↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Satellite phones & set up recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
We have bought a 2nd hand Isatphone Pro for our Australia trip.

Just got an email yesterday from one of the sat phone companies (I made enquiries with about the phone earlier this year) - about the Inreach SE. It is tempting due to the direct SOS link to emergency resue centre, which the phone doesn't have. We were thinking of just hiring a personal beacon for the trip but this is an alternative I wasn't aware of becuase I didn't come across it when I was looking for a voice call phone.

I wouldn't want to have just the Inreach though as you can't make voice calls on it. It is text only. In areas of with no cell phone signal we want to be able to make voice calls such ad phoning ahead to the next roadhouse/campsite or call family, call for a road report etc. Although Iridium is probably at a pinch a slightly better network that Inmarsat, the Isatphone is much cheaper purchase cost than the Iridium equivalent and does not require a subsciption. It is prepay sim phone - just under a quid a minute but for us that is better than paying per call and not knowing until after how much we owe...

Lots of options, but for us a voice call phone is a must. When we get around to deciding about the personal beacon will will compare with the Inreach and see what will be the best deal. Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #256014 3rd Aug 2013 7:41pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
That's an extra to do Smile

I'm worried more about breaking down out of mobile range (at night, iles from anywhere..). So to call a breakdown service, speech, would InReach be any good?

Also what do people receiving texts need? Just a text capable phone? Modern tech can be Confused Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender

Last edited by BigWheels on 3rd Aug 2013 8:44pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #256032 3rd Aug 2013 8:32pm
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I think inreach is only text message or email either from the device or a blue toothed ipad/iPhone

You could always email/text a friend who could call for help?

Jd 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #256033 3rd Aug 2013 8:35pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Yes, just text/email.... ne speech. But for the price of a sat phone, and the cost of a call you could get a recovery guy to follow you every time, lol.

Australia is different- you spend 80% of your time out of cell phone coverage when traveling on the main roads (I think I lost coverage for over 300 miles when traveling from Perth to Kalgoorlie. This is when a sat phone is a must- but out there you can rent a sat phone for next to nothing and then you just pay for calls if you make them.

Depends onmoney really-if you can afford to buy a sat-phone and then the credit (pre-pay runs out every 12 months). Otherwise, something like spot/ inreach ould be enough to text wife/ friend and get them to call the recovery guy.

OR spend all the money on a good selection of tools and repair it yourself Wink

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #256035 3rd Aug 2013 8:40pm
johnnyd

How much did you pay second hand Pam ?

Pam W wrote:
We have bought a 2nd hand Isatphone Pro for our Australia trip.

Just got an email yesterday from one of the sat phone companies (I made enquiries with about the phone earlier this year) - about the Inreach SE. It is tempting due to the direct SOS link to emergency resue centre, which the phone doesn't have. We were thinking of just hiring a personal beacon for the trip but this is an alternative I wasn't aware of becuase I didn't come across it when I was looking for a voice call phone.

I wouldn't want to have just the Inreach though as you can't make voice calls on it. It is text only. In areas of with no cell phone signal we want to be able to make voice calls such ad phoning ahead to the next roadhouse/campsite or call family, call for a road report etc. Although Iridium is probably at a pinch a slightly better network that Inmarsat, the Isatphone is much cheaper purchase cost than the Iridium equivalent and does not require a subsciption. It is prepay sim phone - just under a quid a minute but for us that is better than paying per call and not knowing until after how much we owe...

Lots of options, but for us a voice call phone is a must. When we get around to deciding about the personal beacon will will compare with the Inreach and see what will be the best deal.
 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #256036 3rd Aug 2013 8:41pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
in a rush, didnt read whats above

but working on cruise ships, but we tested the motorola iridium phone's in the middle of atlantic when crossing from Caribbean to Mediterranean and worked fine, can't really get much more remote than this.. maybe mid sahara ?

we are actually looking at investing one, they are only expensive when it comes to using it...
Post #256045 3rd Aug 2013 9:01pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
I have an Mortorola iridium and used it in Alaska South America at the bottom of the Grand Canyon Morocco and it works any where as the satellites go from poll to poll which gives the world cover had mine for 14 years now RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #256050 3rd Aug 2013 9:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
johnnyd wrote:
How much did you pay second hand Pam ?

We paid £340 from a guy in Cornwall, on eBay. They seem to come up reasonably frequently - watched a couple to see what sort of money they were going for compared to new, then bid and won this one. Came with pre-paid sim of about 60 mins which expires end March 2014 - giving us some time to play with it before we get a new sim and go on our trip.

New price is about £480, plus airtime on a sim.

Our eBay purchase was a good bargain on new cost, especially as it came with the soft case and a hard Peli case - amounting to about an extra £100 quids worth of kit on top if buying new.

When we top the phone up we will probably go for a 250 minute deal for £180 with an expiry of 180 days after purchase. So it works out at about £1 a day, which I don't think is a lot for peace of mind. We could make a 5 minute call to family back in the UK every 5 days, which is more than adequate, especially as we won't be remote all the time and will be using 'local' purchased sims in our iPhones and iPad for the majority of calls and internet.

We can also sell on the phone on our return if we feel we won't need it again, and pretty much get the original 'investment' back.

So for us buying outright was cheaper (even if buying new) than renting a phone as we are going for 4 months. If you are only needing one for a few weeks then hiring will probably be cheaper, but you have nothing to sell on afterwards.... Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #256058 3rd Aug 2013 9:39pm
johnnyd

Reading some reviews on the spot system that ain't good, a few have stopped working while sending tracking data and rescue teams have been dispatched in error, spot don't want to aknowledge there is an issue and don't even want to replace examine the units........that's them out for me then......

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #256118 4th Aug 2013 8:36am
johnnyd

Well I think the Delorme inreach SE has it for me, done a lot of research today with sat phones etc......anyone know of anywhere less than 240 quid for them ?

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #256222 4th Aug 2013 6:21pm
johnnyd

Glyn what sort of number do you get with the Delorme, can normal mobiles SMS to it?

JD

Glynparry25 wrote:
Yes, just text/email.... ne speech. But for the price of a sat phone, and the cost of a call you could get a recovery guy to follow you every time, lol.

Australia is different- you spend 80% of your time out of cell phone coverage when traveling on the main roads (I think I lost coverage for over 300 miles when traveling from Perth to Kalgoorlie. This is when a sat phone is a must- but out there you can rent a sat phone for next to nothing and then you just pay for calls if you make them.

Depends onmoney really-if you can afford to buy a sat-phone and then the credit (pre-pay runs out every 12 months). Otherwise, something like spot/ inreach ould be enough to text wife/ friend and get them to call the recovery guy.

OR spend all the money on a good selection of tools and repair it yourself Wink

Glyn Dog Sheep
 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #256272 4th Aug 2013 8:42pm
johnnyd

Delorme inreach SE arrived and configured Thumbs Up

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #256845 6th Aug 2013 9:13pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
I picked an Iridium 9505A up just before xmas for £170 on ebay and it was in excellent nick Smile
I had a 9505 previously and used it in Antarctica, mid atlantic, Patagonia no probs at all.

The call plans are pricey however but better than croaking it out in the desert coz you can't get hold of anyone Whistle 
Post #256893 6th Aug 2013 11:09pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Hey JD,

I am guessing that you know mow that you can message ANY cell phone number or email address (or post to FB or twitter) and they can just simply reply back as normal.... When you send a message to them it also ha a link with your position (Grid, height, speed etc)

Now my question....

What do you think of the SE?....... What is battery life like? (I will wait for that one).

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #256909 7th Aug 2013 7:37am
johnnyd

Hi Glyn

Knew about the email side, but not the mobile's, just tested it, works geat thanks Bow down

I like like SE, i can't compare obviously, and i will let you know about battery life once i have had it for a week or so.

I am slightly confused how someone sends a message to me, do they use the in reach email addy i have been given, or use the jersey mobile number offered on a delivered sms, i tried sending to the email addy but it didn't work

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #256920 7th Aug 2013 8:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>