↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Mental Health
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Thanks for your responses everyone and for sharing your own stories. I'll admit that I was apprehensive about my original post, but it is something I'd been thinking about for a while, and I am now glad that I went ahead with the idea!

It's a tough subject and yes, a lot of people feel really uncomfortable around it. That's because we've all been conditioned to feel uncomfortable around it ... because no one talks about it! (You can see the problem).

I've recently joined Mind's own online support community forum (peer-to-peer support), which is called Side-by-Side:

https://sidebyside.mind.org.uk

Again, just letting people know that it exists really. A lot of people who are suffering will find reaching out 'virtually' a lot easier than reaching out in the real world, and this could be a good first step for those who are seeking some help but are unsure where to turn, or are just wanting a sense of community or company. There are many people on there who will share similar experiences, and that in itself can be very reassuring.

Thanks again for the responses and sharing your experiences, it all helps. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #983448 23rd Feb 2023 6:33pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Some excellent links and sobering stories - but that’s what we need rather than pretending it’s not happening 👍

I apologise if this subject/thread is making people feel uncomfortable, but I don’t think we can avoid that uncomfortableness to help raise the profile and help people talk.

I still think there must be something we can do as a forum to help spread the word. I just don’t know what…

Keep talking (and listening). 👍
Post #984360 4th Mar 2023 10:23am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
this is hard for me its a first time ever i was raped as a child by a family friend i never told my dad or mam its hold with me for almost fifty years i blame my self for the abuse and that i should have spoken out about it its played on my mind since the first day it happened and still does .
i have had suicidal thoughts and on one occasion attempted to take my own life . thankfully unsuccessful.
work stress plays a large part in my life i have now found myself with serious heart condition and found out depending on test i may need a bypass hopefully not the case . if your wondering why I'm saying this now if your in a situation you can get help dont hold on to it by yourself there is organisations like andys man club that can help you . for me this was the late seventies and you did not talk about it even has a child thank goodness this has changed
Post #985769 16th Mar 2023 3:12pm
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
So sorry to hear that, thank you for being brave and sharing.

That's a significant and very traumatic event, that has obviously had a massive impact on your life.

I had a similar but less traumatic experience that I hadn't told anyone about until recently. I found that unbottling a 30 year secret, took away a lot of it's power and the shame and guilt I felt as well. But I also felt that I had now burdened someone else with my trauma. By sharing we dissipate the feelings and it allows to start the healing process. Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #985780 16th Mar 2023 4:52pm
Screbble

Although the sharing of your experiences is potentially distressing for others, and obviously very sad to read, it will ultimately make it easier for others.

Hopefully it will also help raise the profile of these issues and the support mechanisms that are available.

You are not on your own.

The world can be a terrible place for some at times, but there are also so many good people out there, and lots of support.

Talking about it isn’t the solution but it’s definitely part of it.

I admire those who have shared their stories and I still think there must be something we can do as a forum to raise the profile of mens mental health - just not sure what.

The recent news story about the mile of Minis did get me thinking…
Post #985818 16th Mar 2023 8:14pm
Cragster69

We did the John Muir way as a relay during a weekend for charity, with everyone completing a pre arranged section. There was no physical hand over or passing on to the next person. We covered the whole 134 mile route from Helensburgh to Dunbar in about 30 hours. Some walked, some ran, someone kayaked the bit on the Forth and Clyde Canal.

We could possibly do something similar for your LE to JOG idea? Craig.

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #985825 16th Mar 2023 8:28pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I hope soon that sharing such stories will not require bravery. Sadly it does as too few people have the empathy or understanding to deal appropriately with such things a *lot* of people out there still believe a man cannot be on the receiving end of sexual abuse, especially where the perpetrator was female. This needs to change. We sadly still have a long way to go but every story shared helps break down that barrier. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #985840 16th Mar 2023 9:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Screbble

Hear hear!

Although there’s a long way to go, there is a gradual societal move toward understanding and acceptance of these terrible issues and that no-one is immune.

I also think there’s a long way to go at the basic, less extreme end of the scene - in terms of accepting that everyone’s mental health fluctuates (just the same as their physical health) and that sometimes it’s just okay to be not okay.

The more we talk about it, the less likely it will be overlooked or forgotten 👍

And the more we may be able to help each other.
Post #985879 17th Mar 2023 8:33am
Cragster69

Thought this might be of interest

https://inthenowhow.com/mens-online-group Craig.

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #1010948 12th Oct 2023 9:06am
Screbble

Thumbs Up Thanks for posting and keeping an important thread alive Thumbs Up
Post #1011046 12th Oct 2023 9:36pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Too many men just bury their head, usually in alcohol, and try and 'tough' it out.

Men need to grow a set and talk about how they are feeling and ask for help and support if they need it. There is no weakness in doing that, just strength to go against the idiotic norm and get the help and support they might need. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1011052 12th Oct 2023 10:13pm
Screbble

Well said that man Thumbs Up
Post #1011144 13th Oct 2023 4:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12