↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Water leak...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
HansT

Sweden 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
Tonight it is going to rain so I taped up the alpine window. Going sailing for the weekend so I will not be able to test the result until Monday.

However, can someone explain to me exactly how water can run all the way from the alpine window to the driver door. I have only had my Defender for a short time so I am not familiar with how it looks like under the roof lining.

And the inside gutter, which you can see looking down the alpine window, has got holes drilled in it so water would come out by the 2nd row of seats. Or am I wrong?

By the way, my sailing boat also developed a leak (from the top...) last season and it took quite a while to trace where it came from. I re-sealed a couple of windows and now we will see if it cured the leak. I also have awater leak in my house but I will not go into that (off topic...)

Thanks for all advise. /Hans
Post #238087 23rd May 2013 6:46pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I would still be tempted to investigate the washer pipe, even though you may not have used it there may be water still coming out of the pipe. Identify the pipe to the rear by pulling the pipe out of the system, then blow through it to empty out the water(if any) then leave it off for a while and see if you get any fresh leaks
Post #238110 23rd May 2013 7:58pm
HansT

Thanks JWL for your suggestion. I will test it after the test of the alpine window. But if it is the washer pipe how comes that my leak only occurs after rain?

/Hans
Post #238126 23rd May 2013 8:48pm
discoed

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Only Land Rover would produce such a manual (only land Rover would need to!)

http://www.mylandy.com.my/wp-content/uploa...ngress.pdf

It's why we like them! Thumbs Up
Post #238128 23rd May 2013 8:58pm
Jamie W

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
I had a leak similar to this. As suggested on an earlier post check the L R water ingress manual pinpoint test AB1 roof seam.
I had a small crack in the paintwork on the joint on both sides of the roof- cleaned the area, applied sealant- No more leak!!

Study the water ingress manual as you will no doubt experience more leaks Smile
Post #238281 24th May 2013 12:31pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
I sealed the gutters using a silicone sealant (and masking tape to keep it tidy); sealed the joint in the roof in the same way and dabbed sealant in some of the welds where I thought I could see hairline cracks.

This lessened the water ingress but what stopped it was polishing the roof.

I don't know whether some polish got into a crack or whether the water beading off is what did the trick but no more water for a couple of months now. Hooray!
Post #238325 24th May 2013 4:01pm
HansT

Thanks for all ideas. Got back from my sailing weekend tonight. Plenty of rain but no leaks in the boat...

When I took the first corner in the Defender, a large amount of water landed on my knee. So taping up the alpine window did not take care of the leak.

Earlier I sealed a crack in the gutter but this did not make any difference. I have also tried to look for other cracks or openings where the water could enter but can not find any.

I have ruled out condensation as this problem only occurs when the vehicle has been parked in rain. Also leakage from the washer pipe has been ruled out as I have not been using this for a long time.

How can this be so difficult? Any other ideas? Must I remove the roof lining to find the leak?

/Hans
Post #238831 26th May 2013 10:12pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I think Jamie may have got the right answer....do your tape test on the joint in the roof
Post #239353 28th May 2013 8:02pm
HansT

Yesterday it was raining again and surprise, no water leak this morning! Could it be that the leak yesterday came from water that was left inside the roof lining prior to me taping the alpine window? Tonight it is going to rain again so I will leave the tape on the alpine window and check tomorrow. If it does not work I will tape up the roof seam as suggested by Jamie and Steve. Thanks!

/Hans
Post #239410 28th May 2013 11:15pm
HansT

The rain never materialised last night but has started now. So tomorrow we will see...

/Hans
Post #239536 29th May 2013 7:56pm
HansT

After the rain last night I am happy to inform you that there was no leak this morning.

So it seems that the leak started from the alpine window. What sealant compound do use? I use Marine Sikaflex for the boat so I will try this on alpine window as well. And I will put some on the roof seam as well.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Hans
Post #239799 30th May 2013 10:00pm
HansT

Water leak... and it is not over
A couple of days ago I thought that I stopped the leak by taping up the alpine window. But the water is still flowing from the top of the door by the A-pillow when I take a sharp left turn. And ens up on my knee. The car is LHD so can you gus understand where it commes from? I thought a water would flow to the other side of the vehicle?

I will tape up the roof seem before next rain to see if the leak starts here. Report will follow...

/Hans
Post #240600 2nd Jun 2013 11:12pm
HansT

The final solution
Every time when I drove off after a rain at the first sharp corner I got a flood of water over me. It came from the top of the driver door (LHD) close to the A pillar. For a long time I was trying to figure out where it came from. Also studied the water ingress manual. I just could not figure it out.

In the end I bought a bottle Capt. Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure and I put that stuff in every seam and along all seals. And I could not belive it - no more leaks. It has now been water tight for several months and we have had several heavy rains Thumbs Up

http://www.captaintolley.com/

Regards,

Hans
Post #335118 1st Jun 2014 9:36pm
CyberCharlie

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Java Black
How do you apply this stuff? The leak in my windscreen is starting to annoy me.
Thanks ciao Smile
Post #335214 2nd Jun 2014 12:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HansT

CyberCharlie wrote:
How do you apply this stuff? The leak in my windscreen is starting to annoy me.
Thanks ciao Smile

You just squeeze out the liquid around the windscreen seal or any other suspected cracks. The liquid will pentate into any openings and seal it. I applied it around the alpine windows as I suspected these.

I still have no idea where the water got in but the problem is gone. Very Happy

/Hans
Post #335346 2nd Jun 2014 10:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>