Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Article from AutoCar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
jav-uk

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
New Article from AutoCar
http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/industry/ti...rian-roots

More ramblings from the trade rags, maybe the heading for this forum should change?
Looks highly likely we are not going to get a utilitarian replacement for our Defenders.
Lets hope LR can make a final edition Defender worthy of the marque and then but it to sleep.
RIP LR Series/Defender, you served us well. Paul

Pondering a New 90 Commercial
2020 Evoque
* 2014 110 SW JE Stage 2.
*2010 110 Utility. JE Stage 2.
*2007 110 SW
*2003 90 JE Stage 2.
*2000 90 SW

If its not leaking it ain't full.
Post #241131 5th Jun 2013 8:33am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
So its going to basically be a disco 4 then...yawn.

Oh well, we can't say we didn't try to warn them. That premium market they chase so slavishly is THE most fickle market in the world. Yes profit margins may be higher per car, but the chap who bought a Range Rover this year is just as likely to switch to Bentley or Maserati next year. The Defender (when you could get one) did at least usually see repeat sales to such as the military and utility buyers. Like it or not they were the biggest buyers of Defenders. The fact is that a rugged "no-nonsense" vehicle just doesn't fit into a range of very bespoke, luxury cars, and someone high up probably thinks (probably with some justification) that the Defender damages the image of the other products. It would have made sense were the investment available to have split the company in Landrover making utilities and Range Rover making luxury cars, that way the brand would compliment each other rather then damage each other.

In its way it probably is for the best if the Defender is just killed off, its clear that the money is tight and I don't think anyone quite knows what to replace it with! How do you replace something that is unique? 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #241138 5th Jun 2013 9:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
So, if we want a classic utility off roader that is easily modified with great support for adding parts, what about a Jeep JK....?

Sorry for swearing, just wonder what the options will be going forward..... Shocked

Cheers

Simon
Post #241139 5th Jun 2013 9:29am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Article's bang on with this statement.......

"I know that Land Rover enthusiasts will cry foul and lament the brand moving away from it roots. But all that matters is that the company invests in successful markets with the right products, because all that matters is good profit margins and enough free cash to invest in the next generation of vehicles."

Let the bleating and gum bumping begin! Yet again!!!! Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #241142 5th Jun 2013 9:47am
nidge n

Talking about a Defender within the context of main streets of London just shows how people now view off road vehicles. It appears that the Defender is becoming an embarrassment within the new management of LR. The product and or its replacement doesn't seem to fit into their future plans. Moving a Defender up-market is just bizarre. Where does it leave its identity next to products like the Discovery? It would appear that LR are developing a range of products that are a long way from the companies origins which may not necessarily promote brand loyalty (perhaps with the exception of the Disco) Not replacing the Defender may make economic sense and on that basis I suspect that the current incarnation will be the last. On the same basis, Jaguar shouldn't have replaced the XJ which is not a strong seller. What ever happens, im glad i have my landy.
Post #241152 5th Jun 2013 10:33am
K9F

nidge n wrote:
What ever happens, im glad i have my landy.

Me too! Mine's a keeper and I doubt I will ever buy a younger replacement. May sound selfish but personal misplaced sentimentality changes nothing but blood pressure and the risk of a heart attack at my age.....
Laughing

They are in the business to make money not keep those inherrantly resistant to change happy.......

I don't really care one way or the other.....I've got mine and it's exactly what I wanted!!!!!! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #241156 5th Jun 2013 10:39am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I've read that article, & I don't believe that you could in all honesty take anything concrete out of it.
I've yet to see/read anything suggesting that Defender as we know it will finish, AND being specific with a concrete date......I know it will "eventually''....but that could be some time...Does anyone REALLY know when that time will be?
Cheers, Pickles.
Post #241157 5th Jun 2013 10:39am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
I remember when LR said the Defender would stop production in 2007 'because it couldn't be made to meet environmental and safety specs ... then it was 2010 - same reason ... then in was 2012 - same reason ....then the latest 2015 and 2017 even been quoted in some circles- same reason plus now also all the 'doesn't fit the premier range' stuff.

The safety and enviro stuff doesn't hold water as all they need to do is reclassify them all as commercials and most of that doesn't apply. As for the 'Premier' thing - well, there is only so many people with 30-50K burning a hole in their back pocket and only so many choices you can give them, and with a growing range of choices in the LR range I can't see where another premier one fits in.

Defender stopped being a big seller many years ago, and lasted through the death throws of British Leyland then British Aeospace sell-off, even BMW kept it going and made improvements, Ford did some bits, and now in TATA ownership - TATA being a company who make rugged stuff...

I won't believe any of it until it happens. If it happens it will be a real shame and a loss of an icon. But as I've never bought a new Defender and never would, there will be a 2nd hand market for many years to come, plus I already have a 'keeper' of my own, I won't be losing any sleep over it! Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #241168 5th Jun 2013 11:32am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Maybe they'll flog the tooling to Mahindra.......? 
Post #241170 5th Jun 2013 11:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Actually, the Defender is a pretty good seller: 17,300 vehicles in 2011/2012. That's 1,600 more than the number of Jaguar XJ sold.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #241171 5th Jun 2013 11:48am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I've heard rumblings of pictures of a new defender floating about. Defender as it stands is very old fashioned when you look at the competition. A ford ranger has alot more kit on it and now tows 3.5 ton.

I love my defender and will keep one but to be honest if I could afford to run a d4 I probably would now. A defender is alot like a hobby. But at the minute works well for me and my firm. I've ordered another one but what I'll be buying in 2015. All I hope is it has a green oval on it.

Thing is we all know we can keep our machines going, all you need is alot of oil in various forms. As any series 1 owner would surely agree. We have all had a good run with them.

A rebuilt one will feel like new anyway and instead of giving land rover any money save it for a new engine and auto box.
Post #241173 5th Jun 2013 12:08pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
We will see,.................. said the blind man. Cool

I am not so sure that LR are not putting sand in our eyes here, and as yet may surprise the market with a real Defender replacement. Fact is we don't know what is going on behind the screen there........
Maybe we should ask Kelly/Liam/Mike from Land Rover Customer Relations Idea , to shed some light here. Mr. Green ........ that is when they are not out of office anymore. Rolling Eyes Sheep Sheep Sheep

Whatever happens, my SVX is a keeper for the long term. No matter what happens, be it a Defender successor based on a modern platform, or no Defender successor at all, only our current cubes will remain the real thing forever Exclamation So better treasure them Thumbs Up You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #241174 5th Jun 2013 12:09pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
ericvv wrote:
when they are not out of office anymore. Rolling Eyes Sheep Sheep Sheep

OK I think we get your opinion on this now Yawn Wink  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #241177 5th Jun 2013 12:16pm
K9F

K9F wrote:
Me too! Mine's a keeper and I doubt I will ever buy a younger replacement......:

On second thoughts I may be persuaded.....Wouldn't take much........ Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Luvllly jubllly..... Razz Razz

Pete.....Got a remap in the pipeline??????? Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #241195 5th Jun 2013 12:55pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
...nostalgically thinking of an old telephone box Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #241204 5th Jun 2013 1:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>