↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting 1/2 height dog guard - what I did
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Fitting 1/2 height dog guard - what I did
Finally sorted out fitting the top half of the dog guard. I only wanted the top half as the ability to fit long stuff under when the seats are lowered was important to me.

After a lot of searching I came to the conclusion that there was nothing available, contacted two manufacturers who both promised to sort something out, but after 5 months I guessed that they had other fish to fry which I can understand and sorted it myself. The fly in the ointment was that I had already fitted a full length drawer and so the bottom of a standard LR guard wouldn't fit, and at £250 ish I didn't want to chop one up and get it wrong.

I was lucky enough to get a new take off from a dealer at £135 delivered so thought I'd give that a go.

An hour or so of head scratching and decided the bottom half wouldn't go in even if I chopped it up as the guard was wider than the space to fit it, probably due to the drawer getting in the way as well, so stumped for a bit I left it overnight and then decided to do it backwards.

First I fitted the top half, hanging from the top brackets. These were a lot easier to fit than it looked, I thought that the whole trim panel would have to come out, but was wrong, just the grab handles off and front part of trim pulled away allowed a socket in to fix the brackets.

\

Click image to enlarge

So that left the guard hanging from the top brackets. I'd seen a post by another member who made quite nice looking bracket to attach the bottom of the guard using existing (standard fixings) but the words "I fabricated some brackets" had scared me off as my metal working skills and equipment are limited to say the least.

So I set to searching the garage for a suitable bracket or metalwork and found a bit of metal (from a long thrown away wall shelf) which was exactly the same width as the fixings on the dog guard, so well happy, I chopped it up with an angle grind, scored and bent a 'foot' at the bottom, drilled some holes, painted them and hey presto - custom made brackets I made myself.

Conveniently the fixings were right in line with the edge of the metal plate on top of the drawer, so a few more holes and some allen bolts from an old scope, complete with rubber spacer and the brackets were installed

Click image to enlarge

All screwed up together with the supplied LR knob/screws and happy as larry. Guard fits nice and tight to the seat backs, no rattles and dog now firmly in the back!. I thought it would flex a bit but seems not as the bracket is thick metal. I don't suppose that it would be quite a strong as the standard fitment in terms of retaining a heavy sliding load, but I won't be loading it like that and the seat backs will retain quite a bit I think. Rolls of fabric (and skis etc) can now be fed under the guard with the seats down so a good result.

Its a shame this 1/2 guard design isn't available from anyone, but maybe it will be some day.

Just need to decide what to do with the bottom half (probably go in the loft with all the other stuff). Also going to make up a fabric panel to fit the bottom 1/2 (to keep those pesky dog hairs off the seat backs) and we are finished).

So a straight forward solution to what was looking like a tricky/expensive problem - saved myself £100+ into the bargain Thumbs Up

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #145099 15th May 2012 1:31pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Neat solution Thumbs Up

BTW After a number of dogs took a shine to nibbling the plastic heads I replaced the plastic thumbwheel on mine with ordinary bolts. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #145101 15th May 2012 1:47pm
d j hutton

Miserableolgit wrote:
Neat solution Thumbs Up

BTW After a number of dogs took a shine to nibbling the plastic heads I replaced the plastic thumbwheel on mine with ordinary bolts.

Good point about the nibbling, but we'll be ok for a while as she hasn't finished the rubber matting yet Mr. Green

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #145104 15th May 2012 2:03pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Good find and great job Thumbs Up I was recently thinking of getting a guard to stop loaded stuff flying into the front. I also need the length under the seats BUT wonder if one could be adapted to also flip up when longer loads like a tent are stored over the seats. Looking at your pictures the guard looks too wide where it fits into the recess to flip up... Sad
Post #145128 15th May 2012 6:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I see a theme developing here Laughing

My project 90 has the bottom part of a genuine LR dog guard fitted and the fixings in place for the top but no top section. I have tried to find just the top part but no luck so far.

Good mod there DJ Thumbs Up

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #145132 15th May 2012 6:13pm
d j hutton

Zagato wrote:
Good find and great job Thumbs Up I was recently thinking of getting a guard to stop loaded stuff flying into the front. I also need the length under the seats BUT wonder if one could be adapted to also flip up when longer loads like a tent are stored over the seats. Looking at your pictures the guard looks too wide where it fits into the recess to flip up... Sad

I wondered that as well, I think it could be adapted to flip up (with the right hinge) to allow something to go over the seats, but your'e right it's too wide to flip up 90 degrees, but far enough to allow something like an oztent to fit over the seats (based on my memory of my buddies oztent bag.) Not much will fit under if the seatbacks are just lowered as the guard is too deep.

It would be easy enough to unscrew the four thumbwheels though and remove completely if required (should have fitted the brackets with a thumbwheel as well in retrospect - duh)

I have been 'told' though that we can't put a big tent inside so we must get a roof rack or bars Thumbs Up 'that one looks nice' apparently, which looks like a Patriot ali one (and we'll need a ladder as well it seems!)

Sounds like some retail therapy coming up! (just to keep Mrs H happy like)

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #145139 15th May 2012 6:28pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
mmm think I need to put a guard at the top of my want list..Is it heavy?

Have fun looking at tents Thumbs Up
Post #145141 15th May 2012 6:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d j hutton

bob neville wrote:
I see a theme developing here Laughing

My project 90 has the bottom part of a genuine LR dog guard fitted and the fixings in place for the top but no top section. I have tried to find just the top part but no luck so far.

Good mod there DJ Thumbs Up

Bob

Cheers - anyone else want to put themselves in Bob's situation? I can offer a complete bottom section with all brackets complete but no top section either Rolling with laughter

Seriously though it's there if anyone wants to buy it (no top brackets though) although having said that the fixing holes are quite near the grab handle screws (on my 110 at least) so an angle bracket would probably do for a light weight fixing.

Come on forum sponsors - get a grip and get this made up (top section only) as I'm sure I can't be the only one that wants to fit a guard with full length drawer system fitted as well (heavy hint there ladies Mr. Green )

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #145144 15th May 2012 6:35pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Post #145145 15th May 2012 6:37pm
d j hutton

Zagato wrote:
mmm think I need to put a guard at the top of my want list..Is it heavy?

Have fun looking at tents Thumbs Up

No not heavy (even I could manage it)

Liked the single pole bell tent you linked to a while ago - the made in the UK one (which I like) it reminded me of good old days in the scouts, probably a mare to keep the wet out but cool nonetheless.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #145146 15th May 2012 6:39pm
bob neville

Must be a market for the top part, Matford LR in Exeter have two bottom sections for sale on Eblag.

Where do all the top sections vanish to ?

Post #145147 15th May 2012 6:41pm
bob neville

Zagato wrote:
May be a possibility http://www.customdogguards.co.uk/products.php?cat=8

Emailed them to see if they could supply the top section only.

Still waiting for a reply two weeks later. Why bother with an email account if you can't be bothered to read it and reply Thud

Post #145149 15th May 2012 6:45pm
d j hutton

Zagato wrote:
May be a possibility http://www.customdogguards.co.uk/products.php?cat=8

Don't bother unless it's pre 2007 - been there, after all its a new model isn't it Mr. Green You'd think after 5 years they would come up with something "custom"

I have phoned everyone including site sponsors and came up with jack all, hence going this route. I even paid for one a few months back which never got here sadly (got refund though)

Also had an offer to get one specially made at a company in the midlands which sounded promising but £270 was too much even for my Mrs! plus fuel to go and get measured.

Something will turn up just in time for when the defender production ceases.

All I need now is a lengthwise divider and we are laughing, have found a local guy who's happy to fab that up for me though as its an easy shape apparently.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #145150 15th May 2012 6:45pm
d j hutton

bob neville wrote:
Must be a market for the top part, Matford LR in Exeter have two bottom sections for sale on Eblag.

Where do all the top sections vanish to ?

Bob

Just what I was wondering!

I did try to see if the 'bulkhead only' version from my 90 could be made to fit with some bracketry, but its a different shape and would leave a gap in the window recess big enough for the dog to get through (shame as it was only about £80 IIRC)

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #145151 15th May 2012 6:48pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This company might make some up http://www.splandrovers.com/category_s/103...amp;page=2

Check out there other stock, seems some of it is pretty cheap!
Post #145152 15th May 2012 6:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>