↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Alpine active sub and pioneer speakers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DarrenJ

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Alpine active sub and pioneer speakers
I am just thinking of adding a little more to the stereo, I have an Alpine head unit that i'm happy with and looking at getting some front speakers for fathers day Wink and then treat myself to the Alpine active sub.

Has anyone any experience or thoughts on these 2 products?

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-...-27716.htm
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-...-27572.htm

thanks in advance

Thumbs Up Darren Darren
Post #239531 29th May 2013 7:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
No comment... Whistle

Laughing

On a more serious note I cannot actually comment myself but I do believe there are a few members on here that have Alpine items but whether or not they will have those exact items I don't know. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239534 29th May 2013 7:56pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
can't remember all the numbers but I have a Kenwood DAB HU, Kenwood speakers and the previous Alpine SWE1000 Sub which gives me good sound and reception, especially for a Defender.

Was going to change my sub due to a new cubby but managed to install it on it's side, because I was so pleased with the quality! Says it all really. Thumbs Up

I can only assume the latest Alpine sub will be at least as good as the previous model, possibly better. BM52
Post #239538 29th May 2013 8:01pm
DarrenJ

custom90steve wrote:
No comment... Whistle

Laughing

On a more serious note I cannot actually comment myself but I do believe there are a few members on here that have Alpine items but whether or not they will have those exact items I don't know. Thumbs Up

I was looking at the Kenwood speakers you recommended the other day on another thread but they've just sold out of those....... Darren
Post #239555 29th May 2013 9:04pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Alpine seems to generally get good reports on this forum, not sure about the Pioneer stuff.

Cheers

Simon
Post #239557 29th May 2013 9:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
DarrenJ - I can find another link to the same one's if you wanted? They are readily available. Thumbs Up

Pioneer I haven't heard anything bad about. All good. Very Happy Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239580 29th May 2013 10:00pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
That active will be good Thumbs Up Had the older one and yes it adds depth, Other alternatives are the focal or kicker, You need at least an 8" cone for a half decent sound. Regards pioneer- nothing wrong with there gear, however not sure a 30 pair of co-axle speakers will sound better than what you have already ??? I would at least want to hear the speakers first Whistle Personally I would save the money and buy something better. I and and a fair few others have focals. Believe your not too far away if you what to listen to some in situ Whistle
Post #239590 29th May 2013 10:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
barbel jim wrote:
Believe your not too far away if you what to listen to some in situ Whistle Because I cannot wait to show off and I really want to show you.

That's what you really mean isn't it Jim. Whistle
Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239592 29th May 2013 10:27pm
barbel jim

Er no.
Just appreciate spending 200 on speakers from looking at ones for 30 is in a different ball park. Figered as Darren J has a puma then he will already have components up front, so why would you swap them for a pair of cheap co-axel's by your knees ???
Post #239598 29th May 2013 10:34pm
DarrenJ

barbel jim wrote:
That active will be good Thumbs Up Had the older one and yes it adds depth, Other alternatives are the focal or kicker, You need at least an 8" cone for a half decent sound. Regards pioneer- nothing wrong with there gear, however not sure a 30 pair of co-axle speakers will sound better than what you have already ??? I would at least want to hear the speakers first Whistle Personally I would save the money and buy something better. I and and a fair few others have focals. Believe your not too far away if you what to listen to some in situ Whistle

I may take you up on that Thumbs Up
I'm sold on the active sub and was unsure of the speakers hence the question, I think they normally retail around 50, unfortunately as good as the focal kit is my budget isn't going to stretch that far Big Cry Darren
Post #239622 30th May 2013 7:33am
barbel jim

I believe you should already have components in your puma, ie separate woofer cone and tweeter. Ideally you should look at replacing like for like, you don't need the tweeter fitted in a co-axel as you have highlighted. Unfortunately choices are some what limited in 4" and tend to be expensive. I don't have a puma, but am sure with a bit of giggling and maybe the aid of a spacer ring you could get a 5" speaker to fit. This would be better because it has a larger area, but will also offer a bigger choice.
As a rough guide any branded spesker will be half decent, but all tend to do 3/4 ranges from budget to competition. You need to look at RMS rating instead of peak watts, and a bigger magnet,tends to give better sound quality. Components will out perform coaxel all day long due to having separate cross overs. The crossover on a co axel is built in and small. prolonged use causes the tweeter to fade and loss of highs. Hope all that helps a bit Confused Confused
Post #239653 30th May 2013 11:10am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I wouldn't bargain on a 5" fitting at all well in a Puma Jim. The fit is really tight to the rear especially on the passenger side. Also the areas the speakers mount already have around a 1 - 2mm raise. Fitting rings in there would look awful IMO and stick out far too far. Confused Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239663 30th May 2013 12:09pm
barbel jim

So what depth have you alrady got then ?
Post #239669 30th May 2013 12:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Not exactly sure of the top of my head the depth but mine are 4" / 10cms diameter. I agree with you on principle about a larger speaker being better and I have looked into it in the past but I found the fit to not be that easy. If the dash would have been 100% flat I would have just slightly enlarged the standard hole and moved slightly to the centre more a touch thus curing the clearance issue to the rear. BUT the 10cm standard speaker hole in the Puma dash has a slight raised lip around it which if messed with would mean the speaker / grille wouldn't fit perfectly flush.
That I cannot see a work around on.
The rear speaker panels are the opposite as they are recessed inwards and just as much of a pain except that can be worked around but the fronts can't.
Banging Head Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239679 30th May 2013 12:39pm
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I was just about to start a thread asking if that woofer was the right one for the puma alpine head unit and it obviously is so I will go ahead and get one. Thanks for doing my homework for me. Anyone know if we need any extra wiring with special fittings?
Thanks,
John. 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #240331 1st Jun 2013 9:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>