↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Puma speaker size upgrade?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Puma speaker size upgrade?
I remember speaking to another member (Harald) previously that had 13cm Polk IIRC speakers fitted in his Defender. In my own I have 10cm Kenwoods but are there others out there with a Puma running 13cm speakers?
I also am wondering if it would even be worth it to go from a 10cm to a 13cm for just a few watts of power and a tiny bit more bass?
Also another couple of things that concern me is the fit to the rear on the OS is quite tight especially for the magnet / basket and also on the standard speaker holes there is a slight lip all around about only 1mm high but surely if the hole was cut out a little to the side to enlarge is that would be just enough to stop it going in flush and especially the grille?
The holes could always be slightly enlarged from the centre keeping the speakers in the exact central position but the is still the issue of clearance on the OS. I guess a lot of measuring is the answer.

Click image to enlarge

Finally I know spacers would work but I can't stand them for sticking out. Especially on a Puma. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #251244 14th Jul 2013 5:28pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Well worth it Steve. Thumbs Up
The SQ will be improved as it takes less effort to move more air ! Price wise there is little difference if any, and you have a far bigger choice over 4 ". Mounting/ fitting wise I see no real problems Whistle I'm sure you'll find it easy.
Post #251258 14th Jul 2013 6:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I find they are great speakers and brilliant quality but due to the size lack any real bass. Yes, I have a sub but there needs to be a better mid range too.
When I get time I must measure the clearance on the OS to the rear where it's tight and go from there. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #251260 14th Jul 2013 6:33pm
barbel jim

There's more room than you think bud. Fitted some 70mm deep 4" a doodle to a mates puma. Yes the pipe work causes an issue, but I would move them over slightly and go for a 5". It will give you that mid range. In my TD5 I have focal polyglass shallow mounts which are excellent Thumbs Up
Post #251269 14th Jul 2013 6:52pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Jim - That was what I was thinking of doing but that slight lip around the edge put me off a little (probably for no reason) and also how did you cut it out a bit? I assume a dremel type tool? Of which I don't have. Sad

I meant to ask you Jim.....
Off Topic
Why is it most HU's spec list always have vague power output figures? Most just say 4x 50w or 4x 40w or similar. But never list RMS or Peak output at all. Confused Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #251280 14th Jul 2013 7:41pm
barbel jim

Stitch drilling works wonders Whistle lots of little holes next to each other then. Join using snips, larger drill bits or hack saw blades. Tidy up with a file simples Thumbs Up use the same technique on the bulk head removal bars from mud !!! Regards your h/unit question , pass but at a guess marketing. Bragging rights at the local car meet etc. classic case of all the gear no idea !! Most people woo are looking for rms will also be running amps Thumbs Up
Post #251357 15th Jul 2013 2:51am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Very true, A 90 can be a bit of a pain to find room for though for multiple Amps. I must say though I am a fan of class D Amp's with the newest style low profile designs. Keeps heat down and efficient on power too.
The drilling idea is a good one too I didn't think of that. Confused Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #251388 15th Jul 2013 9:34am
custom90

United Kingdom 
barbel jim wrote:
I would move them over slightly and go for a 5".

I think what your saying is ideal but how about how they sit against the dash. A 4" is flush to the dash as you can see from the photo at the top but within the slightly raised area of the dash surrounding the hole on the Puma. It's not a flat surface... So may not sit flush..
Unless of course the whole raised area can be removed but is tricky with both A avoiding the pipe on the OS and B still keeping enough area for the grille and speaker to mount flush along the the screws. The rear 90HT panels should be no problem at all though.
I wonder if there is a product that could be used to mate with the existing dash plastic in liquid form so it could be put to a flat surface and then cut out so it's a easy flush fit.
Perhaps I'm reading more into it than need be though. Again. Embarassed Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #252700 20th Jul 2013 10:44pm
barbel jim

Rolling Eyes They do, it's called silicon !!! or cut large washers out of 2mm rubber, pack with acoustic cloth, felt etc etc- easy Thumbs Up Whistle
Post #252781 21st Jul 2013 3:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Good idea. All be it with sarcasm.. Razz
Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #252922 22nd Jul 2013 9:09am
barbel jim

Thumbs Up
Post #252976 22nd Jul 2013 12:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Silicone is fun stuff... Especially for trying to get it where it should be but rather likes to end up where it shouldn't! Then a complete pig to remove. Rolling Eyes I think adding it to shape and thickness on a masked up speaker grill would be a better option than the dash it's self. At least then your not bent double trying to even get at it. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #253054 22nd Jul 2013 6:25pm
barbel jim

i would do it in situ Steve, mask the surrounding area, use meths to wipe up excess. Personally think I would go with the rubber washer idea. Think it would be easier Thumbs Up
Post #253093 22nd Jul 2013 9:35pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I know the stuff you mean I bought a little bit last year. Only thing is it might not be so neat as Silicone. Silicone you can to a degree manipulate a little to form a shape and neat finish. Not sure how rubber would turn out. Something to look into anyway that's for sure at some point. Thanks Jim. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #253116 22nd Jul 2013 10:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1