↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > HU + Speakers + Aerial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
RichardBattersby

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
HU + Speakers + Aerial
Hi! New to the forum and new to being a Land Rover owner, although I'm not quite there yet. We've ordered a new 90 HT from Ripon which is yet to be delivered. We thought it might be better to save the 450 that it would cost to get a basic Alpine HU and speakers from the LR factory and source bits ourselves so we'll need the whole kit and caboodle.

So far, I'm liking the Alpine kit, although after reading through lots of threads on here, people seem to like the Kenwood stuff too. Head unit wise, I like the Alpine http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/dab3842/cde-136bt because of it's features like Parrot BT, DAB and iPhone connectivity.

The speakers I'm finding more tricky as I don't really understand the different types. We probably won't venture into the realms of subs and amps just yet (is that OK?) so would like recommendations / comments / advice about the speakers we need - under-dash (10cm I think) and tweeters (size?)

What is the difference between coaxial and component speakers and which should I get?
Very much in the novice 'not a clue' stage. Embarassed Defender 90 HT Corris Grey Puma 2.2TDCi
Post #259612 18th Aug 2013 1:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Standard size for under dash speakers are 10cm tweeters are 1"
Components are a woofer as a speaker below the dash (mid range frequency so bass / mid compined with a cross over and pair of Tweeters. (A cross over only divides frequency between the tow don't get worried about these)
Personally I have 10cm Kenwood Coaxials below dash and to the rear right now with Kicker tweeters separate so not a component set.
Head Unit wise it'd be Kenwood for me over Alpine every time. (But this is personal preference to you what you yourself would like) Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #259638 18th Aug 2013 4:46pm
RichardBattersby

OK so I need two 10cm under dash speakers and two 1" tweeters.
Could you explain what cross over is please Question
Why wouldn't you go with Alpine, just out of interest? Is there anything special about Kenwood? Defender 90 HT Corris Grey Puma 2.2TDCi
Post #259653 18th Aug 2013 5:38pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Steve prefers Kenwood, I prefer Alpine Whistle That head unit I have been looking at for a while for the DAB. It is a great unit and bluetooth works well. So your 90 is coming without any speakers ?
Post #259670 18th Aug 2013 7:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
barbel jim wrote:
Steve prefers Kenwood, I prefer Alpine Whistle

Twisted Evil Each to their own. Twisted Evil
Ultimately though they do the same things pretty much. Laughing Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #259672 18th Aug 2013 8:01pm
RichardBattersby

barbel jim wrote:
Steve prefers Kenwood, I prefer Alpine Whistle That head unit I have been looking at for a while for the DAB. It is a great unit and bluetooth works well. So your 90 is coming without any speakers ?

Great to hear someone likes the Alpine kit too. That's right, no radio, no speakers but is 'radio ready'. What speakers do you have?

Need a new aerial too. Don't fancy the windscreen stick on jobby so have been looking at new wintop aerials. Pam (on here) suggested this one http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Bloomice_BM-0...erial.html. Does anyone else have any opions on DAB aerials? Defender 90 HT Corris Grey Puma 2.2TDCi
Post #259673 18th Aug 2013 8:04pm
RichardBattersby

custom90steve wrote:
barbel jim wrote:
Steve prefers Kenwood, I prefer Alpine Whistle

Twisted Evil Each to their own. Twisted Evil
Ultimately though they do the same things pretty much. Laughing Laughing

OK, good to know. As long as I'm not missing out on anything that I should be considering. Smile Defender 90 HT Corris Grey Puma 2.2TDCi
Post #259674 18th Aug 2013 8:05pm
barbel jim

Pam and Dave have been using JVC DAB units for some time, so know what works Thumbs Up If you do a search on DAB Aerials there is a thread somewhere IIRC. I personally have Focal speakers, but plenty of Big Cry As you said no amps etc yet but a 4" component set will set starts around 100. Fit spacer rings, or cut the dash a bit and you will get 5" which will sound better and give you a wider choice. I think you'll want to add a active sub to give you some decent bass as a 500 set of speakers will still sound like a coke can Rolling with laughter You can get an Alpine, Kenwood, focal etc and they make a massive difference. I've fitted them like this on the bulk head to give you an idea. Might get a second hand one for 50, but new start around 150. Any questions just ask, and some of us will help with fitting for a few beers Whistle

Click image to enlarge
Post #259681 18th Aug 2013 8:18pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I prefer Pioneer- always found them to be more user friendly displays/menus- But nearly went Alpine this last time, the deal clincher in the end was the sales guy.

Me: Can I plug my ipod in to make sure I am happy with the menu/control.

Salesman: You will like it, it is good.

Me: I would rather try it before I buy so can you get the cable.

Salesman: You don't need to try it you will like it- we will even fit it for free.

Me (getting irate by now): I would like to test it first and will fit it myself thankyou.

Salesman: But we will do a much better job of fitting it than you could

Me: *Walked out of shop and bought from the other one*

In the end went for the Pioneer unit that had parrot bluetooth and CD (loads don't do that now). Thanks to Alex (TATRA) I have now first hand experienced the difference a sub makes in a Defender. When I do my re-jig over the next few months I will have the following:

Pioneer HU.

Speakers and separate tweeters (I will be going 13cm as I don't want components as you loose quite a lot of quality).

Active sub somewhere in the back.

That should give cracking audio (no point going OTT as it will never be great in a Defender).

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #259686 18th Aug 2013 8:41pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Glynparry25 wrote:
(no point going OTT as it will never be great in a Defender).
Glyn Dog Sheep

That depends on what you fit and how much work and effort you put into it. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #259694 18th Aug 2013 9:08pm
Glynparry25

I agree...... but spending in the region of 2k and then doing all the work involved in stripping the whole vehicle out to fit the dynamat, then build enclosures etc you might as well have bought a D3 with the upgraded audio. Plus the Defender will probably leak and soak the amp Rolling with laughter

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #259697 18th Aug 2013 9:13pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ah yes there is budget too. But that's all part of the fun though stripping it out and fitting bits. And a D3 would never match the power of the audio as standard if you really went to town on it on a Defender. But as you say to really go all out it would cost serious money with premium kit.

No one want a Fli trap then in theirs? Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #259699 18th Aug 2013 9:18pm
barbel jim

Glynparry25 wrote:
I agree...... but spending in the region of 2k and then doing all the work involved in stripping the whole vehicle out to fit the dynamat, then build enclosures etc you might as well have bought a D3 with the upgraded audio. Plus the Defender will probably leak and soak the amp Rolling with laughter

Glyn Dog Sheep

You can go off people Whistle and ffrr audio will not keep up let alone a D3 Rolling with laughter

most competition guys either fit Pioneer or Alpine due to the SQ they produce at source. Pioneer tend to be a little more bassy, and Alpine clarity on the highs, But I will concede speaker placement in a defender means these slight differences will not be noticeable. Rolling with laughter
Post #259727 18th Aug 2013 10:04pm
RichardBattersby

barbel jim wrote:
Glynparry25 wrote:

Glyn Dog Sheep

You can go off people Whistle and ffrr audio will not keep up let alone a D3 Rolling with laughter

most competition guys either fit Pioneer or Alpine due to the SQ they produce at source. Pioneer tend to be a little more bassy, and Alpine clarity on the highs, But I will concede speaker placement in a defender means these slight differences will not be noticeable. Rolling with laughter

Thanks. Trying to decide on speakers now. I've found these as options http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-Innovations...escription and http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/kfc-s1094-speakers
I'm not 100% sure if they're suitable / compatible. Do I need co-axial or component? Defender 90 HT Corris Grey Puma 2.2TDCi
Post #260643 22nd Aug 2013 8:00pm
Glynparry25

It is all in the figures.....The power rating.

First work out what the HU puts out- probably 4x50? That is 'Peak power' RMS will/ should be about 30 give or take a few watts.

You need this to roughly match your speakers.... THe good thing about the Alpine speakers- they have given you the RMS power of 45W... this means it will suit the HU quite well....... But the Kenwood only states 'Peak power' Which means RMS could be anything- it could even only be 10W (But more than likely not).

Those should both do the job so more down to personal choice Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #260673 22nd Aug 2013 9:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>