↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Alpine active sub and pioneer speakers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check what comes with it first. Thumbs Up Otherwise you may buy more items than you'll actually need. MY guess is you will need a fuse, fuse holder and power and earth. (be sure to get the correct rating fuse for the items and gauge of cable)
You probable also need RCA's too. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #240336 1st Jun 2013 9:10pm
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hhmmm, inspired by finding the right woofer I just went in search of the wires to attach it to which I had previously been advised could be found under the cubby box, sadly I looked and nothing was there, I then removed the inspection cover underneath it and found a few connectors but none which had any spare wires looking for a home. Does anyone know where the standard woofer wires can be found or do I have to ferret all the way back to the head unit to make the connection? Car is a 13 plate 90 SW XS.
Many thanks to anyone who can help.
John. Question 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #240349 1st Jun 2013 9:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
What connections are you looking for? RCA's I assume? Blue remote on? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #240351 1st Jun 2013 9:50pm
Natlas

Hi Steve,
Not sure what I'm looking for, Embarassed whatever it is that connects the radio to the woofer is what I want to find, by the way, what is an RCA? that's twice you've mentioned them.
Thanks,
John 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #240358 1st Jun 2013 10:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You will need:
Power battery positive + (fuse and fuse holder needs to be close to the battery)
Earth negative - keep this as short as possible and needs to be grounded at a good chassis point or suitable area
(so not the body being Alu obviously)
That's your primary power sorted
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You will need a blue remote turn on wire extended likely from the rear of the HU this is 12v + live and goes again to the Amp. It's sole purpose is to turn on the Amp with the HU when required. Thin of it as a switch.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

RCA's are an audio phono cable which carry the audio signals as it were from the HU to the Amp. Again these connections are likely to come from the rear of the HU.

Other than that it's just setting up. Also worth bearing in mind that you've probably made up your mind on this particular Sub/Amp (if you haven't bought already) but any make will work too. Plenty of alternatives also out there and probably more powerful too maybe.

Any more info required or help. Let me know. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #240372 1st Jun 2013 10:50pm
Natlas

Thanks again Steve. So it seems like my wiring is not pre-installed and I will have to route the wires you refer to above from the head unit, such is landy life. At least while I've got some of the seatbox out I can stick some more Dynamat down before I put it together. Smile
Cheers,
John. 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #240396 2nd Jun 2013 9:35am
Natlas

One more question for Steve, should the RCA cable be a coax cable or is it just a twin pair?
Thanks,
John. 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #240398 2nd Jun 2013 9:36am
DarrenJ

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Many thanks to Barbel Jim for showing me his system the other night and sorting me with some front speakers, my ears are still bleeding from experiencing Jims stereo!!!!
Thumbs Up
Next on my list to do now is get the Alpine sub in the next week. As noted by John above it would be a good time to get some dynamat down too..... Darren
Post #240407 2nd Jun 2013 10:12am
custom90

United Kingdom 
John - You will need these:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/accessories-rca-audio-cables/
Be sure to check you select the correct length for what you require. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #240419 2nd Jun 2013 11:01am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
John Baron wrote:
Hi Steve,
Not sure what I'm looking for, Embarassed whatever it is that connects the radio to the woofer is what I want to find, by the way, what is an RCA? that's twice you've mentioned them.
Thanks,
John

Hi John,

When I did mine I took the power straight from the battery, and earthed it direct to the chassis or tub. I mounted mine on the rear bulkhead, and needed a 3 meter RCA cable to which I stuck the blue remote wire too. These I fed down from the stereo and under the carpets, worked a treat for 2 years. Sold to another forum member now Thumbs Up
Post #240646 3rd Jun 2013 9:28am
Natlas

OK guys, woofer and cable are ordered, sure I can pick up a fuse locally, so now it's just a question of seeing what turns up and figuring our how to get the head unit out and the wires in.
Thanks very much for your ideas and assistance.Cheers,
John. Thumbs Up 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #241280 5th Jun 2013 7:41pm
Natlas

Hi Steve and Barbel Jim,
I have the centre console out and can esily see where to connect the two RCA connectors but there doesn't seem to be an obvious (or any) connection for the 'power-on wire', presumably this is one of the pre-wired cables in the multiconnector, any idea where I should connect my blue wire to?
Thanks,
John. 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #242209 9th Jun 2013 12:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
For connection of the blue wire to the Amp please refer to my other post on the other threan. For the HU end I would recommend you refer to your HU's manual it will tell you exactly the location of it and where it is to the rear. It's normally either solid blue or blow with a coloured tracer. It's one you will have to extend also too. (From the HU all the way to the Amp. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #242212 9th Jun 2013 12:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12