↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > The American don't like the DC100
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
willy eckerslike wrote:
Put up with what Question an idea, a thought, a name, there is no such thing as a DC100 only a concept.

Concept

(Engineering / Automotive Engineering) (modifier) (of a product, esp a car) created as an exercise to demonstrate the technical skills and imagination of the designers, and not intended for mass production or sale

Bow down Bow down

Well worth reading and understanding. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #213435 22nd Feb 2013 10:19pm
nidge n

X 2 good points very well made. I have this horrid feeling that Gerry McGovern wishes to use the Defender replacement as his legacy. Lets see. All this pontificating from LR just makes me love my 110 all the more
Post #213452 22nd Feb 2013 10:35pm
nidge n

Setok wrote:
Maybe someone can explain something...

Many media articles have been almost surprisingly positive about the vehicle. Few have mentioned that it, well, looks nothing like a Defender, and thus breaks the line, or that it might be missing the basic, rustic appeal of the Defender. Yet forum comments (not just here, but many other forums), Facebook comments, Twitter comments and comments on the actual articles themselves have been overwhelmingly negative. Even the positive comments have stated to liking it for what it is, but that they do not necessarily see it as a Defender replacement.

How exactly does that work? Is the media out of touch with the people, or is something funny going on?

Land Rover seem to be overlooking how the Defender is incredibly loved, even in markets like the US where it's not available. People love how it looks and what it stands for. The ultimate "does what it says on the tin" offroad and overlanding vehicle. What they don't like are the concerns about reliability and some comfort issues. Plus, of course, that it's not available in the US.

The solution, to me, seems pretty obvious. Evolve the design and possibly the mechanics, tweak it so it can be sold in the US, and then market the hell out of it (it's amazing how many people don't even know LR still make them). But simple solutions obviously cannot be right. Right?

X 2 - good points very well made. I have this horrid feeling that Gerry McGovern wishes to use the Defender replacement as his legacy. Lets see. All this pontificating from LR just makes me love my 110 all the more
Post #213453 22nd Feb 2013 10:36pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: The American don't like the DC100
Rob wrote:
why did it have to take the americans to say no to the DC100 yet we all said it was Censored but Land Rover refused to listen to us???? Shocked

What complete rot!!!! NOT all of us said it was Censored . There are quite a few forum members that found the 'concept' of the DC100 quite attractive if you care to do a search instead of 'throw away comment' posting.....

Whistle

Just a selection from a couple of the several threads......

K9F wrote:
I personally don't like the soft top as it would be lacking functionality in the space department for me. To be controversial I do in fact like the other one, I think it's quirky and the styling is nice with nice touches such the rack inbuilt roof lights and the snorkel styling that also goes well with the rack.

Will need to see one in the flesh but am looking forward to it. As with any advancements there will be individuals who are inherrantly resistant to change, I shall keep an open mind, if I don't like it I am not going to be forced to get get one and shall keep the one I am currently happy with.

CFB wrote:
I really like it (the hard top one), the front end styling needs work but if they keep the systems fairly simple and robust it will be great.

I think it will sell by the bucketful as long as the price is sensible, I will be one of the 1st in line and will happily get it straight off the tarmac and have a play.

Nice to see it starting to emerge with half decent wheels/tyres too.

rick wrote:
It's growing on me - particularly a four door version. But then again, lately, I've been sort of admiring aspects of the Toyota FJ Cruiser from afar (and for that I sincerely apologise).

I think a new, modern 'fit for purpose' Defender (with a less toy-like quality i.e. FJ Cruiser) is doable - there's just a very fine balance between exciting and laughable.

I'm no longer worried about the current model being replaced and I'm looking forward to slapping down some money on the latest incarnation - fingers crossed LR get the 'mix' right.

Cheers and Happy NY to everyone out there.
Rick

borderterrier wrote:
I think its great and I have been a die hard Defender man for 30 years.

T1G UP wrote:
i like it...and i believe apart from a few tweaks thats what you are getting as the first DC100.

Higgers wrote:
Its growing on me. Its certainly looking a bit better, i'd love to see a LWB version Very Happy

One thing is for certain - it'll sell like hot cakes, LR have got their business head on Thumbs Up

TC wrote:
I like it.
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #213486 23rd Feb 2013 1:34am
nidge n

The very mention of "complete rot" on a defender forum makes me so nervous Big Cry
Post #213553 23rd Feb 2013 12:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12