↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 33 of 60 <123 ... 323334 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
donmacn wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
Yet Land-Rover says there is no problem.

I have an ATB front, rear and middle, so not really asking for myself, and it means I’ve probably not been paying attention. What’s the problem and what year did it start?

Geobloke - I’m fairly sure I have a front 110 diff - either the original off my car removed during an axle swap ca. 2010 or so, or the Td5 diff that was in the axle. If you were happy to pay postage you’d be welcome to it short or long term. Might tide you over?

I often think I should sell these but I don’t think they’re worth a great deal.

Hi Don. That is amazingly generous of you. Thank you. But... I am reluctant to fit a 2 pin diff back in to Miffy. I think the time has come for her to have a stronger upgraded diff. The irritating thing is that I know I have the abilities to build up the current diff with an ATB centre but without a workshop, vice, press etc it would be a challenging thing to do Rolling Eyes

Such is life... Rolling with laughter So the choice as I see it are between a 4 pin, an ATB or a locker. None of which are cheap, but all of which are significantly stronger than the 2 pin diff.

blackwolf wrote:
The problem started in 2007 and is simply that the Puma engine is too torquey, probably in combination with an excess of torsional vibration, for the traditional two-gear differential especially on the heavier variants (110 and 130). LR recognised this and fitted the four-gear P38 diff at the rear (cheaper than the Salisbury diff) but left the classic feeble two-gear Rover diff at the front. When these started breaking LR designed a four-gear version of the Rover diff and ostensibly started to fit that in the front axle of 110 and 130 vehicles (IIRC from about 2012 onwards), however there is a mass of evidence that many or most Defenders built thereafter still got two gear diffs long after LR said they didn't. LR also stopped supplying the two gear diff as a replacement part for broken front diffs in 110 and 130 vehicles, insisting on the four instead.

What actually happens is that over time the holes for the cross pin in the diff carrier elongate, and eventually the cross pin falls out causing the differential gears to lock up and disintegrate. If you are lucky, as I was, all that happens is that it becomes virtually impossible to steer (just as though you had engaged a front diff lock), if you are unlucky, the front axle locks up solid.

Two gear Rover and P38 diffs are not worth much, but are useful if you want to rebuild them with an ATB or air-locker. Four gear diffs, especially the Rover pattern used in the front of (some) LWB Pumas, seem to fetch daft prices. Four-gear P38 diffs are slightly less daft since they were used on some variants of the P38 Range Rover (I think the 4-litre V8 version used them F&R).

That is exactly as I understand it. The additional problems arise when engines are remapped and tweaked, such as a TD5. Such as Miffy. Mechanical dominoes... Add something to one end of the scale and something will happen at the other end.

I think that I have heard that some of the the rear P38 axles of 110s and 130s from 2003 were fitted with the 2 pin variant of the P38 differential. Although I have no evidence of that at all.

I think it is time to grab the endoscope and take a look as Miffy has a 2003 P38 rear axle.

The Rover 2 pin diff can also fail when the planetary gears friction weld to the pin leading to either the pin shearing or the loss of gear teeth. Miffy's first 2 pin diff failed due to a sheared pin. I do not know why her second diff has chipped a tooth just yet. That will be something interesting to find out if it would only stop raining Rolling with laughter

I do keep reverting to the thought of what is too much power or more to the point, what is enough power. The reason for thought is that my 1992 Tdi was modified and tweaked and just as rapid as Miffy but never ate a diff. She went everywhere and just kept off going day in day out off road or crunching motorway miles. I do wonder if half the problems vehicles have when off roading are down to too much power and the components of the vehicle working at the limits of their specs. In my mind more power is better but too much is not a good thing, so how much is enough????

Anyway... The time is getting close to when I am going to need to make a decision on this diff... Or do I get both front and rear diffs upgraded Rolling Eyes Whistle
Post #988708 12th Apr 2023 11:11am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, further to the above it seems to me that whilst TDCi front diff failures are common, TD5 front diff failures are not, and bearing in mind that the engines are, or at least can be made, similarly torquey and powerful I personally feel that this is due to the superior rotational smoothness of a five-cylinder engine compared to a four. It may also be influenced by the fact that a TD5 generally needs to be used at higher rpm than the TDCi, which will further smooth the transmission loading.

It is interesting and perhaps regrettable that when LR realised that the standard two-gear Rover pattern diff was inadequate for the rear of the Puma 110 and 130 that it modified the axle case to take the short-nose P38 four-gear diff (which was at the time the only four-gear diff in the parts line-up since the Salisbury had been dropped), rather than developing a four-gear diff for the standard two-gear pinion housing. Once the vehicle was in service it evidently became apparent pretty quickly that the two-gear Rover diff was unsatisfactory in the front of Puma LWB vehicle, so the four-gear Rover diff was (quickly) designed. The result of this was of course that to the end of production these vehicles were left with the P38 short nose rear diff, when if LR had done a proper job to start with they would have had four gear Rover diffs both front and rear, which would be an ideal configuration.

The two-gear front diff is certainly inadequate for a properly used Puma 110 or 130 (and probably even a heavily-laden 90), but the P38 four-gear rear is only barely adequate due to the short nose and resultant pinion loads. I know that transmission legends Ashcroft Transmissions make a Rover-pattern pinion housing which will fit a P38 axle case, but I don't know of anyone who has or will convert a P38-style Puma rear axle case to take a standard Rover pattern long nose diff, which would be that alternative approach and would have the advantage that both front and rear diffs were identical and interchangeable.
Post #988721 12th Apr 2023 1:02pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Quote:
Once the vehicle was in service it evidently became apparent pretty quickly that the two-gear Rover diff was unsatisfactory in the front of Puma LWB vehicle, so the four-gear Rover diff was (quickly) designed

Was the 4-gear Rover diff not already in existence? I thought it was used on V8 vehicles back as far back as the 80s, so it wasn’t brought about specifically to solve the 2-pin Tdci front diff issue but rather dusted off the shelf and stuck in instead.

I would also agree that it’s the torque characteristics of the Tdci that causes the issue rather than outright power, they’re not particularly powerful engines after all compared to others.
Post #988724 12th Apr 2023 1:14pm
blackwolf

I didn't think it was, and I don't really see why the rear axle would have been altered to take the (weaker) P38 diff if the four-gear Rover diff was available, since it would fit straight in to an unmodified axle tube. Furthermore, why would the Salisbury diff have remained in use up to the TD5 era if there was a strong Rover diff available?

I don't know for sure when the four-gear Rover diff was introduced, but I am not personally aware of it being used anywhere prior to its appearance in the front of the Puma LWB vehicles.

In many ways it did seem to take an extraordinarily long time for the four-gear Rover diff to be developed, with ENV and later Salisbury diffs providing the "strong" option in earlier years.

The Stage One V8, which would be the vehicle in which you might expect a four-gear Rover diff to have first appeared, used a Salisbury rear and a Range-Rover (Rover-pattern 2 gear) front diff, with CV joints in the front axle, and a 3.54:1 axle ratio sa opposed to the then normal 4.7:1 as far as I know.
Post #988738 12th Apr 2023 2:44pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
My understanding is that it was fitted to the rear axles of V8 90s. The Salisbury diff is stronger than any Rover pattern one, so they would not have had any need to use it in the 110 or 130.

As for why they didn’t use it again when the Salisbury was discontinued I’ve no idea - presumably it was cheaper to adapt the P38 diffs to the Rover case.

Some info here: https://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/diff_a_z.php

Edit: just checked the parts catalogue and the 4-pinion diff is listed as an option for early vehicles - FTC785
Post #988758 12th Apr 2023 6:23pm
blackwolf

Interesting. It makes sense to fit a long nose diff in a 90 since the fleet angle would be a problem with the P38's low pinion diff, however it makes no sense whatsoever to adapt the rear axle case of the 110 and 130 to take a P38 diff when there was a four-gear Rover diff already available which is stronger than the four-gear P38 and I bet costs no more to manufacture. It seems utterly bonkers to do that, and I wonder what on earth they were thinking.

I can only conclude that the few remaining engineers at Landrover at that time had already been completely subjugated by the fashionista halfwits and stylists who now run the show.

The next question then is whether there is an existing rear axle case which takes a Rover diff and which will fit (without modification) a TD5 or Puma 110 or 130? I don't think there is, but someone may know otherwise.
Post #988762 12th Apr 2023 6:47pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
There is. A 90 or Disco 1 rear axle case will physically fit a 110 if you swap the spring seats over, and with a 4-pinion diff would give you a differential solution that’s stronger than the P38 solution but weaker than the Salisbury - ignoring differences in the strengths of the casings themselves.
Post #988767 12th Apr 2023 7:21pm
blackwolf

A 90 and D1 as I recall both have significantly lower permitted rear axle loads than a 110, which might be a problem. It's an interesting avenue to explore though. Thanks.
Post #988777 12th Apr 2023 8:24pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Interesting discussion.

If I recall correctly there is about a 250-300kg difference in payload capacity between the Discovery 1 and Defender 110. Some of that will be spring capacity but some will be rear axle capacity.

If you were to fit a HD braced Rover style rear axle it would probably bump the capacity up to comparable levels with the Salisbury and P38. Possibly...
Post #988788 12th Apr 2023 8:56pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Salisbury axle on a Puma

Post #988822 13th Apr 2023 10:02am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Front Differential Removal and Inspection
Last Saturday was the first dry day in weeks and the perfect opportunity to strip down Miffys front axle and remove the troubled differential.

The process is pretty straight forward, unbolt, take your time and don't lose any bits in the gravel/grass. I decided on dismantling the hubs, stub axle and calipers in order to remove the CV/half shafts because much of these parts are getting close to a quarter of a million miles old and I wanted to inspect them. It is a good time.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Everything came apart easily enough, it would be lovely wouldn't it to have a 2-post lift and not have to do this hunched over like Quasimodo Rolling with laughter Can but dream.

The half shafts and CVs have almost no play between them, slightly more on the shorter drivers' side but not an alarming amount. The half shaft to differential splines are gorgeous...

Click image to enlarge

The CV to hub flange have seen better days, evidence of fretting and corrosion. But believe it or not much of that dates to before my ownership when the splines were un-lubricated. The actual spline wear is very minor for the amount of work they have done.

Click image to enlarge

The seal running surfaces look good too, there is one that will need a light clean as it has some sturdy gunk on it. Quite impressed with how good it all looks to be honest.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The only thing that I am not so happy about are the heat colouring on the CV housing where the ball bearings run (4 photos up). It is probably 225k miles worth of colouring but it is still a ?????????

Might have to replace the CVs. What do you think?

As for the differential. It looks like this has nothing to do with the infamous 2-pin diff pin as that is free and apparently in good shape. There is however a lot of play in the planetary gears along the pin, more than I would expect and the reason why, I believe, they have worn so badly and begun to fall apart.

https://youtu.be/oVu6b6obWHw You can see it here....

The crown wheel only has a few tiny bits of damage to it

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And here is the damage to the planetary gears

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #989328 18th Apr 2023 9:56am
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...G_2825.JPG
If you talking about the half moon heat marks, then my new cv joints were like this.
I presume to do with the manufacture, or just a local heat treat process?
Post #989402 18th Apr 2023 7:29pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
steveww wrote:
Salisbury axle on a Puma

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the pros and cons of this mod?
Post #989433 19th Apr 2023 5:53am
24heuer

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
deja-vu?
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic84752.html
all looks very familiar

geobloke wrote:
Well I had hoped with many fingers crossed that the chunk of metal in the above post was in fact something leftover from the previous differential explosion... But it is not to be...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That is one of the planet bevel gears and almost all of the metal that came out with the magnetic diff drain plug, shows you they are worth their weight in gold...

I had expected that maybe one of the planet gears circles might have become dislodged or the pin may have broken or become worn, but there is nothing I can see. Circlips are in position and the pins do not appears to have worn the casing. Very odd.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The ring gear looks good though, no obvious pitting or chips out of that.

What it does mean is that a new differential is absolutely needed now. It was worth buying the borescope though as it has allowed confirmation of the suspicion without dismantling anything. Plus it will be of great use in the years to come I have no doubt.

So on to a list of parts, order... get her fixed...
 Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://24heuer.com
Post #989439 19th Apr 2023 7:18am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
v8bob wrote:
https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/userpics/13912/normal_IMG_2825.JPG
If you talking about the half moon heat marks, then my new cv joints were like this.
I presume to do with the manufacture, or just a local heat treat process?

Yes I think you are right about it being caused during manufacturing as all of the CV images I looked at yesterday had the same heat marks, a hardening process perhaps. Thumbs Up
Post #989460 19th Apr 2023 10:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 33 of 60 <123 ... 323334 ... 585960>