↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > 2.2 flat spots
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Not a flat spot as such, more like kangaroo juice!

2012, 90 2.2 with 19,000 miles on clock.

Sometimes in 1st and second gear low speed say 5 -10 mph it acts like Skippy the kangaroo. Foot is definitely on the accelerator say 1/3 down.

Any ideas Pete/folks

Brendan
Post #345556 16th Jul 2014 10:19am
guy.cashmore

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Tamar Blue
Pete, will do the test when I'm next using the car (probably tomorrow) and let you know what I find. 5 Land Rovers and a Corsa!
Post #345559 16th Jul 2014 10:34am
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
kangaroo juice at slow speeds and low throttle postion is part of the mapping also though is a different thing in a different map area really to the other mentioned above,

But is possibily to make it to a minimium with a map twisting session but not totally totally removeable, but adarn sight better. Its actually hard to remove as its so lowin the throttle and rpm and speed range and transmition slack has a part to playin it also.

Pete
Post #345566 16th Jul 2014 10:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Sounds like a case for Uncle Petes magic wand, fairy dust and mumbo jumbo to cure it then Thumbs Up

No I do not understand remaps, I leave that to Uncle Pete Bow down

We need to have a chat Pete Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #345575 16th Jul 2014 12:34pm
bell-auto-services

Thumbs Up gis a shout when you are ready and we will mull over it.
Post #345597 16th Jul 2014 3:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Well, having started this thread a year ago it is about time to report back Thumbs Up

The simple answer is that the flat spots/lack of power are still there Big Cry

I tried your test Pete and have to say you are right.

Going up through the gears when going 3 to 4 and up, 100% off the throttle and it can be like hitting a brick wall when I apply the power again. If I don't back off 100% then it is far better.

Strange thing is that it has suddenly got worse over the last two weeks along with the rev hold seeming to have extended itself.

Dealer did look a while back and they found nothing wrong.

I have a new take off ECU sat here, just got to get all the way up to Yorkshire now for Pete to work his magic !

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #345647 16th Jul 2014 8:40pm
bell-auto-services

Thumbs Up

Glad you found the resullts I expected with the flat spot/pauseon accelleration.

The rev hang thing you mention as imsure you know is yet another quirk of the landrover mapping of which hopefully ill work on as a seperate item/quirk once my current develpoement work is finished on the latest BAS project.

Used take off ecus are no good as the chassis number is OTP in the ecu, you need tohaveeitheryour own ecu done or have fitted and codded to your car a new blank ecu and then it can have mapping tweeks.

Used ecus though are possibile to fit are messy with the chassis number being present from its first fitted car.

The dealer wont be able to see what I can see from the ecu and can only do the test you did to find out if the car is doing it or not providing they know how to do the test, further than that because the quirk is a mapping quirk it will not ever be shown diagnosticlly.

What I will say is the exact same is inside EVERY 2.2 model calibration, its just some people feel/notice it and some dont.

Regards Pete
Post #345656 16th Jul 2014 9:05pm
bob neville

Thanks for the info Pete Thumbs Up

The take off ECU didn't cost me anything so I am not worried about that.

Can you still supply new ECU's ?

The standard rev hang I have got used to, it just seems to have got worse in the last couple of weeks. I am going to check that the sensor that fell out of the manifold a few months back has not gone AWOL again Laughing

I am due in Rosedale Abbey mid September and am sure I can extend my visit by a day to visit you with some hard earned cash to work your magic - just have to convince SWHMBO Whistle

Cheers

Post #345677 16th Jul 2014 9:44pm
bell-auto-services

Your welcome.

Yes at the moment I still have stock of the spare ecus and can code it to your car no problem. September is no problem and if you are about this was is good to doat the same time.

Do let me know if the sensor has come out again, ive not seen them come out before so interests me if its a problem area.

Pete
Post #345679 16th Jul 2014 9:48pm
keith

Scotland 
I'v had the flat - spot kangarooing at exactly 1750 rpm since new .
Spoke to my dealer head mechanic today about it and he recognises it's a problem , says the same happens with other vehicles also . It's where the ecu program switches from one brain to another and it's that In between gap at exactly those revs that causes the hicup . He recons there is no cure .
Post #345892 17th Jul 2014 8:01pm
bell-auto-services

He is partly correct in that their is currently no Landrover cure.

That said we tuners are "on the other side of the fence to LR mechanics" and have a massivly different tool pallet and software selection available compared to the dealers and so we are able to test and develope as well as apply fixes without having to wait for Landrover to release a new calibration for the SDD tool.

Providing we understand the quirk in question and how its come about and understand the calibration structure we can apply fixes to it at will like I have for the throttle pause quirk.

Fixing this different kangarooing problem is as easy as the throttle quirk.

I suspect your kangarooing problem is related to a fairly light throttle, almost not accellerating and not decellerating and most probabally hovering arround in the lower gears. with a throttle postion of less than 30% ?

Pete

Last edited by bell-auto-services on 17th Jul 2014 9:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #345903 17th Jul 2014 8:55pm
keith

Scotland 
Pete
I did mention to the technician that I knew a man who has magic wands for fingers and a brain to fix any ecu
( you mate ) and yes you are totally correct on your assumption of my throttle position . It happens in all gears at exactly 1750 rpm whilst gently feathering the throttle . It's almost as though there's a starvation of fuel or air but always throttles through it .
Cheers mate I wl be to see you in the nxt yr .
Keith
Post #345907 17th Jul 2014 9:06pm
bell-auto-services

hehe, I should change my forum name to 'The Wand Waver" or "Debug Dan" Thumbs Up

The quirk you feel is very common as he mentions and is present in almost all cars not just landrover, Its just that most people dont ever drive it at the exact point its felt in the drivers seat.
I have cured this many many times in the past as a special request only when really needed as all are different but in most cases its not needed or felt at all, it mainly depends on the car its self, its use, and driving style, age etc etc.

Its times like this where I love my job in not ever giving up developement to early and always going back to the old stuff from time to time for a revisit for finding these type quirks as cars get older with more miles on and customers report issues.

As you are aware their are many people in my feild of work but I dont know many at all that go deep eniough when doing the original developement.
Most just get a power figure they are happy with and sell it asap, or just steel someone elses work lol Sad We as a rule generally get the power, test it, drive it, abuse it, abuse it again find fault with our own work, fix it etc etc and then I still dont sleep until ive covered all possibile angles I can think of.

Im a firm believer in that deep deep developement is key to the understanding which inturn helps us get out final aim without major error of does happen sometimes, hopefully what new thing is coming next will favor my deep thought process and many recent sleepness nights from all the work its taken so far to get their Thumbs Up

Pete
Post #345912 17th Jul 2014 9:48pm
bob neville

bell-auto-services wrote:

Do let me know if the sensor has come out again, ive not seen them come out before so interests me if its a problem area.

Pete

Hi Pete

Sensor has fallen out again Shocked It is the front one under the heat shield on the drivers side.

Screwed it in hand tight this morning and the rev hold is vastly improved.

Post #345962 18th Jul 2014 8:10am
bell-auto-services

Thanks for th feed back Bob, ill keep an eye out for this. Odd it keeps coming out, hummmm.

Pete
Post #345968 18th Jul 2014 8:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>