pin goes, is usually braced at the back, but that's about it.

As Timo said, the ends are the same (and being "military" spec, they have numerous holes in them for flag poles etc, so are in fact slighly weaker!)

I've got one in the garage, a genuine military jobbie, and the metal is no thicker than a normal civ one.

Far better to get one of the 5mm thick ones from D44 or Killer90 on here... you can have lights in those as well!
Post #264903 9th Sep 2013 6:20pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
As Jim says: They are as strong as the standard bumper (they are not reinforced.

The pin in the middle isn't even designed for off-road recovery (I have seen quite a few destroyed in this way)- millitary Land Rovers have Jate rings for recovery. It is used for road recovery through draw bar or light recovery vehicle.

As mentioned above you want a proper HD bumper- loads out there at cheap prices if that is what you want. Or if you want to keep the bumper looking nice the best option would be to make a bracket up that you can hook/ strap to your next 'nice' bumper- a 2m length of 2x4 as it will add strength and buffering.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #265105 10th Sep 2013 10:13am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Remember however that if the ends of the bumper are unnecessarily strong, and impact which will bend a standard bumper and no other parts will end up bending the front outriggers of the chassis.

There's a lot to be said for a fair bit of strength in the centre of the bumber but less in the ends.
Post #265119 10th Sep 2013 11:00am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
In relation to the OP I believe that there is no risk of high speed impact.

WIth reference to it damaging chassis- If the bumper folds it results in the front axle being forced back and more then likely the wheel will move through the bulkhead into the ca, the engine/ gearbox/ transfer box will also be affected in a similar way.

I have a TJM bumper which is VERY rigid and saved me when traveling through Ukraine. I drove away with a few scratches on the bumper and a buckled wheel- the other vehicle was a complete write off. I then continued on my drive (another 3,000 miles) and have checked the chassis and it is as straight as an arrow.

Click image to enlarge

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #265127 10th Sep 2013 11:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
In an incident like that I agree that a strong bumper is a disctinct advantage! It isn't quite the type of incident I had in mind though.
Post #265140 10th Sep 2013 12:52pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Looks like the crumple zone of the car did what it was designed to do. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #265142 10th Sep 2013 1:04pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I had a very similar bumper on an earlier Land Rover - I tee boned a car on a dual carriageway at some quite significant speed as it tried to nip across in front of me to do a right turn from the opposite direction . They were a complete write off and mine looked at first to only have a slight backwards bend in the bumper/bullbar and a few paint scratches.

On a more detailed examination it had actually crinkled the top of both chassis legs just in front of the front cross member.
Post #265220 10th Sep 2013 4:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1