↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Defender LED lights front and rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Defender LED lights front and rear
Updated all of the lights on my 90 for LED....

On the rear I put on Le Perei 95mm LED units that match the existing fog and reverse lamps. These are the same lights used on latest Defender special editions like x-tech etc. I sourced mine from Dun Bri...

Click image to enlarge

I went for 2 stop/tail, 2 Indicators and a fog, total £157+ VAT and delivery so about £190. I didn't go for the LED reverse light as its about £75+ VAT, but you could go for this too. So, if you went for reverse too, it would be about £270 shipped. When I ordered, some of the versions with wire tails were not in stock, so I ordered the superseal ones throughout.

For the plinths, I went for Genuine Land Rover ones that have the benefit that they scew into the existing holes. They are part no. LR009773 and cost about £4 each from paddocks...

Click image to enlarge

As you can see in above pic, I made up some adapter harnesses to go from standard econoseal connectors to superseal. I bought the correct tyco econoseal/superseal crimping tool along with 2-way and 3-way connectors of each type from www.polevolt.co.uk cost was about £77...

Click image to enlarge

Cost would only be about £20 if you already had the crimp tool and bought the LED lights with wire tails, as you would then just need 3of 2-way and 2of 3-way econoseal connectors.

For the reverse I went for putting in a compatible CREE LED bulb for £15...

Click image to enlarge

For the front I went for bolt on bits indicators that look like stock lights and cost £16 each. For the sidelights I put in 270 LED bulbs £12 delivered...

Click image to enlarge

For the indicators, you'll also need an LED flasher relay. I bought the one from Mobilecentre for £19 delivered...

Click image to enlarge

So here they are all fitted...

Click image to enlarge

and rear...

Click image to enlarge

And pics of them lit...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rear...

Click image to enlarge

Reverse and fog lit...

Click image to enlarge

Some close ups...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So I'm very happy with how they have turned out. You can try to justify expense, about £300, on longevity, robustness of LED's and the fact that you won't drain the battery so quickly if you accidentally leave the lights, but realistically you've got to like and want the look of them to justify expense and effort over the standard lamps.

Cheers

Steve

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #203418 19th Jan 2013 6:51pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Thumbs Up top job and a great write up. Are they the rdx front indicators you have Question if so how comes you didnt go for the rdx sidelights Thumbs Up

p.s- now all you need is one of our nice DRL Bumpers to match Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #203425 19th Jan 2013 7:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dobby

Nice write up, thanks.

I was thinking of doing the side light bulbs too.. how do you find those 207 bulb replacements? I've seen reviews that say because the diode's are 'inside' the bulb body, this limits the amount of light visible from the side-ish or the lens. Think that's a problem?

Also, how do they look next to the head lights, white or blue? I guess the headlights look a little yellow in comparison.

Cheers
Dobbs.
Post #203435 19th Jan 2013 8:08pm
SteveG

Yes RDX ones. I prefered more stock lock of standard Le Perei lenses, but I don't think you can source them with LED's and I couldn't find an amber led to fit shallower indicator lenses. So I'd bought sidelight led's by then, so just went for indicators.

Didn't go for Mobilecentre 70mm due to cost, looks and personally I do not like they way they need to bolt on through the back.

Forgot to add, that I put on Le Perei license plate LED light too.

DRL bumper not for me personally, but I'm planning to sell 90, so maybe new owner will want one? Wink

Cheers

Steve
Post #203436 19th Jan 2013 8:10pm
SteveG

Dobby wrote:
Nice write up, thanks.

I was thinking of doing the side light bulbs too.. how do you find those 207 bulb replacements? I've seen reviews that say because the diode's are 'inside' the bulb body, this limits the amount of light visible from the side-ish or the lens. Think that's a problem?

Also, how do they look next to the head lights, white or blue? I guess the headlights look a little yellow in comparison.

Cheers
Dobbs.

I wondered about that, but you do get quite a bit of side light too. The main lights are crystals with Osram night breaker plus, so not as yellow as stock halogens, but yes sidelights are whiter.
Post #203440 19th Jan 2013 8:13pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Thumbs Up well they sell them now mate i got the rdx sidelights on my 90 Thumbs Up Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #203446 19th Jan 2013 8:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MJN110

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Montalcino Red
I am considering fitting these NAS Perei lamps to my Montalcino red Defender cant decide on clear or coloured.
Does any body have any fitted to a Defender in red?
Any photos?
Thanks
Post #694210 18th Mar 2018 6:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1