↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Daft Question, But...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pumaxs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Daft Question, But...
...I'm not convinced that traction control is working correctly (or I am using it correctly!).
By way of a not particularly scientific test, I attempted to drive up a suitably muddy slope, where I was more or less guaranteed to lose grip - Especially on wheels still shod with the standard issue Grabber TR's!!
In low 2nd gear, with the diff lock engaged, the NSF wheel duly started spinning and the TC light on the dash lit up.
Keeping my foot on the throttle, I waited to hear the various 'clicks' & 'clunks' as the ABS braked the spinning wheel & TC started its search for grip.
But nothing happened, and the wheel just kept on spinning.
The ABS + TC dash lights illuminate + extinguish on start up, and the ABS braking works as expected - Having tested it on a big patch of wet leaves!
What am I doing wrong!!!!! Big Cry '57 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon 2.4tdci
Post #189247 28th Nov 2012 5:01pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Did you actually stop moving? These things work on differences in wheel speed and it's possible that the difference between the spinning one and the others wasn't great enough to kick the system into life. IME these TC systems need a 'determined' throttle to provoke them. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #189249 28th Nov 2012 5:11pm
pumaxs

I was stationary with the wheel spinning - Waiting for the 'magic' to begin!!
I do realise that there might not have been any grip to find - It would just have been nice if it'd had a look!! '57 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon 2.4tdci
Post #189250 28th Nov 2012 5:16pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
how many wheels were spinning?

did you maintain or increase throttle position

vehicle speed on the speedo? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #189256 28th Nov 2012 5:35pm
pumaxs

jst wrote:
how many wheels were spinning?

did you maintain or increase throttle position

vehicle speed on the speedo?

NSF definitely spinning.
OSF & OSR not spinning - as stuck head out of window!
NSR pretty sure not spinning.
Didn't think to look at speedo.
I can repeat the experiment & get an outside observer to view all wheels '57 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon 2.4tdci
Post #189258 28th Nov 2012 5:42pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
pumaxs wrote:
I do realise that there might not have been any grip to find - It would just have been nice if it'd had a look!!

Hmm, ok. There's no way you could be stationary with diff-lock engaged and only one wheel spinning, but even so I would have expected the TC to do something in that situation. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #189263 28th Nov 2012 5:58pm
pumaxs

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
pumaxs wrote:
I do realise that there might not have been any grip to find - It would just have been nice if it'd had a look!!

Hmm, ok. There's no way you could be stationary with diff-lock engaged and only one wheel spinning, but even so I would have expected the TC to do something in that situation.

Right, I will repeat the experiment in the light with an observer to confirm what is happening on each corner!
In any case, I was expecting something to be happening underneath.
I was (deliberately) put in a cross axle situation, at one of the Land Rover Experience Centres (in a 2012 Defender 110), and the noise created as the TC (?) resolved the situation was pretty noticeable.
Anyway, I'll shut up for now. '57 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon 2.4tdci
Post #189266 28th Nov 2012 6:18pm
jst

if difflock is in, one of the front and one of the rears will btoh be spinning.

i dont think ETC works below 8kph (of wheel not road speed) although i would have to check this.

if you accelerate to increase the speed of the spinning wheel(s) the ETC will work more effectively as it will react quicker to the greater wheel speed differentiations. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #189350 28th Nov 2012 9:48pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
OK,

When you lost traction and spinning did the light (TC) illuminate on the dash?

Aslo, when you say you kept on the accelerator- did you ease off at all? I find that on mine if the wheels are spinning too fast it won't engage the TC........ Which is good as if your 'spinning' wheel is doing about 20mph and the brake is applied to that wheel and your 'non-spinning' wheel has good grip you could say good by to either your diff or half shaft.

When losing traction, ease off the accelerator and see what happens. I think the TC has a top speed limit too (Differetion speed between wheels).

I knew mine was working 100% when in the snow I put it in low 1st and let it go (about 2-3' snow drifts). On tickover (Anti-stall) I was able to get out and watch the truck slowly creep forward as it moved the power around the wheels.

Regards,
Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #189452 29th Nov 2012 11:43am
jst

Glynparry25 wrote:
OK,

the brake is applied to that wheel and your 'non-spinning' wheel has good grip you could say good by to either your diff or half shaft.

or caliper bolts! dont ask!

that was with the siemens system though not Bosch which i think is far superior. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #189847 30th Nov 2012 6:08pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
jst wrote:

or caliper bolts! dont ask!

that was with the siemens system though not Bosch which i think is far superior.

Shocked Shocked I have to ask.... WTF happened?

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #190043 1st Dec 2012 3:14pm
pumaxs

Was in MJ Fews service dept last week about another matter, and mentioned that I didn't think the traction control was working properly + asked a few questions about its workings.
The technician reiterated the previous advice given, that any fault in the system would cause the ABS + TC dash lights to permanently illuminate, but that he would plug in the diagnostics & take a look.
Anyway, ten minute later he appears smiling & says that diagnostics are throwing up a fault code on a rear abs sensor failure.
So, it is possible to have a braking fault lurking in the system & not be made aware of it.
I will test TC again when the sensor has been replaced. '57 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon 2.4tdci
Post #194326 17th Dec 2012 5:16pm
pumaxs

Was in MJ Fews service dept last week about another matter, and mentioned that I didn't think the traction control was working properly + asked a few questions about its workings.
The technician reiterated the previous advice given, that any fault in the system would cause the ABS + TC dash lights to permanently illuminate, but that he would plug in the diagnostics & take a look.
Anyway, ten minute later he appears smiling & says that diagnostics are throwing up a fault code on a rear abs sensor failure.
So, it is possible to have a braking fault lurking in the system & not be made aware of it.
I will test TC again when the sensor has been replaced. '57 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon 2.4tdci
Post #194327 17th Dec 2012 5:16pm
limbrickh

New Zealand 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Traction Control seems to only work within each axle
I just had my 2012 2.2 Puma (equivalent to XS spec with TC and ABS) on a steep sandy boat ramp (with a boat on the back). The rear wheels were on hard sand and the front wheels were on a wooden boat ramp with scattered loose sand coating it.

With low range engaged (no centre diff lock) the Defender just sat there spinning both its front wheels. No power was going to the back wheels. Knowing that TC needs revs to operate, I increased the throttle till smoke was coming from the front wheels - still no movement from the rear wheels.

I engaged the centre diff lock and the Defender went straight up the ramp with no wheel spin at all.

Does TC only work within an axle and not between the front and rear axles? If so, no wonder they added the centre diff lock to the later Disco Series 2s - or is there a fault with mine? Recently I have noticed that it does seem too ready to spin its front wheels on steep hills.

Thanks

Hamish
Post #198320 2nd Jan 2013 9:45am
limbrickh

New Zealand 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I forgot to say that the TC light was illuminated on my dashboard when the 2 front wheels were spinning.

I didn't notice the speed on the speedo but the front wheels were spinning fast.
Post #198323 2nd Jan 2013 10:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>