↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Automotive Electrician Required For Lots Of Mods Install!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Automotive Electrician Required For Lots Of Mods Install!
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for an Automotive Electrician (or someone who knows what they are doing) who can help with some updates I want to do to my 110.

Please anybody feel free to jump in and say no don't do that or I did it this way, as long as you give a reason why or photos Very Happy

I am planning on fitting a New Iron Goat dash to house a Tachometer and Battery Gauge and to house switch gear and radios. I was hoping to fit a late Td5 dash but cant find one for sensible money.

Electrical install in order of importance:

1. Split charge system (not fancy, just something to take the load of my new battery)
2. Feed from second battery to Second Battery Gauge
3. Feed from Alternator to Tachometer.
4. Cb radio Install (cb wire already installed in dash)
5. Webasto Heater Wiring
6. Recovery Lights
7. Anderson Jump Connector
8. Battery Isolator
9. Heated Seats

I need to buy some bits which are detailed below, again if anyone has any recommendations for what to buy or where from please do!

1. Split charge set up
2.Anderson Jump Connectors
3.Battery Isolator (though have FCX one lined up for this)
4. Heated seats (have FCX Lined up again)
5. Various connections wires etc

I am not in a hurry, if it doesn't get done till February its not a problem as would rather take time in getting everything worked out and bought properly than to rush and just bodge it together.

Can anyone help with install?

Can anyone recommend a friendly garage or automotive electrician in West Kent who can do all the jobs?

Ordinarily I would do it myself but I'd rather have someone looking over my shoulder or doing it who knows what they are doing. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #382064 26th Dec 2014 5:50pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Post #382073 26th Dec 2014 6:11pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Honestly, there is nothing on that list that you cannot do yourself, modern split charge systems are a doddle to install.

Feed from battery to a voltmeter even a child could do

CB radio just a 12v feed and invest in SWR monitor to set it up and it’s easy

Anderson Leads no problem, just attach to your battery + - conections, the hardest bit is crimping the Anderson connectors so use solder

Battery isolator again it’s just splitting the cable between the + connector use a link fuse so your alarm and radio code remains

Feed from Alternator to Tachometer again easy just make sure you use the correct gauge of cable

Recovery Lights easy just a 12v feed and earth

Heated seats again easy just use the right relay which should come with the kit along with wiring and switch

The only thing I cannot advise on is the wiring for Webasto Heater Wiring as I have never done it but I am sure that would not be difficult.

Just make sure you fuse every devices positive feed with the correct rated fuse and you should have no problems.

An auto electrician will charge you an arm and leg for fitting all those devices do it yourself save lots of money and then buy something extra special for the Defender.

Get all the bits you need from here

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/
Post #382075 26th Dec 2014 6:17pm
martinfiattech

England 
If you have basic common sense you can do all this yourself.
Tacho drive ( I assume you mean rev counter). Can be tricky if your alt does not have a W terminal you may have to phase tap one of the alt coils. Google marine fourms they're into all that.

The most important thing I can see is Follow the instructions for the webasto heater. Please make sure the exhaust pipe is fitted correctly ( even if it`s done by a pro ).

I`ve had a few over the years where they haven't been long enough. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #382289 27th Dec 2014 2:00pm
shaggydog

All very good comments and very true.

Thanks for the links guys will have a look and see what I need.

May need some help with wire gauges and what to put where.

Martin, what do you mean by exhaust length issues? It hasn't come with any directions other than a wiring diagram

My biggest problem is I need it for work every day so would rather be without it for 2 days and it all be done than having to franticly do bits if and when I get a chance. While I'm confident enough to do the work I lack the knowledge to carry it out 110% correctly.

Really need a workshop of my own Big Cry Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #382310 27th Dec 2014 2:46pm
munch90

England 
I would start by fitting split charge and batterys first as then you can decide what to run off what battery etc

twin battery then 2 battery isolators fitted , decide if in + or - , sometimes easier to fit in - as you don't need to insulate so much
Post #382324 27th Dec 2014 3:34pm
martinfiattech

England 
I can under stand the idea of getting it all done in one go especially if the vehicle is needed for work, and I`am in the same position myself (it`s in bits right now).

The webasto heater is / i assume a diesel burner. the exhaust pipe from the combustion chamber needs to be the correct length / position. To vent the exhaust gases. Also, so the heater burner fresh air induction pipe can`t pull any exhaust fumes in.
Along with the heaters own fresh air blower can`t pull in any fumes. Think house hold boiler, carbon monoxide fumes !! etc.

This might be more important if your thinking of using it as a night heater. This is where I`am more used to working.

If you`ve not already brought the webasto heater a Eberspacher heater is a much better unit, but they are dear. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #382327 27th Dec 2014 3:50pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Been looking at them myself of late there do seem to be some sales on at the moment. Thumbs Up

http://sales.butlertechnik.com/eberspacher...nstall-kit If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #382329 27th Dec 2014 4:02pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
Shaggy, Depending how far you are, and able to be without, I;ve just had they guys at Auto 400 give mine a once over for MUD Dash, moving switches, fitting 2014 Heated seats into 96 Tdi, re-worong the last 18years of bodges etc.

Based in Wembley but if you are a distance then a half way hand over may not be out of the question and a replacement car probable too.

Give Mark a call 02089027789 ( [url] www.auto400.co.uk [/url] )- Kris worked wonders over mine and they are fair priced and treat all vehicles as if their own.
Post #382346 27th Dec 2014 5:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shaggydog

Thanks guys, will bear that in mind.

Not sure whether to make a shaggydog electrical thread or weather to do it as part of my running restoration. Humm.

I don't mind travelling for good work so will bear it in mind. Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #382606 28th Dec 2014 1:03pm
gavinpm

England 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Cairns Blue
Anderson connectors

I got this kit - very good quality.

http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/index.php?ma...cts_id=721

And this video was very helpful

Gavin
Post #382623 28th Dec 2014 2:09pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I fitted the spilt charger in an hour in the back of the 110 for use with the caravan in under an hour and that includes running cable along the chassis. The new one's are electronic so do away with the relay, like this one http://www.towsure.com/product/SelfSwitching_Combination_Relay Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #382624 28th Dec 2014 2:17pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Anderson connectors are indeed very good nevertheless please ensure they are stored in a dry moisture free environment, they have no IP rating, the contacts fur up very quickly and turn green when exposed to moisture.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #382646 28th Dec 2014 3:52pm
shaggydog

Thanks Gavinpm that kit looks exactly like what I was looking for Thumbs Up

Will take care to locate them somewhere dry(land rover dry that is) thanks for the heads up K9F

I'm wandering whether to try and squeeze the second battery and all the other stuff into the battery compartment as is or weather to have the battery compartment as is and then to have the toolbox as second battery and then have to find somewhere else to put the tools and such.

Arc99: do you have a picture or wiring diagram for your set up? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #382702 28th Dec 2014 5:58pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
This is the installation I did on mine early this year. Im no auto electrician but with the proper planning, and thought about your wire runs together with some googling and forum advice it was all pretty straight forward. I found a lot of auto electricians werent willing to take the job on, and didnt have the tools to crimp some of the really big wires. YMMV obviously.

One of the questions as to which dual battery relay system to use, is whether it is man enough to cope with the current going through it. A winch for example can pull 400a+ at full load, and that will be coming through that relay; so just make you specify everything up front and plan it out.

Have a good look at the vehicle wiring products website. Loads of good info and stuff there. If you can properly plan your cable runs they will make up the wires for you with the connectors of your choice and properly crimped, soldered and heat shrinked. Its a nominal charge and I used them for some of the large gauge wires on the winch.

Hopefully these photos give you some inspiration. Id be happy to give you a hand but pretty far north of you! Thumbs Up

good luck! Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #382845 28th Dec 2014 11:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>