↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > fitting some puma seats in the rear of the td5 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 11 <123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
thank you warpig Thumbs Up would be good if you are going to the landy shows cause youll see it in the flesh then Thumbs Up
Post #117685 22nd Jan 2012 11:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Legion

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Killer 90
Nice job. Be good to see photos of the process.
I have arrived at the stage of putting in the conversion kit in my 90 Defender TD5 1999 model bought from Pete...very nice guy.
I have the Puma seats but I'm just concerned about the security of them. A number of people have said there is a strengthening system in the Puma Defenders that is not in the older models...how to get round this???
In addition the securing of the seat belts...I'd like to use the proper belts if possible...if you go this far it would seem a shame not to do it properly. How are these secured to the back quarter and also to the tub?
The finished photos from Pete look very nice and I hope I can get my 90 to the same condition.
Legion John
Post #118491 25th Jan 2012 9:00pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

yer i popped round to pete's had a look at his 90 his done it well and yer the strengthening bar is connected to the crossmember and goes to the top of the arch the seatbelt bolts to this a way round it if you really are struggling to get the bar is to just put a reinforced plate and bolt the belt to that under the arch its a mot pass so happy days as they check the condition of the belts and age and its still safe and strong enough Wink the thing is you then need to buy all the side trim etc which from lr is about £300 a side Big Cry Ill keep you and everyone else up to date on the progress so keep eyes peeled Shocked i am waiting on bits to be delivered so far the soundproofing has arrived along with carpet, front xs puma seats have been fitted and the rear seats are awaiting fitment once carpeted Thumbs Up
Post #118501 25th Jan 2012 9:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Killer90
Site Sponsor

seat belt wise i think i am going to fit in a lap belt saves alot of money and the new trim sticks out a fair bit more and will not work with my speaker boxes i am fitting in the back so a reinforced plate is going to get made up and welded on under the arches Thumbs Up
Post #118503 25th Jan 2012 9:30pm
Legion

Exmoor trim do the 4 point seat belts at a reasonable price
http://www.exmoortrimshop.com/index.php?pa...p;Itemid=3
They also do the upper fixing points for the belts John
Post #118512 25th Jan 2012 10:17pm
Legion

Yes I have been after the trim...comes up every now and again on flea bay.
LaSalle Trim do after market interiors for the Defender John
Post #118513 25th Jan 2012 10:20pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

cheers legion i havnt really seen them and didnt think i do have the genuine belts for the puma forward facing seats but cant see them working with my original trim Big Cry and i prefer the mud uk trim personally as it looks a bit more original i wonder what price difference is Thumbs Up
Post #118522 25th Jan 2012 10:36pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Killer90 wrote:
seat belt wise i think i am going to fit in a lap belt saves alot of money and the new trim sticks out a fair bit more and will not work with my speaker boxes i am fitting in the back so a reinforced plate is going to get made up and welded on under the arches Thumbs Up

Hi, sorry to be a party pooper, but I think you will find that its illegal to fit lap belts to forward facing seats; also its not very safe either (nasty internal injuries etc. in the event of an accident).

Having said that I have a factory fit lap belt on the middle front seat of my truck - go figure!! Come to think of it airplanes only have lap belts, but then you are probably f Censored ed if one of those crashes!
Post #118525 25th Jan 2012 10:38pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter and buses and also some vans with 3 seats Rolling Eyes ill have to try and find out for definite i cant see the harm init i dont think no one knows for sure the police certainly dont i asked them about belts for side facing they hadnt a clue lol turns out you dont need them in certain age vehcles whats the difference its ridiculous
Post #118527 25th Jan 2012 10:43pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

also 110 middle row lap belt Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post #118529 25th Jan 2012 10:43pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Sorry may have jumped the gun there - does not seem any specific requirements other than for children and that belts must be worn "where fitted"?

The best I can find is some posts related to motor homes where side, rear or forward facing seats don't have to have belts if they were built before 2007. Not sure if a Defender qualifies as a motor home.

Also I wonder if the law changed in 2007 - when Land Rover started fitting 3 point belts to all seats and stopped installing the front middle seat?
Post #118534 25th Jan 2012 10:53pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

yer they dont make it easy mate, my saying is its illegal when you get pulled Laughing there are so many laws saying yes and no you dont know what to belive Rolling Eyes the best thnig ive heard so far is its a grey zone thats for them bush cables people fit to landys all well being a grey zone until you have an accident then they change it to illegeal Evil or Very Mad
Post #118571 26th Jan 2012 12:10am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Whatever the legal position I'd fit the proper three point belts if I was you - much safer than lap belts. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #118616 26th Jan 2012 10:33am
Goldstar

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Seat/ Seat Belt Reinforcing Tie Bar
Legion,
I agree with the comments that the safest (and VCA approved) approach to installing face-forward rear seats is with 3 point belts - especially where children are concerned.
Although I haven't done this mod on a Td5, I have installed seats and belts into a Puma. With a bit of searching microcat came up with all the bits I needed and most were reasonably priced. The rear quarter seat belt bracket (holds the inertia reel) is similar (but not the same) to the one used for the front. Unless the rear tub changed substantially from Td5 to Puma it should bolt in.
As for the tie bar from chassis to under wheel arch, the most expensive parts were the spacers that locate inside the rear crossmember to prevent it deforming when doing up the Torx bolts.
If you want some pics of the tie bar PM me.
Post #118621 26th Jan 2012 10:52am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
Gil9713 was selling the trim from a 110 seat conversion - but i don't know if that is compatible with a 90 conversion.

looks a smart job, Killer. Keep posting the pictures Thumbs Up
Post #118636 26th Jan 2012 12:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 11 <123 ... 91011>