Home > Technical > ATB (torsen) front and rear install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 23 <123 ... 212223>
Print this entire topic · 
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Two weeks on...
geobloke wrote:
Two weeks on and I am still getting used to the ATBs. The difference is quite remarkable, but there are a few observations worth noting at this early stage. Miffy has covered 6-700 miles covering all grades of main roads and a number of green lanes as well.

Vehicle: Miffy is a 2003 TD5 110 CSW without ABS/TC. She has a moderate engine tweak. She does have a full roll cage and ARBs front and rear. Sitting on 285/75/16 AT tyres. She is not the heaviest, but she's no lightweight.

Observations

1) Quick junction pull off: This has been transformed. Previously the old girl would spin one front wheel if you gave the pedal a little poke and especially in the wet or cold. No longer. Mirrors. Signal. Shoot of the line... No wheel spinning. Positive acceleration. So much safer.

2) Lift off oversteer: Yikes, that was a surprise, not sure I have read about this one. This happens as you are turning into a corner and lift off a tad. With an open diff you'd understeer and power on out of the corner. But with the ATB in the front the reverse happens. It is not a problem, obviously you just keep your foot planted and hold on Rolling Eyes And the tighter the turn the more obvious the oversteer. Interesting experience the first few times.

3) Firm steering: This has been said before, but the front ATB does add weight to the feel of the steering. It is not horrid by any standard, in fact it has the feeling of positive resistance .

4) Return to centre: Also been said before. I like this additional return to steering centre. It is not scary but as above has a lovely positive feel.

5) Fast road: Well obviously within speed limits and the Defenders capability Rolling Eyes The ATBs are superbly invisible at speed, as you'd perhaps expect. But when you do have to plant the accelerator pedal whilst at speed to overtake there is no hesitation and the grip is marvellous. Feels planted.

6) Braking: I am not sure how the mechanics of this works, perhaps someone can enlighten me. The old girl appears to be stopping much much better. By that I mean shorter distances, straighter and it is almost impossible to lock up the wheels. It must be the transference of power L and R across the axle. I do wonder if this is going to accelerate brake disc and pad wear in the long run. But it is definitely something I can live with, the braking feels much more positive.

7) Gravel/Cobble tracks: Good lord above what a superb level of grip. Now Miffy has always been excellent on gravel tracks, never had much to complain about. She just bimbled along them every now and again into difflock and out again. But the difference is another level above this. Honestly the old adage of "low, difflock, 3rd - go anywhere" should be re-written for us ATB bods. Super levels of traction. Super confident. But, it extends beyond that because slow cobble descents

Cool Low and slow: I do like to go low and slow, engine braking down long scrabbly descents. I like the control and technicality of wheel placement. With the ATBs it is another level of control whilst going low and slow. Yes the steering is a tad heavier, but the additional cross axle traction is worth it. Super slow and controlled. Such a great addition.

So, take what you will from that two week review. I believe the steering is lightening slightly as the front diff is becoming used, it feels more transparent than it did initially. The rear is completely invisible. I cannot wait to see how Miffy does over the winter period, we get some incredibly variable conditions here in darkest Denbighshire and is one of the reasons for the for fitting the ATBs. Do I still wish I had ABS and TC.... Hmmm... Less so I think. I would love to drive a Defender with ATBs and TC out of curiosity. I have in the past toyed around with retrofitting ABS and TC to Miffy. It is not a dreadfully difficult thing to do, involved yes, but not impossible. But, I am a bloke who thoroughly enjoys the simplicity of mechanical components and I seriously doubt I would consider retrofitting ABS/TC anymore. Or at least if I do crave ABS/TC it will be for the challenge rather than the requirement, if that makes sense.

Lets see how things go from here Thumbs Up

Interesting feedback. Do you think you'll have chance to get the vehicle fully cross axled, in a situation where you know it might have been stopped with open diffs? Would be interesting to see what your feedback would be in such a situation.
Post #1011793 19th Oct 2023 3:19pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Interesting feedback. Do you think you'll have chance to get the vehicle fully cross axled, in a situation where you know it might have been stopped with open diffs? Would be interesting to see what your feedback would be in such a situation.

Well, as long as there is traction under most of the wheels then I would expect the ATBs to assist overcoming the obstacle. If there are wheels dangling in the air the ATB will do sweet fanny Adams. But yes of course I am keen to have a try and see what happens, left foot braking at the ready... Thumbs Up
Post #1011794 19th Oct 2023 3:23pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Its times like this you need to do the roller test - a set of rollers under each wheel one at a time or axle at a time and see if you can get traction

Such as  1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1011796 19th Oct 2023 3:26pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Would you believe it John if I told you I left my test rollers in my other trousers????!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter
Post #1011799 19th Oct 2023 3:31pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
That is just bad planning. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1011801 19th Oct 2023 3:34pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
excossack wrote:
Its times like this you need to do the roller test - a set of rollers under each wheel one at a time or axle at a time and see if you can get traction

Such as

Do you know where to get rollers like that or are they all custom built?
Post #1011838 19th Oct 2023 5:54pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Post #1011840 19th Oct 2023 6:08pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Chaps, my 90 went in for the 14th annual service, and the rear half-shafts were replaced due to wear & tear.

Now there is quite a bit of backlash from the rear, and the workshop says they have been through the whole suspension, and this is coming from inside the diff.

Can the ATB's setup be tweaked to get rid of this backlash, or are they talking kak? Neutral --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #1027288 8th Mar 2024 3:28pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
One thing is the pinion to crown backlash. Inside the atb you will find I think six helical gears, 2 sun gears and a central spring. So if the backlash is within specs, then I guess you will have to check the internals. Very likely Ashcroft can give you some feedback. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1027290 8th Mar 2024 3:35pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
geobloke wrote:
Two weeks on and I am still getting used to the ATBs. The difference is quite remarkable, but there are a few observations worth noting at this early stage. Miffy has covered 6-700 miles covering all grades of main roads and a number of green lanes as well.

Vehicle: Miffy is a 2003 TD5 110 CSW without ABS/TC. She has a moderate engine tweak. She does have a full roll cage and ARBs front and rear. Sitting on 285/75/16 AT tyres. She is not the heaviest, but she's no lightweight.

Observations

1) Quick junction pull off: This has been transformed. Previously the old girl would spin one front wheel if you gave the pedal a little poke and especially in the wet or cold. No longer. Mirrors. Signal. Shoot of the line... No wheel spinning. Positive acceleration. So much safer.

2) Lift off oversteer: Yikes, that was a surprise, not sure I have read about this one. This happens as you are turning into a corner and lift off a tad. With an open diff you'd understeer and power on out of the corner. But with the ATB in the front the reverse happens. It is not a problem, obviously you just keep your foot planted and hold on Rolling Eyes And the tighter the turn the more obvious the oversteer. Interesting experience the first few times.

3) Firm steering: This has been said before, but the front ATB does add weight to the feel of the steering. It is not horrid by any standard, in fact it has the feeling of positive resistance .

4) Return to centre: Also been said before. I like this additional return to steering centre. It is not scary but as above has a lovely positive feel.

5) Fast road: Well obviously within speed limits and the Defenders capability Rolling Eyes The ATBs are superbly invisible at speed, as you'd perhaps expect. But when you do have to plant the accelerator pedal whilst at speed to overtake there is no hesitation and the grip is marvellous. Feels planted.

6) Braking: I am not sure how the mechanics of this works, perhaps someone can enlighten me. The old girl appears to be stopping much much better. By that I mean shorter distances, straighter and it is almost impossible to lock up the wheels. It must be the transference of power L and R across the axle. I do wonder if this is going to accelerate brake disc and pad wear in the long run. But it is definitely something I can live with, the braking feels much more positive.

7) Gravel/Cobble tracks: Good lord above what a superb level of grip. Now Miffy has always been excellent on gravel tracks, never had much to complain about. She just bimbled along them every now and again into difflock and out again. But the difference is another level above this. Honestly the old adage of "low, difflock, 3rd - go anywhere" should be re-written for us ATB bods. Super levels of traction. Super confident. But, it extends beyond that because slow cobble descents

Cool Low and slow: I do like to go low and slow, engine braking down long scrabbly descents. I like the control and technicality of wheel placement. With the ATBs it is another level of control whilst going low and slow. Yes the steering is a tad heavier, but the additional cross axle traction is worth it. Super slow and controlled. Such a great addition.

So, take what you will from that two week review. I believe the steering is lightening slightly as the front diff is becoming used, it feels more transparent than it did initially. The rear is completely invisible. I cannot wait to see how Miffy does over the winter period, we get some incredibly variable conditions here in darkest Denbighshire and is one of the reasons for the for fitting the ATBs. Do I still wish I had ABS and TC.... Hmmm... Less so I think. I would love to drive a Defender with ATBs and TC out of curiosity. I have in the past toyed around with retrofitting ABS and TC to Miffy. It is not a dreadfully difficult thing to do, involved yes, but not impossible. But, I am a bloke who thoroughly enjoys the simplicity of mechanical components and I seriously doubt I would consider retrofitting ABS/TC anymore. Or at least if I do crave ABS/TC it will be for the challenge rather than the requirement, if that makes sense.

It has been almost 6 months since fitting both ATBs into Miffys axles and I thought I would go back through the earlier observations, see if anything has changed.

First off though, Miffy has now covered 3-4000 miles since fitting the ATBs and again a real mixture of surfaces, distances and loads. She has been loaded up to the roof-line and a full roof rack when we moved house and has carried out some decent towing with a 19ft tri-axle Ifor Williams plant trailer. All of which she just took in her stride. She has passed her first MOT with the ATBs installed with no problems at all, in fact the tester complimented her on how well she drove. Which is always nice to hear. It is also getting close to her Spring service so it will be a full oils flush and re-grease. She deserves it, the trooper.

So to the observations:

Observations

1) Quick junction pull off: This has been transformed. Previously the old girl would spin one front wheel if you gave the pedal a little poke and especially in the wet or cold. No longer. Mirrors. Signal. Shoot of the line... No wheel spinning. Positive acceleration. So much safer. Still enjoying this part of the ATB life. Such a good feeling not having a tyre break loose.

2) Lift off oversteer: Yikes, that was a surprise, not sure I have read about this one. This happens as you are turning into a corner and lift off a tad. With an open diff you'd understeer and power on out of the corner. But with the ATB in the front the reverse happens. It is not a problem, obviously you just keep your foot planted and hold on Rolling Eyes And the tighter the turn the more obvious the oversteer. Interesting experience the first few times. This has almost completely gone, only very very occasionally is there lift off over-steer and certainly nowhere near as strong as when newly fitted.

3) Firm steering: This has been said before, but the front ATB does add weight to the feel of the steering. It is not horrid by any standard, in fact it has the feeling of positive resistance . The steering is slightly heavier but either I am now used to it and have grown bigger biceps or the effect has lessened a bit

4) Return to centre: Also been said before. I like this additional return to steering centre. It is not scary but as above has a lovely positive feel. Still a lovely positive return to centre, but less strong

5) Fast road: Well obviously within speed limits and the Defenders capability Rolling Eyes The ATBs are superbly invisible at speed, as you'd perhaps expect. But when you do have to plant the accelerator pedal whilst at speed to overtake there is no hesitation and the grip is marvellous. Feels planted. As above, still superb at speed and in all conditions. There are times when I swear I can feel the power being directed to different corners. Interesting feeling, nothing worrisome.

6) Braking: I am not sure how the mechanics of this works, perhaps someone can enlighten me. The old girl appears to be stopping much much better. By that I mean shorter distances, straighter and it is almost impossible to lock up the wheels. It must be the transference of power L and R across the axle. I do wonder if this is going to accelerate brake disc and pad wear in the long run. But it is definitely something I can live with, the braking feels much more positive. The improved braking has continued and the effectiveness was picked up at the MOT, even on 6 year old rubber.

7) Gravel/Cobble tracks: Good lord above what a superb level of grip. Now Miffy has always been excellent on gravel tracks, never had much to complain about. She just bimbled along them every now and again into difflock and out again. But the difference is another level above this. Honestly the old adage of "low, difflock, 3rd - go anywhere" should be re-written for us ATB bods. Super levels of traction. Super confident. But, it extends beyond that because slow cobble descents Still excellent, if anything better now there are a few more 1000 miles on the ATBs, breaking in nicely I would say.

Cool Low and slow: I do like to go low and slow, engine braking down long scrabbly descents. I like the control and technicality of wheel placement. With the ATBs it is another level of control whilst going low and slow. Yes the steering is a tad heavier, but the additional cross axle traction is worth it. Super slow and controlled. Such a great addition. This is an interesting one as the only really low and slow driving I have done recently has been the manoeuvring of the 19ft trailer on both tarmac and gravel/mud tracks. Love trailer driving in low gears and the ATBs behaved in a controlled and predictable fashion. If anything the extra traction in low over muddy terrain is vastly improved and a delight when hauling a trailer. In some situations where pre-ATBs I would engage low and centre diff-lock there is no need anymore and the bonus of the tighter turning circle is a huge bonus on tight lanes and gateways

Well, I hope that is of interest. I do wonder what a third ATB in the LT230 would be like and how it cooked improve the drivetrain any further than the two final drive ATBs already have. Incremental gains perhaps... Might have to build an LT230 next just to see Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter
Post #1030664 5th Apr 2024 3:58pm

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 HT Alaska White
Thanks for the feedback it's great to hear real world uses. After having an ATB in the back of my D2 that was phenomenal with working traction control so have now have one built up by Nigel Xcess 4x4 in the rear of my 110 only done 100 miles so far but even on a non TC fitted 110 does feel alot more positive just not sure if I want a front one or a centre one fitted 110 Td5 Ex Utilities slowly converting into a pop top camper one day

Build thread:https://www.defender2.net/forum/post1024784.html#1024784
Post #1030694 5th Apr 2024 9:46pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
geobloke wrote:
geobloke wrote:

Observations

It has been almost 6 months since fitting both ATBs into Miffys axles and I thought I would go back through the earlier observations, see if anything has changed.

First off though, Miffy has now covered 3-4000 miles since fitting the ATBs and again a real mixture of surfaces, distances and loads. She has been loaded up to the roof-line and a full roof rack when we moved house and has carried out some decent towing with a 19ft tri-axle Ifor Williams plant trailer. All of which she just took in her stride. She has passed her first MOT with the ATBs installed with no problems at all, in fact the tester complimented her on how well she drove. Which is always nice to hear. It is also getting close to her Spring service so it will be a full oils flush and re-grease. She deserves it, the trooper.

So to the observations:

Observations

1) Quick junction pull off: This has been transformed. Previously the old girl would spin one front wheel if you gave the pedal a little poke and especially in the wet or cold. No longer. Mirrors. Signal. Shoot of the line... No wheel spinning. Positive acceleration. So much safer. Still enjoying this part of the ATB life. Such a good feeling not having a tyre break loose.

2) Lift off oversteer: Yikes, that was a surprise, not sure I have read about this one. This happens as you are turning into a corner and lift off a tad. With an open diff you'd understeer and power on out of the corner. But with the ATB in the front the reverse happens. It is not a problem, obviously you just keep your foot planted and hold on Rolling Eyes And the tighter the turn the more obvious the oversteer. Interesting experience the first few times. This has almost completely gone, only very very occasionally is there lift off over-steer and certainly nowhere near as strong as when newly fitted.

3) Firm steering: This has been said before, but the front ATB does add weight to the feel of the steering. It is not horrid by any standard, in fact it has the feeling of positive resistance . The steering is slightly heavier but either I am now used to it and have grown bigger biceps or the effect has lessened a bit

4) Return to centre: Also been said before. I like this additional return to steering centre. It is not scary but as above has a lovely positive feel. Still a lovely positive return to centre, but less strong

5) Fast road: Well obviously within speed limits and the Defenders capability Rolling Eyes The ATBs are superbly invisible at speed, as you'd perhaps expect. But when you do have to plant the accelerator pedal whilst at speed to overtake there is no hesitation and the grip is marvellous. Feels planted. As above, still superb at speed and in all conditions. There are times when I swear I can feel the power being directed to different corners. Interesting feeling, nothing worrisome.

6) Braking: I am not sure how the mechanics of this works, perhaps someone can enlighten me. The old girl appears to be stopping much much better. By that I mean shorter distances, straighter and it is almost impossible to lock up the wheels. It must be the transference of power L and R across the axle. I do wonder if this is going to accelerate brake disc and pad wear in the long run. But it is definitely something I can live with, the braking feels much more positive. The improved braking has continued and the effectiveness was picked up at the MOT, even on 6 year old rubber.

7) Gravel/Cobble tracks: Good lord above what a superb level of grip. Now Miffy has always been excellent on gravel tracks, never had much to complain about. She just bimbled along them every now and again into difflock and out again. But the difference is another level above this. Honestly the old adage of "low, difflock, 3rd - go anywhere" should be re-written for us ATB bods. Super levels of traction. Super confident. But, it extends beyond that because slow cobble descents Still excellent, if anything better now there are a few more 1000 miles on the ATBs, breaking in nicely I would say.

Cool Low and slow: I do like to go low and slow, engine braking down long scrabbly descents. I like the control and technicality of wheel placement. With the ATBs it is another level of control whilst going low and slow. Yes the steering is a tad heavier, but the additional cross axle traction is worth it. Super slow and controlled. Such a great addition. This is an interesting one as the only really low and slow driving I have done recently has been the manoeuvring of the 19ft trailer on both tarmac and gravel/mud tracks. Love trailer driving in low gears and the ATBs behaved in a controlled and predictable fashion. If anything the extra traction in low over muddy terrain is vastly improved and a delight when hauling a trailer. In some situations where pre-ATBs I would engage low and centre diff-lock there is no need anymore and the bonus of the tighter turning circle is a huge bonus on tight lanes and gateways

Well, I hope that is of interest. I do wonder what a third ATB in the LT230 would be like and how it cooked improve the drivetrain any further than the two final drive ATBs already have. Incremental gains perhaps... Might have to build an LT230 next just to see Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter

These observation reflect my experience in my 90, although I fitted them just to remove the standard weak link diffs. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #1030700 6th Apr 2024 6:39am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Gents, I have the option to buy a 2nd hand ATB with 10,000km at half the price of a new one.

Worth it? What could be wrong in there that a visual inspection won't reveal? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #1031168 10th Apr 2024 12:24pm

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 HT Alaska White
As long as there isnt any damage to the splines and it rotates nicely there isnt really much you can check without disassembling it 110 Td5 Ex Utilities slowly converting into a pop top camper one day

Build thread:https://www.defender2.net/forum/post1024784.html#1024784
Post #1031173 10th Apr 2024 2:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
They are pretty robust and provided that they have been lubricated properly there is little to go wrong. They are also astonishingly easy to strip, clean, and inspect, but there is virtually no scope whatsoever for obtaining spare parts for them.

The only problems I have had have been the result of lubrication contamination which resulted in the destruction of the dished preload springs within the diff as well as spline damage to the internal splines in the side gears. Dave Ashcroft was kind enough to send me some replacement springs he happened to have lying around, but at the time made it clear that as a general rule internal spares are not available, you just replace the entire core. I was, as I recall, able to rebuild one good ATB from two damaged ones using the best parts from the pair.

My experience is, as noted above, that the only way to kill one is to be negligent with the lubrication and servicing. If you have the opportunity to inspect the diff before committing then I suggest that if is looks clean and oily, and the internal splines in the side gears look clean, oily and in good condition, then the diff will be fine. If the splines are worn and/or are covered in a sort of pasty gungy residue, walk away.
Post #1031175 10th Apr 2024 2:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 22 of 23 <123 ... 212223>