↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Clutch replacement, 55.000km, two years and no warranty?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
robharvey

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Geez, you blokes on the Highveld like to scrap. I've had two clutch exchanges (at 30k and 80k) and on neither occasion was there even a murmur from the Dealer. Must be the coastal air here in Durbs Wink
Post #186557 20th Nov 2012 11:33am
Regard

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
robharvey wrote:
Geez, you blokes on the Highveld like to scrap. I've had two clutch exchanges (at 30k and 80k) and on neither occasion was there even a murmur from the Dealer. Must be the coastal air here in Durbs Wink

Ja.....you okes are to chilled down there......but do not worry, December is upon us and you will soon be trampled by thousands of us "highvelders"/ex-"Vaalies" Laughing U need to push those blood pressures every now and again.
Post #186559 20th Nov 2012 11:54am
AlpenAndes

Austria 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Belize Green
Thanks Regard for the bulletins. Will send the to the dealer and will see what happens.
Post #186566 20th Nov 2012 12:10pm
bvandyk

Yup. It was not easy, and a lot of emails. It was a mission to get them to reply to me in writing. After every request they just phoned, and no record of what was said.
Eventually after probably the 20th email to them and 4 months down the line, they put their case in writing to me.
I basically tore every sentence apart with a counter statement and photo proof, and eventually it ended on the desk of the head at the technical department. My money was refunded in the matter of minutes...

Good luck!

Regard wrote:
Hi AlpenAndes

It seems that we have an extremely knowledgable member in our midst....... Whistle

I would recomend you follow his advice and let him send all the info to your email. Then use that info to give them hell!

For latest recall see: https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...0Noise.pdf

And then another "update" on that recall 14 days later: https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...0Noise.pdf

Also see this thread for more ammo: http://www.defender2.net/forum/post166443.html#166443

Also see this thread on our SA forum: http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread...ost1279543

After reading all this info you will notice that there are two issues with the clutch: the first is the springs that collapse/brake/fall out and the second is that washer problem. Mine was the springs and they replaced it no charge and Bvandyk's was the washer and they eventualy replaced for no charge.

Yes, it took some fghting by some but they DID GET THEIR MONEY BACK!!!!! Others like me was lucky and they just replaced it for free.........now (and maybe we should ask this to our informed fellow member.......) how do they replace one cluthc for free and the other not if both vehicles have simmilar miles and age on it???????

And why (if they have such set rules in their policy) did they suddenly change their tune when some members put up a fight and then reimbursed them????????

My point stands.......do not take no for an answer!!!

Would you rather just loose that €200 or what ever they want to rip you off with?
Post #188555 26th Nov 2012 6:13pm
bvandyk

In the end it was really worth replacing the clutch. It really transformed my Puma into a "new" vehicle. Totally different drive, and a lot less weird noises that I was told is normal. Lot faster gear changes. No more "clunk" when changing gears. No more rattles in low gears. (Although that seems to be coming back???)
Even if you have to pay in the end, for me it was worth the replacement...

PS it was done on +- 56000km if I remember correctly
Post #188556 26th Nov 2012 6:16pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
AlpenAndes

If you like more information mine was replaced under guarantee at 42,000 km. At the first time they like to entitled us a misuse of the clutch (thing that are we sure that was not the case), but finally after open it and found all the springs out, all the works were done under the guarantee.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #188564 26th Nov 2012 6:47pm
AlpenAndes

Hola Eduardo,

last week Ditec said they will take it apart, have a look at it and come back to me. First of all I asked myself how they made the quotation of 2k Euros if they did not take it apart before and secondly of course they did not come back to me yet.
I keep on trying!

Saludos desde Bogota
Oskar
Post #188571 26th Nov 2012 7:19pm
AlpenAndes

Latest news from this morning, the stealer said they decided to do it under warranty!

It almost sounded like, we don't like it, but we do it. Still have no details what exactly they do/did. But for a job which according to the bulletin needs 4-5 hours they need more than a week and still cannot confirm the car is ready when I return on Friday...
Post #188868 27th Nov 2012 4:32pm
willemdelange

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I have experienced the familiar grinding noise when crawling in 1st - as well as some “grabbing” when you select 1ste gear from neutral at stand-still. All pointed to a failing clutch on my 2011 Puma with barely 30000km on the clock. This link has been extremely helpful to present my case to my local dealer. I would like to commend DONVOL Stellenbosch for their superb service in this regard – they simply took the vehicle in and replaced the clutch at no cost to me (I bought the vehicle from them) – no questions were asked and no issues were raised… Thumbs Up The vehicle is now much a smoother ride – wondering why this clutch problem still persists. Can’t LandRover change the clutch to save themselves money?
Post #192871 12th Dec 2012 5:54am
bvandyk

willemdelange wrote:
I have experienced the familiar grinding noise when crawling in 1st - as well as some “grabbing” when you select 1ste gear from neutral at stand-still. All pointed to a failing clutch on my 2011 Puma with barely 30000km on the clock. This link has been extremely helpful to present my case to my local dealer. I would like to commend DONVOL Stellenbosch for their superb service in this regard – they simply took the vehicle in and replaced the clutch at no cost to me (I bought the vehicle from them) – no questions were asked and no issues were raised… Thumbs Up The vehicle is now much a smoother ride – wondering why this clutch problem still persists. Can’t LandRover change the clutch to save themselves money?

I wish all dealers could be like that!
A friend is busy buying a 2nd hand Puma, and the dealer is refusing to fix the clutch issue. They insist its normal.
Even after showing them the recall for it.

Seems like every single Puma suffers from this.
My Puma drove like a new vehicle after the clutch replacement. It made a massive difference.
But the rattle noise is back again after less than 10k km.
Luckily all the other clunks and noises are still gone...
Post #192873 12th Dec 2012 6:42am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
willemdelange wrote:
I would like to commend DONVOL Stellenbosch for their superb service in this regard – they simply took the vehicle in and replaced the clutch at no cost to me (I bought the vehicle from them) – no questions were asked and no issues were raised… Thumbs Up

Hmmm, now LR warranty is saying no to a 2nd clutch as a preventative measure. I am having to fight them on this Rolling Eyes --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #192937 12th Dec 2012 1:15pm
Eduardo

Good for you Alpen!

Cheers Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #193069 13th Dec 2012 12:18am
AlpenAndes

Well Eduardo,

I still don't know what to say after having the car back for two weeks, shifting the gears is working as hard as before.
Don't knwo what they did. Do not see marks on dirty screws that they would have worked on it.
After half a year and six attempts in the workshop the heating still is cold on the right side. But in exchange they lost the tools, the jack and worst, the nut for the locking wheel nuts. Of course a replacement from paddocks take ages to arrive to the end of the world and I want to go south in a week. Now they will try to take the nuts off and fear already to damage the wheels. Estimated time is two days and of course no replacement car in sight.
Post #193076 13th Dec 2012 5:53am
Eduardo

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Alpen,

If you like to compare the snoothness of the gearbox we can meet.
(We are still waiting the quotation of the dealer and the decision from the Insurance company)

Cheers! Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #193112 13th Dec 2012 11:29am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
AlpenAndes wrote:
... worst, the nut for the locking wheel nuts. Of course a replacement from paddocks take ages to arrive to the end of the world and I want to go south in a week. Now they will try to take the nuts off and fear already to damage the wheels. Estimated time is two days and of course no replacement car in sight.

I removed the lock nut and replaced with a normal nu. Far too many stories of people who get a flat in the middle of nowhere and then the lock nut strips and they end up being stuck.

Of course, it helps that in Africa, no one is stupid enough to steal a Defender - they know they will not get far Rolling with laughter --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #193131 13th Dec 2012 1:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>