↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Article from AutoCar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Martin wrote:
Actually, the Defender is a pretty good seller: 17,300 vehicles in 2011/2012. That's 1,600 more than the number of Jaguar XJ sold.

I guess the problem is (and always has been to a certain extent) that it probably costs significantly more to build each Defender due to the labour intensive nature of their construction, so margins will be a lot lower. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #241205 5th Jun 2013 1:37pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ZeDefender wrote:
...nostalgically thinking of an old telephone box Thumbs Up

Laughing Matt here's a banana to go with the phonebox..... Thumbs Up

If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #241207 5th Jun 2013 1:52pm
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
K9F wrote:
Pete.....Got a remap in the pipeline??????? Thumbs Up

He's done it already - check his website......

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #241214 5th Jun 2013 2:19pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
^^^^^^^
Rolling with laughter Bow down

Brilliant!!!! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #241215 5th Jun 2013 2:21pm
nidge n

Martin wrote:
Actually, the Defender is a pretty good seller: 17,300 vehicles in 2011/2012. That's 1,600 more than the number of Jaguar XJ sold.

That was exactly my point Martin. Thumbs Up JLR must have known the volume numbers for the XJ prior to investing in a replacement model, yet Jaguar without a XJ would feel strange.
Post #241235 5th Jun 2013 3:48pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

That's good Bow down Bow down 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #241240 5th Jun 2013 4:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bell-auto-services

mrandmrsh wrote:
K9F wrote:
Pete.....Got a remap in the pipeline??????? Thumbs Up

He's done it already - check his website......

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

LOOL Class Rolling with laughter

I have got my name down twice with my dealers IF and a big IF they do decide to make it or something new...., though it looks like it wont be. what ever it is ill be sure to take it apart like I do with everything else on the first day of ownership and start dissecting it lol.

That said, I hope something very interesting to us will be made available in the future at our landrover dealerships thats very well related to the Defender Whistle

Pete
Post #241244 5th Jun 2013 4:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
Thumbs Up

sounds interesting i asume you cant say any more else you would have Rolling Eyes

steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #241267 5th Jun 2013 6:55pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yawn, just another article based on sources unknown, conjecture and the personal opinion of a hack along with the usual, and understandable replies.

What will be will be and until LR unveil the final product it's all so much wind and pee. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #241270 5th Jun 2013 7:05pm
bell-auto-services

big steve wrote:
Thumbs Up

sounds interesting i asume you cant say any more else you would have Rolling Eyes

steve

Correct Thumbs Up
Post #241288 5th Jun 2013 8:07pm
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Like all of you I hope we get a utility vehicle, but I remember owning a load of old minis, and then ze germans brought along this plush monster mini, that now seems to appeal to many, so here's hoping LR can do someting that we might get used to.
Question 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #241314 5th Jun 2013 9:25pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Land Rover keep on about the "Heritage" aspect of the Defender and how it "Defines" the brand. I know that Land Rover/Tata think the production costs of the Defender are too high in relation to the profit margins generated. If they looked on the production costs of the Defender as part of the advertising budget for the Land Rover group as a whole they could well live with it then. Advertising spend by car manufacturers is a fair chunk of money. The Defender does not need to be promoted but it is used to promote Land Rover as a whole. So if they look at it that way the Defender in production is an advertising asset.
No one buys advertising brochures, but people do buy the Defender. Therefore they would be getting money back for what they regard as an advertising tool for the "Brand" as a whole.
So if they approach things from this direction, what was once regarded as a financial drain is now a financial asset. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #241342 5th Jun 2013 10:38pm
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Defender defines the heritage of the brand but not the brand itself as it is today. The defining land rover product now is discovery in my opinion.

If u look at the land rover website the defender on the end looks like a relic. It is a picture painting 1000 words about the history and nothing at all about the future. I love defenders. Have two. One old, one new. I was the "all this electronic crap is too much technology" bloke. Then I bought a d3 and drove it off road on road tyres round a place I know very well. All of the difficult obstacles that need some skill were non events. It just worked seamlessly.

I want a modern defender that doesn't mean I get wet when the local illegals jet wash it for £3. I want the ruggedness and sheer character of a defender but would like terrain response and HDC and an auto with an engine capable of lugging it all about.

A discovery is too much money, too heavy and not tax efficient. If they did a d4 utility tho I would overlook the first two.

So bring on the new defender I just hope they do as good a job with it as they have with the new RR. I am still keeping a defender though.....

C 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #241370 6th Jun 2013 12:20am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
K9F wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:
...nostalgically thinking of an old telephone box Thumbs Up

Laughing Matt here's a banana to go with the phonebox..... Thumbs Up

Laughing Thumbs Up
Just discovered the wife is now allergic to bananas - hope it's not psychological Whistle Shocked

p.s. I like old things...which is why I bought a "new" Defender. Other relics include cars and vintage bicycles Smile Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #241377 6th Jun 2013 6:58am
jav-uk

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
I enjoy keeping up with all the speculation on the Defender replacement. A common underlying theme in many of the recent published articles is that the replacement vehicle will not appeal or be suitable for current Defender users. These articles may be written by Hacks but most are based on information gained from LR sources and therefore it is fair to speculate that it reflects company thinking at the time. Top Brass at LR have regularly quoted that replacing the Defender is no easy task and now with the finacial strife of the holding company Tata, will we get a utility replacement. I think not, the replacement for the Defender was going to be a LR designed, Tata manufactured project to keep the price right. If Tata can't afford to make it any more then LR need to move the goal posts for the designed replacement. Hence the recent articles to reposition the marketing expectation.

But what do I know..... Rolling with laughter
Post #241400 6th Jun 2013 9:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>