↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > reliability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
The vacuum pump should be the new version on post-2007 models, I wouldn't worry about that.

Your biggest concern will be the clutch, just make sure that the latest recall has been done. Insist on it beforehand, since they are now on the 3rd version of the clutch (Aug 2012).

When you take it for a spin, cruise at 120kmh and then take your foot off the accelerator. If you hear a low-frequency rumble, have a look at the rear diff.

I would recommend you drill out the cat and get a bigger intercooler - the OEM one does not handle high ambient temps very well.

The TC is very good, and as for the electronics, I've yet to experience issues with them. If anything, they seem to be the most reliable part of the Puma Smile

Other than that, look out for the the usual Defender issues. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #188856 27th Nov 2012 2:34pm
adiep

Gibraltar 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Birdy wrote:
Reliability?

If you mean leaks, rust, faults, noises that’ll have you tearing your hair out or running to the dealers every five minutes, it’s the world’s worst vehicle, can’t be compared to a normal car, don’t buy one.

On the other hand, in continuous Series/Defender ownership for over fifty years, the only potential “get no furthers” were a faulty electrical fuel pump (bodged), a couple of broken half-shafts (stick it 4WD and drive slowly) and clutch hydraulics (got it back home from the South of France with great fun at the toll booths - missus running up to the barrier to pay, me approaching slowly keeping it in gear).

In other words there isn’t anything else that’ll keep you going like a Land Rover.

Only you can decide on your needs and priorities.

Peter

Well ive found one and will be making a bank transfer on Monday... I hope I dont regret this !!
Post #189912 30th Nov 2012 9:48pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“I hope I dont regret this”

It’s a vehicle to tow with, carry stuff in, drive over rough terrain, have fun with…

Do that and the only thing you’ll regret is not having done it before.

Peter
Post #189961 1st Dec 2012 12:41am
adiep

Birdy wrote:

It’s a vehicle to tow with, carry stuff in, drive over rough terrain, have fun with…

Peter

Thumbs Up

Thanks man, thats what i want it for Smile
Post #189975 1st Dec 2012 6:48am
adiep

adiep wrote:
Birdy wrote:

Peter

Thumbs Up

Well.. I did it. Now the proud owner of a 2008 110 Defender (white). Picking it up tomorrow and must say, quite excited Smile
Post #190631 3rd Dec 2012 8:00pm
crasha

United Kingdom 
I have recently sold my Defender... I have now had one TD5 110 and a 2.4 Puma 110.

Although we have gone back to a Discovery (for comfort, airbags and long distance cruising) I will miss having a Defender, they do what they say on the back !

Puma's are a real improvement over TD5 on some basics like:
6 speed: better motorway noise levels, not low but my TD5 with a roof cage at 70mph was very very noisy.
Ventilation: it works and with aircon demists effectively too (without freezing cold knees)

Offroad they are awesome and they just get on with the job and a few scratches and bumps only add to the character, easy to put different wheels on too - so you go much further than with a road standard Disco without worrying as much about the paintwork.

The only real downside of a Defender is the absolute comfort and safety aspects versus a modern vehicle.

I have also never been left at the side of the road with any Land Rover product. Maintenance yes but no break-downs. You can get a Friday car but in my experience with Defenders they just work.

However Defenders are not normal cars so as I see you have just bought one, enjoy the experience - they are great and a very different vehicle to own for some fun.
Post #190808 4th Dec 2012 1:22pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I spoke to friend today, who has had many Land Rovers and he even sells the Snatch versions and runs a fun day site.
Around a year ago he had a 130 Puma, in 15,000 miles it had 2 half shafts, and a gearbox.
When I spoke to him today, he said he'd sold is 130, as a week after the gearbox went in, the engine threw a piston.
It was replaced under warranty and sold on. Scary.
Post #191000 4th Dec 2012 10:22pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
adiep wrote:
adiep wrote:
Birdy wrote:

Peter

Thumbs Up

Well.. I did it. Now the proud owner of a 2008 110 Defender (white). Picking it up tomorrow and must say, quite excited Smile

Come on we're waiting for an update - you got it yet  2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #191007 4th Dec 2012 10:44pm
adiep

Landlord wrote:
adiep wrote:
adiep wrote:
Birdy wrote:

Peter

Thumbs Up

Come on we're waiting for an update - you got it yet

Hahaaaaaa ! Yes !! I drove it the 160km home, managed to really really enjoy it, feeling quite smug Smile it's now in the underground garage -- so luckily it fits through the door ! I have a nagging feeling that i want to go down and either clean it or take it down the beach for a drive in the sand, unfortunately its 11pm, so may have to wait till morning Smile

car was a lot less noisy than i thought it would be, seems sedate when doing 110km, bit more wind noise at 120-130km, didnt go quicker than that. the door next to my ear seems to be lettling wind noise through, so first job to tackle !! Very Happy

the motor is bloody big, but i feel OK with it's size and i love the way it pulls uphill, seems to have quite a bit of muscle, though not much speed.

paint is white and needs a right good t-cutting due to rain staining, but otherwise panels look pretty good, dent free which is a miracle for a spanish car.

the black plastic areas outside are all a bit faded due to sun, so need something to re-black it (any ideas?)

the wheels are those white steel ones, so will replace them for something else, maybe alloys but i quite like the way those black modular wheels look, alloys look a bit racey, but early days...

driving it: at first i thought there was far too much play in the steering when doing 110-120km, but then got used to it, however maybe i tighten that up somehow? or is it suposed to be a bit looser then you might expect from a car? but i felt comfortable driving it... gear changes are a bit clunky going from 3-4th, i think its "transmission slack"? but seems better if i get the gar change right, makes no noise then.

Turning circle is a bit bloody useless Very Happy took a few turns to get round the underground garage, but OK i guess. think i will get used to it.

very much looking forards to weekend and drive into the andalucian mountains, there are some great tracks around here and my 4 year old son will love it Smile

so very happy... Smile

Last edited by adiep on 4th Dec 2012 11:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #191017 4th Dec 2012 11:11pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Congratulations

All the things you mention are the enjoyable peculiarities of driving a Defender, you'll soon get used to them Thumbs Up

Now you've got it let the fun begin  2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #191018 4th Dec 2012 11:21pm
jlerra

Gibraltar 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
To buy or not to buy
Hi Adiep,
I have had a Defender since 2007 , biugt at the local dealer in Gibraltar and has been back and forth, between Gib and UK.
I now live in Gib and if you are interested to see and discuss the pro's and con's of having a Defender in Gib. I am happy to discuss since I live and keep my truck in Gib.

Joe
jlserra@gibtelecom.net JLS
'El Pepe Flamenco'
Post #191084 5th Dec 2012 10:30am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I have one of the early 2007. I had no trust whatsoever because of the vacuum pump and clutch issues. However, after heavy use (including intensive use of rear lock diff and other upgrades) I have no complains. I trust it as much as the 3 Series we have had in the past. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #191166 5th Dec 2012 3:37pm
adiep

Re: To buy or not to buy
jlerra wrote:
Hi Adiep,
I have had a Defender since 2007 , biugt at the local dealer in Gibraltar and has been back and forth, between Gib and UK.
I now live in Gib and if you are interested to see and discuss the pro's and con's of having a Defender in Gib. I am happy to discuss since I live and keep my truck in Gib.

Joe
jlserra@gibtelecom.net

Hi Joe, I mailed you.. Good to see someone local with a Defender !
Post #191186 5th Dec 2012 4:47pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
"the black plastic areas outside are all a bit faded due to sun, so need something to re-black it (any ideas?) "

Gtechniq C4 and CarPro Perl are good for this.

Cheers

Steve
Post #191188 5th Dec 2012 4:57pm
adiep

Well... now done 500km.

Ive driven through a small river, up mountain dirt tracks, through boggy fields and up and down sand dunes -- in 4 days Very Happy lol, this really is a superb area to own a 4x4.

Anyway, wow, am I flipping impressed. Its just amazing off road, ive been flying across the beach in deep wet sand, no problem not even using diff locks and have standard tyres on. Today I did a 15km rock strewn and potholed hell road from .... hell and it made mince meat of it - i did that road before in my subaru forester and it took over an hour and half, today I just cruised through it, it was a piece of cake.

ive now also tried out this anti stall stuff on sandy hills and very muddy fields... wow. its bonkers, its just keeps going somehow and manages to control speed going up and coming back down. very cool !

I had a freaky experience yesterday, i had the breaks lock up 5 times in the wet, was a bit frightening to say the least, then i googled and someone mentioned that going to the full 48psi on back tyres was like a death wish in the wet... i had of course only that day increased pressure to 48psi from 30... So reduced it to 35psi on rear and lockups are gone ! phew !

on the road, ive had her up to 130kph on the dual carriage way, seems happy enough, also after today's 250km going through various types of road, i feel plenty relaxed and not at all fatigued.

So in short, bloody brilliant ! Thumbs Up

(i could waffle on about this car no end Laughing )
Post #191923 8th Dec 2012 10:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>