Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > My new Sankey trailer build
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
jasong4110

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Java Black
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Hi RLD,

Can I ask what you've done to fit alloys to your trailer? I'm collecting a wide track on Saturday and one of the things I'd like to do is have wheels and tyres to match my 110, which is on Boosts.

I have boost's on my Sankey I ground off the lifting ring but the wheel is still tight, I however fitted 30mm spacers as that then matches the track on my truck, they fit very well. although with boost even with shims they will stick out from the standard tub as they are clearly wider.

The other problem I had was that the first set of spacers I got were the fancy self centring ones and would not go over the hub but the cheaper ones would.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Post #166639 5th Sep 2012 11:11pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
RLD wrote:
they are D3 wheel adapter but to put alloys from you Defender you will need Spacers i have a D3 as well as my 130 and i will put spacers on to fit the 130 wheels the ones on are D3

Thanks RLD.

jasong4110 wrote:
I have boost's on my Sankey I ground off the lifting ring but the wheel is still tight, I however fitted 30mm spacers as that then matches the track on my truck, they fit very well. although with boost even with shims they will stick out from the standard tub as they are clearly wider.

The other problem I had was that the first set of spacers I got were the fancy self centring ones and would not go over the hub but the cheaper ones would.

Thanks too, Jason. As it happens, since posting my question I've discovered your trailer build thread over on LR4x4 and am about half way through reading it. All very inspirational stuff Thumbs Up

Do you remember which spacers you ended up with and were you able to just buy a pair or do you perhaps have another pair gathering dust somewhere? 30mm would be a match my truck too Cool Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #166644 6th Sep 2012 6:41am
jasong4110

I had all sorts of fun with the spacers, I emailed the usual sellers but they wanted almost the same for two as they did for a set... In the end I brought a set of the fancy ones and found out they didn't fit!! Just as I was about to get them machined a pair pinged up on the bay.

So I got the pair for £15 and sold the others for my cost.

I may know where there is a pair give me a coupe of days an I will let you know.

Jason
Post #166676 6th Sep 2012 11:21am
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
THere was a pair for sale on here a while back - Greeni iirc left over from trailer build.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #166687 6th Sep 2012 1:06pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Any idea why the stubs are not half way between the existing ones. I can think of no engineering reason to do it that way?

Maybe that's why they were cheap Wink

jasong4110 wrote:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Post #166751 6th Sep 2012 5:38pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks again Jason (and for the PM). I'll stop hi-jacking RLD's thread now Whistle Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #166769 6th Sep 2012 6:17pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
hey no it's all about trailer no problem by me Cool RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #166783 6th Sep 2012 7:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD

United Kingdom 
bit more done
 RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #167162 9th Sep 2012 6:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Can't wait to see it in the flesh Ray, going to be brilliant. Thumbs Up Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #167164 9th Sep 2012 6:28pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up thanks Pete RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #167165 9th Sep 2012 6:30pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
i got the frame knocked up for my rapier.

how do you intend to insulate it?
Post #167168 9th Sep 2012 6:53pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
In my other trailer i did i used 6mm plate i just used rock wool but the 4 " stuff and i have had no problem with it at all i will use 2/3" stuff in this one RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #167171 9th Sep 2012 7:06pm
LandRoverAnorak

Can I ask you guys about the running gear on the Mk3? Having now got mine home, it's slightly more battered than I'd hoped and is going to need some refurbishment. I don't think the brakes have been touched for years, although they do seem to work, but I'd still like to replace all of the gubbins.

I gather from scouring the 'net that the calipers and pads are from a Ford Scorpio and the disks and shocks are Defender? I'm not sure exactly which Defender though, or which end. I've also been looking into a replacement master cylinder, which seems to be the first thing that all new Mk3 owners do Rolling Eyes When they were built, it looks like the most obscure cylinder possible was used. I've found a company that will supply a new Lucas version, albeit with a shorter push-rod, for about £120, but I wondered if you'd found cheaper and/or more readily available solution? From what I can see, there are a few alternatives that would fit the space, but they all seem to be 3/4 inch bore alloy bodied ones as opposed to the 7/8 inch cast iron body of the original.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, I also need to find somebody that can do some welding as the tub is in need of a fair amount of attention too Rolling Eyes Darren

Post #167751 11th Sep 2012 10:04pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
i have 3 trailers and never had to replace brake parts apart from the master cylinder pot which i got from trying to remember i sent the link to KEN so ask him RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #167787 12th Sep 2012 8:31am
jasong4110

You are correct about the calipers and pads, although I don't think the discs are land rover but a machined version of the Scorpio ones, cylinder again is an odd one but yes the shocks are 110 rears. I may still have some spare bits as I broke 2 trailers to make mine.

Jason
Post #167789 12th Sep 2012 8:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>