↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Slimline sun visors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Piggy501

Scotland 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Arrow Red
Slimline sun visors
Is anybody aware of a product or a modification that results in a slimline sun visor, in effect similar to chopping off the bit below the red line below?

Click image to enlarge

I'm finding that with the sun visor deployed with the low sun, forward visibility is a bit hindered unless I start to sit hunchback.
Post #969525 31st Oct 2022 11:36am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I've not got anything useful to add, but I'm interested to see what comes out of this thread.

Like you, my current choices on a bright (winter sun) day are, 1:blinded, 2: hunchback or 3: seriously reduced visibility.

I'm only 5'11" but my partner is rather shorter than I am - like about 5'3" and she doesn't see the issue. Perhaps I should consider having a handful of vertebrae removed...
Post #969526 31st Oct 2022 11:45am
kenzle8a

I've been faffing about trying to make some tinted transparent ones like these, being a tall chap I find the standard ones a bit long as well.

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/sun_visor_smoke
Post #969527 31st Oct 2022 11:48am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I know that it’s a bit 1980’s but would a tinted window strip across the top of the windscreen help.

Alternatively have you checked eBay to buy a second hand set, cut the outer covering carefully along the bottom and peel it back then cut off the lower piece you don’t want then fold back the outer covering, cut off the excess then fold it under and glue it in place.

And if that works then you will also be qualified to help out at local Bar Mitsva’s…… Whistle

Good luck. Thumbs Up
Post #969532 31st Oct 2022 12:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: Slimline sun visors
Piggy501 wrote:
Is anybody aware of a product or a modification that results in a slimline sun visor, in effect similar to chopping off the bit below the red line below?

Click image to enlarge

I'm finding that with the sun visor deployed with the low sun, forward visibility is a bit hindered unless I start to sit hunchback.

I feel your hunched backed pain Rolling Eyes The only way I find to deploy is not to push up against the screen but to have them angled backwards towards me. This way there is enough space to adjust. Yes it feels like you might hear butt the visor, but it works.

Especially when twinned with a pair of Bloc Titan sunglasses with Photochromic lenses. Excellent for driving during autumn-winter low sun altitudes. Thumbs Up
Post #969533 31st Oct 2022 12:53pm
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've taken two approaches to this in the past, both moderately successful: (1) most obviously, strip off the cover of the visor, carefully cut the visor to the desired size, re-cover. You need to make a good tight job of this, or it somewhat defeats the object. My own efforts fell somewhat short of perfect. (2) find a smaller OEM visor from another vehicle.

I took approach (2) with an Acc16 roof console, so I wasn't worried about a nice fit or match with the Landy roof lining. I seem to remember that it was a late model Alfa Spider visor that worked (readily available online, don't cost the earth) - correct spacing and much smaller. The only problem was that they were a bit cheap and plasticky compared with the LR equivalent, and eventually snapped off near the hinge.
Post #969535 31st Oct 2022 1:34pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Re: Slimline sun visors
geobloke wrote:

The only way I find to deploy is not to push up against the screen but to have them angled backwards towards me. This way there is enough space to adjust. Yes it feels like you might head butt the visor, but it works.

That is the approach I used to use, including the head butting since I had a Hard Top and getting out from angled junctions was not always easy (nor the safest Whistle ). 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #969536 31st Oct 2022 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1