↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Friction modifier in MT82 gearbox ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Friction modifier in MT82 gearbox ?
Having seen pages of issues from American owners with the Getrag box (in its Mustang application) a common solution is to use Ford Friction Modifier FMC XL3. It comes in 118ml bottles and you just tip it in for a light and easy gearchange. Its only priced in $ so I don't know if you can get it from your local Ford dealer.

Has anyone used this in a Defender and does it work ?

I also noticed that with the LR genuine mats the clutch pedal doesn't quite reach the bottom of its full travel as they are fairly thick and maybe doesn't disengage fully ??
Post #87002 1st Sep 2011 9:30am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Friction modifier in MT82 gearbox ?
rossy wrote:
Having seen pages of issues from American owners with the Getrag box (in its Mustang application) a common solution is to use Ford Friction Modifier FMC XL3. It comes in 118ml bottles and you just tip it in for a light and easy gearchange. Its only priced in $ so I don't know if you can get it from your local Ford dealer.

Has anyone used this in a Defender and does it work ?

I also noticed that with the LR genuine mats the clutch pedal doesn't quite reach the bottom of its full travel as they are fairly thick and maybe doesn't disengage fully ??

Can't comment on the friction modifier but I would be interested to hear the results if anyone tried it. In my experience the 'box actually works better when cold than hot, which suggests to me that a more viscous oil (increased friction) might be prefereable to reduced friction.

I have found the same issue with the clutch and mats, and find that the gearchange is better if you consciously press the clutch pedal hard on the floor when changing gear. I have for some time been intending to try removing the mat to see what difference (if any) it makes, but haven't got round to it yet.
Post #87004 1st Sep 2011 9:53am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
see http://jalopnik.com/5796207/ford-silent-on...nsmissions

Quote:
Two weeks ago, we wrote about hundreds of 2011 Ford Mustang owners reporting problems with the six-speed manual transmissions in their vehicles. We're now hearing more complaints — almost daily — but we have yet to hear from Ford. Color us puzzled.
Scores of owners say they have problems ranging from hard shifts to outright failures in the MT82 transmissions built in China by a Ford-Getrag joint venture. Ford has issued one technical service bulletin to dealers telling them to swap transmission fluid, and suggested a problem with bolts in the clutch plate as another possible solution. Yet the complaints keep coming, and whatever it's told dealers, Ford has said nothing to customers or to Jalopnik.
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #87016 1st Sep 2011 10:56am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Had a chat with a guy yesterday who tows for a living - 2009 110 XS SW, 147,000 miles and has got through two gearboxes under warranty Sad He says he hasn't needed a new clutch Shocked but they probably replaced that when they put in new boxes without him knowing...

Gooing to look at the LR mat under the pedal now Thumbs Up
Post #87030 1st Sep 2011 12:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Don't you think Land Rover might try to squirm out of any transmission warranty claims if they happen to discover you've shoved additives in the g'box? Just a thought, not saying they will, not saying they won't. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #87039 1st Sep 2011 1:45pm
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: Friction modifier in MT82 gearbox ?
blackwolf wrote:

I have found the same issue with the clutch and mats, and find that the gearchange is better if you consciously press the clutch pedal hard on the floor when changing gear. I have for some time been intending to try removing the mat to see what difference (if any) it makes, but haven't got round to it yet.

I read this earlier, and removed the THICK rubber mat for the drive home.. I got an extra half inch of clutch pedal travel by removing the mat. Definitely made a difference, but still very snatchy going into 2nd or third...
Time to bleed the clutch methinks.... ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #87082 1st Sep 2011 7:53pm
dgardel

Italy 
http://www.ceramicpowerliquid.com/englisch2/prodotti/prod6.htm

only one words

FANTASTIC!!!! Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #87098 1st Sep 2011 8:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Miserableolgit wrote:
Don't you think Land Rover might try to squirm out of any transmission warranty claims if they happen to discover you've shoved additives in the g'box? Just a thought, not saying they will, not saying they won't.

I'm sure they would look for any reason to wriggle out of any accountability but because I intend to be driving this car in 20 years time and because there is enough evidence to suggest that the MT82 aint the best box in the world my argument would be that armed with this knowledge I am entitled to take reasonable steps to look after the thing. Its my motor after all and LR have my hard earned in return. Ford have been suggesting the above additive to disgruntled Mustang owners and in fairness it appears to be working although whether its a long term fix who knows.
I did change the Gbox oil after only 400 miles and found the oil that came out to be full of tiny metal shards (looked like glitter) so anything that will promote its longevity is worth a try. Its for the same reason that I use 2 stroke oil in the derv even though I'm sure LR would react as if I told them I was putting sugar in the tank !
Post #87112 1st Sep 2011 11:48pm
pannawonica

Australia 
Rossy, I am also still in warrenty. However very interested in the results of the Ford or other additives in the MT82. It does not take very long to heat the gearbox up to the point where this issue becomes evident. I think the the solution may eventually be of a more engineered or mechanical in nature.
Ford also have a Transit H/D application of this box this could be the solution, or some form of cooler?
Post #87116 2nd Sep 2011 3:26am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Since I use Shell Getrieboel GL-4 and half shot of LM Getriebiol additive. Runs cooler and no more issues between 2nd and 3rd. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #87137 2nd Sep 2011 8:32am
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
[quote="rossy"]
Miserableolgit wrote:
Its for the same reason that I use 2 stroke oil in the derv even though I'm sure LR would react as if I told them I was putting sugar in the tank !

Ho Rossy, how much 2 stroke oil do you put in every fill tank full?
Post #87157 2nd Sep 2011 10:09am
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
Don't compare the MT82 in the Defender with the Mustang Version - they use the heavy duty version also available for Ford Transit. If you change to the MT82 with HD clutch you get much heavier clutch work, but a vastly strengthened lifetime (HD box and clutch are originally meant for really heavy use of Transits). Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #87159 2nd Sep 2011 10:14am
dgardel

Italy 
[quote="nicks"]
rossy wrote:
Miserableolgit wrote:
Its for the same reason that I use 2 stroke oil in the derv even though I'm sure LR would react as if I told them I was putting sugar in the tank !

I put 300cc every full Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #87161 2nd Sep 2011 10:15am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
nicks wrote:

1:200 ratio is the recommended dose.

I can't be bothered, so when I fill up I buy a bottle of 200ml and chuck that in. I fill up from the reserve light, so usually 40-45L, so 200ml is about right. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #87163 2nd Sep 2011 10:23am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Miserableolgit wrote:
Don't you think Land Rover might try to squirm out of any transmission warranty claims if they happen to discover you've shoved additives in the g'box? Just a thought, not saying they will, not saying they won't.

I think you can shorten that to "don't you think Land Rover might try to squirm out of any warrenty claim"... Disco 3 gone but the memory of the bills remain...
XS 110 Utility maybe one day..... (did they fix the quality yet?)
Post #87193 2nd Sep 2011 2:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>