↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Norway 2013... Are you going???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
fog lights Whistle Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #213550 23rd Feb 2013 11:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
They are Rigid Industry Dually D2 LED lights, I copied the idea from Boode who recommended them for heavy snow conditions. they are 2600 lumens, and worked really well in the snow where white headlights are a bit dazzling. Supplied by ZenOverland.com

Fitted to a D44 HD bumper

Yobbie is in the process of fitting the same units, although his have white LEDs ...
Post #213591 23rd Feb 2013 3:55pm
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
bpman wrote:
They are Rigid Industry Dually D2 LED lights,

Yobbie is in the process of fitting the same units, although his have white LEDs ...

Not quite, I went for both, a pair of yellow wide beam fog lights & a pair of white spot beam. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #213624 23rd Feb 2013 7:09pm
bpman

they look great Rob, really cleaned up the front look of your lovley truck Thumbs Up

How are the lights at night ?
Post #213625 23rd Feb 2013 7:17pm
yobbie

Went for a quick spin last night, and was very impressed with the spots Thumbs Up I think the fogs need a bit of adjustment though. Glad you had a good trip, when's the premiere of the photos? You don't need a bumper for your TDi do you?
Post #213629 23rd Feb 2013 7:29pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Didn't some clown roll their truck on this trip?
Post #213751 24th Feb 2013 11:01am
bpman

BigMike wrote:

Mike - not on my trip. They were on an organised trip. It was an accident by all accounts. Mark was unlucky.

have a look here, full details on homepage http://www.mudrut.co.uk/

Last edited by bpman on 24th Feb 2013 11:57am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #213754 24th Feb 2013 11:04am
bpman

yobbie wrote:
Went for a quick spin last night, and was very impressed with the spots Thumbs Up I think the fogs need a bit of adjustment though. Glad you had a good trip, when's the premiere of the photos? You don't need a bumper for your TDi do you?

Let's catch up ... I think I could use a bumper cheers
Post #213755 24th Feb 2013 11:05am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
yobbie wrote:
bpman wrote:
They are Rigid Industry Dually D2 LED lights,

Not quite, I went for both, a pair of yellow wide beam fog lights & a pair of white spot beam. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Yobbie, nice work that bumper. Any chance you or Bpman could post a picture(s) of how the light performance is with only the yellow wide beam fog lights on? So without the spots and if possible without the normal low beam lights on. Would be interested to see if these indeed lighten up the road well in front and how wide to the side of the truck.
Tks, Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #213790 24th Feb 2013 1:41pm
yobbie

Steve might have some pics I don't yet, otherwise look at the Zen overland website there are some pics there. Thumbs Up
Post #213794 24th Feb 2013 1:55pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
So, we've been back 2 weeks already Big Cry thought i'd put up a few of the photos and round off from this years trip for us.

As some know this is the second time I have undertaken a Norway trip in a Defender. Every time I travel in the arctic I have a very different experience, but always love it!

The route

The ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg followed by a quick drive up through Denmark, then Hirtshlas to Larvik, shortly after which we join the E6 and follow it up through Norway - though after a few days of the sat Nav saying "follow the E6 for XXXkms" we had to take some detours just for a change! Laughing

This year we didn't go further than Tromso: Nordkapp takes another 2 days from Tromso and there is very little else to do but visit the cape. It is a great place to go, but one you have been there a few times, and with no-one in our group particularly fussed on visiting it, we decided to have a bit more time in Tromso and Kiruna exploring the area. On the way back we went down the east coast of Sweden to Stockholm, then across to Copenhagen before heading straight back through Denmark to Esbjerg.

This was a slightly different route to previous occasions but worked well - the journey back through Sweden is faster than going up through Norway by about a day but the scenery is not as spectacular. Even if you do stay on the E6 in Norway then the surroundings are stunning, but just a few small detours will make it all the more special!

The roads

This year there was a massive amount of snow and ice on the ground, pretty much solid from Trondheim up.

The Norweigans keep the roads in very good passable conditions, they will be out ploughing them day and night when required even in the very rural areas. On the rare occasion when it does get too bad the roads are shut at strategic intervals and you have to join a convoy lead by a snow plough.

In Sweden the roads were not kept in quite such good condition. The main link between Tromso and Kiruna (the E10) is known for being one of the most dangerous roads in Sweden and the day we went across it was pretty bad. Large drifts gather at the side of the road, combined with a really flat light makes for difficult driving conditions. If you do catch a drift it drags the car to the side and can be quite tricky to control so taking it easy and good forward planning is a must!

Coming into Kiruna was bad all the way, with a massive amount of loose powder on the road surface. In the short drive between Abisko and Kiruna we saw 3 vehicles that had got it wrong and were awaiting recovery, or for one was on it's roof - certainly helps to keep you focused!!

We came across a lot more reindeer on the roads this year, it seemed they were using the roads as a way of getting around due to the depth of soft powder. Although we had a few encounters we never got close but did see a fair few dead ones at the side of the road.

The truck
The 2008 110 USW is fairly new to me, having only bought it off Matt from Fcx a few months ago.

The main work and changes to prepare it for the trip were:
- A new twin battery setup
- Lighting upgrades
- New front diff (Ashcroft ATB)
- Suspension mods
- ICE
- Webasto Thermo Top C heater
- Some other creature comforts inside
- Custom storage solution in the boot
- Breather heater
- Removed viscous fan

It performed really well, a brief moment was had where the starter misbehaved but this was quickly identified as a dirty contact and once cleaned was fine.

We didn't apply any extra insulation but the puma heater is so effective we were never cold. Even in very cold conditions we never had the heater running a full blast.

There was a radiator blind on the front, but this was never needed and once the engine was warm and running the auxiliary heater wasn't needed despite temperature reaching down to -27 whilst driving.

Accommodation
Camping under canvas really adds a special element but requires taking a lot more gear, we travelled from campsite to campsite staying in the cabins that are scattered all over Norway. They are cheap, warm, well equipped and always clean, a great accommodation option.

Summary

It was, as always, a fantastic trip, time in Tromso / Kiruna was excellent, including taking part in some of the 'fun' winter activities. We luckily got to see the Northern Lights on one night, despite generally cloudy / snowy weather. It was also great to meet some other forum members during the trip!

If anyone is after any details of where we went, what we did, what kit we used etc. then just pm and i'll share whatever I can.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now, who is going to join in the 2014 trip Thumbs Up
Post #213922 24th Feb 2013 7:50pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
BigMike wrote:

Yes Mike i did roll my truck. Given the choices of a head on collision with a Finnish car in the middle of the road or moving out of the way, i chose to move out of the way. Unfortunately i clipped the snow bank which ended up with me on my side. I'm sure though you would have done much better. Next time you might want to find out some details before calling someone a "clown!"

Mark
Post #213973 24th Feb 2013 9:04pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
BigMike wrote:

Yes Mike i did roll my truck. Given the choices of a head on collision with a Finnish car in the middle of the road or moving out of the way, i chose to move out of the way. Unfortunately i clipped the snow bank which ended up with me on my side. I'm sure though you would have done much better. Next time you might want to find out some details before calling someone a "clown!"

Mark
Post #213978 24th Feb 2013 9:09pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
BigMike wrote:

What a stupid comment.

The clown in question caught his front offside wheel on some deeper snow as he moved over to avoid an oncoming vehicle in the middle of the road ! Speed was minimal, deeper snow dragged the vehicle sideways sufficiently to cause it to slew round and gently roll over. Hardly a scratch was caused and no injuries. Considering the mileage completed, weather conditions and driving hours, there was no other incidents to speak of. Pope10001 did well to reduce the consequences by driving at a sensible speed in the conditions.

Bpman's group also suffered their share of incidents, again without serious consequences.

We saw a number of local vehicles on the trip which had succumbed to the weather conditions, including an Artic with trailer that had rolled over.

Any group of vehicles that drives 4000 miles in two weeks in difficult conditions without any incidents is very lucky. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top

Last edited by Landlord on 24th Feb 2013 10:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #214003 24th Feb 2013 10:04pm
bpman

Landlord you are indeed correct, we were travelling with 2 other trucks and met a third in Grong, Norway. One truck had an off in Finland and was recovered to the UK, another suffered propshaft issues, as far as we know fixed by a land rover garage in Norway and the other had clutch/master cylinder issues which regular top ups kept the truck going back to the UK. We had no problems at all Smile

Accidents happen, but as Phoenix90 states, you need a very well prepared truck, electrics need to be 100% and some luck to get thru the arctic.

we also saw a lorry with a trailer upside down, and a couple cars off the road.
Post #214024 24th Feb 2013 10:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>