↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > HU + Speakers + Aerial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
RichardBattersby

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Glynparry25 wrote:
It is all in the figures.....The power rating.

First work out what the HU puts out- probably 4x50? That is 'Peak power' RMS will/ should be about 30 give or take a few watts.

You need this to roughly match your speakers.... THe good thing about the Alpine speakers- they have given you the RMS power of 45W... this means it will suit the HU quite well....... But the Kenwood only states 'Peak power' Which means RMS could be anything- it could even only be 10W (But more than likely not).

Those should both do the job so more down to personal choice Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep

Thanks for your input! It's 4x50W, yes. So if I go for these http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/type-s-speakers37/sps-110tw and these http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/type-g-speakers375/spg-10c2 - the tweeters say peak power 300W, RMS power 100W. The 10cm are peak power 180W and RMS 45W (<assuming these come individually? so would need two).
So that gives me a total peak power of 660W and total RMS of 190W. The RMS therefore looks fine but the peak seems far too high? Or is the peak not important? Defender 90 HT Corris Grey Puma 2.2TDCi
Post #260680 22nd Aug 2013 9:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
As Glyn is intimating HU power output can be variable in a fairly in-accurate way. It's something that I find quite annoying really as peak power isn't much use at all. RMS is constant rated and Peak is peak power output (think of a power spike on a chart) peak is what it can handle momentarily and RMS constant. IMO Amp's are the way to go but costs rise a lot but the power is massively upped and probably quality too.
I personally like class D though for efficiency.
Smile Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #260684 22nd Aug 2013 9:40pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Those are nice looking speakers Smile

With the Tweeters and coaxials you don't add the wattages as they work off different frequencies- the Tweeters handle the high end stuff and the coaxials will take care of the mid range (and some high due to the in built tweeter). Then if you added a Sub, that does the low down frequencies.

As Steve says, the best way forward is Amplifiers.... but then you are looking to at least double the cost- if not treble the cost of your install.

Speakers are 'normally' advertised in pairs unless you are talking about high end stuff- but then it tends to be hundreds f pounds a speaker!!.

If you are looking fora good system I would say go for the HU, the speakers you have selected (and crossover). If you can fit a pair of speakers in the back to, get them in, and then also fit an active sub- I am not up to date on them (I am used to building enclosures and external amps). This would give you Greatsound which will be clear. I would say a budget of about 500-1000 will be needed depending on what you buy.

If you are a audiofreak, bass junkie etc.... You are best going down the route of High end speakers, amplifiers, complete soundproofing, enclosures, multiple subs etc......... Price can at this point take you from 1,000 to in excess of 3,000........ But you would be able to bounce a penny on the hood and make your passengers ears bleed Thumbs Up

It all come down to what you want from it.

I run my Pioneer HU, a set of 10cm Infinity speakers and LR tweeters, and it is OK.... nothing more, nothing less. I will over the next year (spending on suspension/ drivetrain at the moment) be upgrading mine- probably 13cm speakers, tweeters with crossover and then a set of 15cm and a 12" sub in the back of the cab through an Amp. Lucky for me I can do all the work myself so will be able to keep costs down Very Happy

The FCX 130 is a good example of what can be done with time and effort Thumbs Up I wish I got Mat to power up the system when I was down there.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #260711 22nd Aug 2013 10:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Even if you go the whole works of soundproofing and so on I think IMO the Defender deserves some pretty powerful audio anyway. After all your not talking about a eurobox shopping trolley Laughing To make it "bump" you need a lot of power. Laughing
Personally I don't like loud music but I do like very powerful bass. This is why I've gone mid power output speakers (from HU) tweeters HU powered again but high quality. Non Amped because I know I wont like it. And sub quite high power. Mine's an 8" at the moment due to location but is astonishingly powerful for an 8"
If I was to go for say two 12" subs for the rear and a stereo amp of the same brand of the rest (Kicker) I could easily wright off a good 200 per sub and 500 for the Amp and wiring probably another 100 all in to boot.
At the end of the day although we all have brand likes and dislikes they pretty much do the same job and if you want better higher quality and higher power music then you need to go higher power. BUT premium quality brands to keep the quality high. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #260731 22nd Aug 2013 11:08pm
RichardBattersby

Thanks both! Looks like it's all sorted then. I've been in touch with DAB on Wheels (really good service so far, good comms) and they've recommended an aerial. So with 42 days until delivery, yes I'm that sad/excited that I'm counting the days Embarassed , I'd like to start ordering. Having never ordered anything car-related online before I don't know the best sites and the sites to avoid. Any recommendations for the Alpine kit?

The cheapest sites for the speakers seem to be:
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-...-27586.htm
and
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/alpine-spg1...htwGldwZD8
Any good?
Cow Defender 90 HT Corris Grey Puma 2.2TDCi
Post #261592 27th Aug 2013 11:20am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Car Audio Direct are good. And I'd also recommend In Car Music Leyton too. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #261597 27th Aug 2013 12:04pm
Glynparry25

42 days.... lol, that sure is a good old wait..... but then again 'good things come to those who wait'. Lots of sleepless nights in anticipation!!

I am pretty out of touch with the companies out there, but used that one you have posted a link of (car audio centre) and they sent my stereo out pretty quick with no hassle Smile

custom90steve wrote:
Car Audio Direct are good.

I used to use CAD all the time many years ago when I was into Hot hatches and coupes (I have grown out of all that now.......maybe Whistle ). They always provided a good service... BUT when going back to order a stereo this last year they pointed out that they refuse to deliver to millitary addresses- something that puts me off companies pretty quickly.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #261601 27th Aug 2013 12:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That's a shame. Confused I've also used Radio World via E-bay which has been good also.
The only one I can think of that 'd avoid is Audio Visual World. As someone here mentioned previously the address is a residential one yet the company site seems extensive. Not something I trust anyway. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #261603 27th Aug 2013 12:20pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Used both in the past. Mail order from Dynamic which was after a 30 minute advice conversation, very helpful and knowledgeable, and visited Car audio center in Leicester, again excellent service, and they did a deal in store Whistle Is there not an ICE shop local ish to you? This would be my preference, sure a deal can be done, stat the model numbers that you want etc. Build a rapport with them and get personal service. Thumbs Up
Post #261605 27th Aug 2013 12:21pm
RichardBattersby

Glynparry25 wrote:
42 days.... lol, that sure is a good old wait..... but then again 'good things come to those who wait'. Lots of sleepless nights in anticipation!!

Definitely! Big Cry
Thanks for the suggestions. Need to see if there is anyone local to go and chat to.

With regards to fitting. What are your opinions on doing it myself? Or am I best letting LR / someone else do it for me? I'd like to do it myself but am a COMPLETE novice and therefore never done anything like this before. The last thing I want to do is damage my new machine, or indeed the speakers / HU, or invalidate any warranties. LR say the vehicle is 'Radio Ready'. Does that mean the cables are sat there waiting for me to plug bits in or is it a case of panel popping and cable routing? I'm not sure I'm keen if it's the latter. Defender 90 HT Corris Grey Puma 2.2TDCi
Post #261640 27th Aug 2013 4:50pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Local ice shop will probably fit or know of fitters Thumbs Up Steve will but he's in cider country and i'm about 90 mins away. I'm sure there is probably a member local who will hold your hand Wink 'radio ready' implies all the wiring should be in-situ but you will need to run wires for your Aerial, so there may be a bit of panel popping. Whatever you do don't use Halfords for fitting. If there is no one to help you, and from what you have said, a fitter sounds like the way forward. Recommendations are better than anything and check fitter is insured, state what you want and expect and only pay once you are happy with install.
Post #261646 27th Aug 2013 5:06pm
RichardBattersby

barbel jim wrote:
Local ice shop will probably fit or know of fitters Thumbs Up Steve will but he's in cider country and i'm about 90 mins away. I'm sure there is probably a member local who will hold your hand Wink 'radio ready' implies all the wiring should be in-situ but you will need to run wires for your Aerial, so there may be a bit of panel popping. Whatever you do don't use Halfords for fitting. If there is no one to help you, and from what you have said, a fitter sounds like the way forward. Recommendations are better than anything and check fitter is insured, state what you want and expect and only pay once you are happy with install.

Good advice. Thank you. Defender 90 HT Corris Grey Puma 2.2TDCi
Post #261648 27th Aug 2013 5:07pm
Glynparry25

Pretty much as Jim says....... Give it a go first- it is all soooooooo simple (especially if it has the wiring). Plus it then means you know the system and it will make any fault finding simple.

HU:
DIN mount (standard size for many years).
Plug.... is it a new Defender? I remember someone saying that an adapter is needed for the newer trucks?

Speakers:
You will have all the wires- all you will need to do is put them on (one large, one small so no getting it wrong) and then screw them into place- Screw holes are pretty standard now and they should nicely line up with no need to drill.

Aerial: Depends what you have ordered..... normally simple enough to route through. I find passing air line 1/8 or 1/4 through the hole/ grommet first as it quite rigid, then tape the aerial plug to the end and pull it through.

For the whole process you will probably just have to remove the centre panel. If half way through you get lost, just pop on here with pictures and I am sure some of us can talk you through it Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #261662 27th Aug 2013 6:21pm
RichardBattersby

Thanks Glyn. I'd really like to have a go, just worried I'll damage something. If the centre panel has to come off would it be screws? Would I need any special tools? It'll be a brand new 2013 Puma. Haven't ordered the aerial yet but looking at this one: http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Hirschmann_AU...erial.html
Not sure whether it needs connectors or extra cabling? Defender 90 HT Corris Grey Puma 2.2TDCi
Post #261665 27th Aug 2013 6:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Two Torx screws on the front the rest pulls out. Pull towards you and it should come free. There are small clips that are a push fit near the outer edges. Not a lot you can break just be firm but gentle. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #261669 27th Aug 2013 6:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>