↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Satellite phones & set up recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Satellite phones & set up recommendations
Because, sod's law says, your mobile network will have no signal when you need it most... Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #204097 21st Jan 2013 10:25pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
where are you thinking of going ?
Post #204181 22nd Jan 2013 8:42am
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
No experience of the various handsets but the customer service and coverage from Inmersat has always been good when we have been looking at there data services. They even let us fasten a weather station to their offices to test bandwidth.
Post #204189 22nd Jan 2013 9:03am
YeomanOfTheBar

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Been a while since I looked at them, and it does depend somewhat on what you want to do with them (voice vs. data), but Thuraya generally seemed to be the cheapest option. There are some compromises however - they don't cover the Americas, and their groundstations are in the Middle East (which is seen as a potential security issue for some users), for example. 2013 Defender 110 XS DCPU
2016 Ford Mustang 5.0 V8
Post #204308 22nd Jan 2013 2:26pm
littlepow

United Kingdom 
Have used a Motorola iridium 9505A in some really remote places around the world. Basic but works well, just remember to move the aerial if you change hands!

Have you thought of a Bgan dish, as you can wireless connect smartphones, tablets and laptops. Giving you both voice and data - but can cost £15 a minute at 300Kb streaming. If I knew what I was doing - I would be scared!
Post #205071 24th Jan 2013 9:17pm
BigWheels

UK places where there is no mobile signal; Exmoor, Dartmoor, Salisbury..anywhere remote in the UK. For emergency calls, calls charged for after, so no PAYG credit running out... Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #255847 2nd Aug 2013 11:16pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
If just for emergency call-out, what about a 2 way communicator? Like the Spot or Delorme. The initial unit costs about 1/10 of a Sat phone and you don't get crazy bills after making a call.

Just food for thought.

I went for this in the end as I didn't need anything for every day calls (like company calls) but wanted the peace and mind of being able to contact friends and family when out of cell phone signal. Other bonus is the tracking so anyone can follow you online if you want them to (or if you SOS it also transmits your grid reference to emergency services):
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #255858 3rd Aug 2013 12:06am
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Do you pay for using the inreach delorme device? If so do you know the charges?

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #255870 3rd Aug 2013 7:37am
Glynparry25

Yes I am currently using the service (I am using the inReach for ipod/smart phone)- but have been offered the ability to move straight over to the SE package if I buy the device.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

That is the overview. Yes it is more expensive than the SPOT (£100 a year) but for me it was better. I started on the 'Safety plan' when I was playing and getting used to it, and since being on my trip have been on the 'Expedition Plan'. It has been AMAZING. I have been able to report in to family every day (even in VERY remote areas) and they have also been able to message back. For them the 'Track feature' has been the best- most of the family all over the world have been following me as I go along.... this is what they see:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once back home and off traveling I will then revert back to the 'Safety Plan' ($25 admin charge to go down a plan but free to go up).

I went for the Delorme over spot pretty much mainly because it uses the Iridium satellites which have better, more reliable coverage- I spent 2 months trawling outdoor forums to get all the info- for another £50 you can buy a car adaptor too so no need to worry about batteries (which last about 72hrs of use).

Just a possible 'cheap' solution if you need safety but don't need to make phone calls etc.

Glyn Dog :sheep:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #255871 3rd Aug 2013 7:59am
johnnyd

Very interesting, is that travelling Work or pleasure? Just curious Rolling Eyes

Looks like a good system, how much is the activation fee OOI?

Do you have the inreach or inreach SE ? Is the SE worth the extra 50/60 quid do you think?

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #255877 3rd Aug 2013 8:21am
Glynparry25

Pleasure (got made redundant in Cyprus so made the most of a break in work to take my time heading back).

I think the activation was $25 from what I remember (I have slept since then Rolling Eyes ). When I bought it (4/5 months ago) there was the 'InReach SE coming soon' and I held off for as long as I could but it was only released 1/2 months ago so I didn't have the option. I am thinking of upgrading to it when I get home. The one I have is great- I connect to ipod touch and my sony phone but would also like the ability to use the features (downloadable maps) without worrying about my other device batteries.

Once home I will do a proper write up on it as I just don't get the time whilst traveling. I will be back in UK in about 14 days if things go to plan and will be passing you if you want a look/ verbal review over a pint.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #255882 3rd Aug 2013 8:30am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I have a SPOT, costs me about £120 a year.

Good bit of kit, use it loads for the checkin and tracking.

But the Help & SOS are a peace of mind thing.
Post #255885 3rd Aug 2013 8:47am
johnnyd

Glyn many thanks for the offer but that will probably be when we are away (France possibly) which is why i am looking now, i'm never one to say no to beer Rolling with laughter are there any laws re bringing the device into countries as it is a transmitter?

JD

Glynparry25 wrote:
Pleasure (got made redundant in Cyprus so made the most of a break in work to take my time heading back).

I think the activation was $25 from what I remember (I have slept since then Rolling Eyes ). When I bought it (4/5 months ago) there was the 'InReach SE coming soon' and I held off for as long as I could but it was only released 1/2 months ago so I didn't have the option. I am thinking of upgrading to it when I get home. The one I have is great- I connect to ipod touch and my sony phone but would also like the ability to use the features (downloadable maps) without worrying about my other device batteries.

Once home I will do a proper write up on it as I just don't get the time whilst traveling. I will be back in UK in about 14 days if things go to plan and will be passing you if you want a look/ verbal review over a pint.

Glyn Dog Sheep
 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #255889 3rd Aug 2013 9:03am
BigWheels

Thanks seems like the type of phones I'm after. Thumbs Up Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #255953 3rd Aug 2013 2:48pm
TR51

France 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
As an extra, (and fully understand that having a dedicated means of communication is a huge bonus and peace of mind to just relying on a phone), but for the UK you can also sign up to : http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

Basically you text 999 with a location and brief description of the incident and it is logged just as a 999 call is. The benifit is that text messages can be sent when there is much less signal than is required for a voice data.

(also note that calls to 999 will use ANY mobile phone company mast to send a call, so even if you have 'no signal' shown on your phone a call may still get through).

(That said, I also take along a SPOT tracker when I head out into the mountains...)
Post #255967 3rd Aug 2013 3:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>