landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Thanks Thumbs Up

What's "special nuts" about Question

Andy
Post #326124 25th Apr 2014 11:21pm
fatman

Greece 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
There are not ordinary steel nuts,you can ask for nuts for trubo(high temperature) applications.
For example, http://midnighttouge.blogspot.gr/2013/05/t...-your.html
Post #326166 26th Apr 2014 8:33am
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
Hi Landy Andy .. Sorry for the late reply

I did as Fatman explained, but was on my own so went a little further to give some more slack. I removed all 4 nuts to loosen off the exhaust, removed the top brace and the bracket from the cat to the engine block from below. This gave me a little more movement. I have silicone hoses so decoupled the lower one to give more movement again. I also removed the air intake pipe and elbow. All easy enough. This gave sufficient movement to pull (with a bit of levering) the turbo off the manifold and replace the gasket.

I wasn't a difficult job .. 700 miles later and still quiet Thumbs Up 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #326172 26th Apr 2014 8:56am
fatman

Carrotbay is right,i forgot to mention that i(the puma i mean Laughing ) don't have a cat,if yours have a cat its retained next to the oil sump so its better to undo all 4 bolts fom turbo to cat (15mm size) to gain some movement.
Apologies if i mislead you Shocked
Post #326190 26th Apr 2014 10:39am
landy andy

Great. Thanks all will have a go tomorrow. Embarassed

Andy
Post #326207 26th Apr 2014 12:34pm
Zouritte

France 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Hi guys,

Had the same problem on my def after fitting a decat, a big whistling sound as soon as the engine gets hot (temp needle in the middle range).

After investigation and Defender2 helpful posts have been able to see the problem. the previous owner or LR didn't tighten one of the manifold to turbo nuts at all (few millimetres out). After fitting the decat the wheight of it or just the manipulations around the turbo made the gasket move or split (see picture below) "ergo" the whistling. So idiot as i am i tried to tighten it, but with the time and temperature the bolt got old and fragile so i broke it....I had to remove the whole turbo, replace the nuts, bolts a few gaskets and fitted the Nakatanenga gasket. Now it's all gone, the decat is on and no more whistling.

Click image to enlarge

the original gasket in bad shape

Thanks for your help with the forum..

Cheers

Tim
Post #420750 2nd May 2015 9:28pm
landy andy

Timely resurrection of this post, as I'm doing mine again at the moment.

Bloody crappy Ford quality, hoping the decat will help with this, so not have to repeat again. .

Andy
Post #420814 3rd May 2015 9:36am
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
Hi

After changing the gasket a couple of times (including having to replace a Nak one) I used some 'turbo paste' the last time with the gasket and haven't had a leak since. I'm assuming I have a small warp that this deals with.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/w...eliminator

Worked for me. Thumbs Up 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #420817 3rd May 2015 9:53am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
well...
I finally gave up, removed the turbo and ground both the manifold and turbo faces flat. Since I have had two Nak gaskets and they both deformed outwards along the thinnest edge, I also made a heavy-heavy-duty one out of 3mm copperplate and annealed it. The design is basically the same as the Nak/original but curves outwards by about 10mm along the thinnest edge and 5mm along the others (like a bulging triangle). The gasket also protrudes inside the hole by a couple of mm on the thinnest edge. The colder copper outside the joint helps the copper inside not to distort. It's been okay with a big-ass turbo for a few months now (but I will never hold my breath) Thumbs Up

p.s. and I have fitted a temperature gauge in the turbo and don't drive like a loony any more Wink Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #420869 3rd May 2015 1:11pm
fatman

landy andy wrote:
Timely resurrection of this post, as I'm doing mine again at the moment.

Bloody crappy Ford quality, hoping the decat will help with this, so not have to repeat again. .

Andy

That makes 3 of us doing the same job again Mad this month..
Post #420903 3rd May 2015 4:04pm
fatman

ZeDefender wrote:
well...
I finally gave up, removed the turbo and ground both the manifold and turbo faces flat. Since I have had two Nak gaskets and they both deformed outwards along the thinnest edge, I also made a heavy-heavy-duty one out of 3mm copperplate and annealed it. The design is basically the same as the Nak/original but curves outwards by about 10mm along the thinnest edge and 5mm along the others (like a bulging triangle). The gasket also protrudes inside the hole by a couple of mm on the thinnest edge. The colder copper outside the joint helps the copper inside not to distort. It's been okay with a big-ass turbo for a few months now (but I will never hold my breath) Thumbs Up

p.s. and I have fitted a temperature gauge in the turbo and don't drive like a loony any more Wink

Matt
As i am still waiting for those manifold gaskets to arrive (almost a month Mad ),i am taking my time ..digging the escape tunnel with a spoon...sorry i was meaning hand filling the turbo and manifold faces,no hurry at all,either way in a year i'll be doing the same again Question Big Cry or maybe this time i'll use original parts(gaskets,studs and nuts) in order to have them fail first Whistle
Post #420906 3rd May 2015 4:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234