Home > Td5 > Battery for TD5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mustafasoleiman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Indus Silver
Battery for TD5
Hello

My TD5 is punishing me because I bought a Mini Electric for my wife so the Defender is not used every day...

My battery now dies if I do not use my TD5 everyday... It sounds like I need a new battery... Any advice on which to get, and is it difficult to replace?

Many thanks

Alex http://instagram.com/h4vou/
Post #939389 25th Jan 2022 11:58am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
You may be better to just get a trickle charger such as a ctek, I rarely use the defender so have it plugged in all the time to keep the batteries topped up

Even if you put a new battery in, there is probably small drains on the electric (alarms, trackers, etc.) that will still drain a new battery.
Post #939398 25th Jan 2022 1:01pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Varta LFD90
Post #939401 25th Jan 2022 1:07pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
A lof off people will probably not agree with me but I say the bigger the better. (next to the trickle charger what I don't use).

The problem with starting a td5 with a lower charged battery is that if the voltage drops below a certain voltage (8,5v?) the ecu stops working and then there will be no diesel injection.
A bigger battery will keep the voltage up longer as the load % is lower.
And this works double as if the voltage will be higher the amperage will be lower with the same load.

However a good battery should be able to start your td5 even with -20C. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #939570 26th Jan 2022 1:54pm
mustafasoleiman

"A lof off people will probably not agree with me but I say the bigger the better. (next to the trickle charger what I don't use). "

Thank you for this, so which battery do you suggest?

Post #939584 26th Jan 2022 4:19pm
mustafasoleiman

jimbo55 wrote:
You may be better to just get a trickle charger such as a ctek, I rarely use the defender so have it plugged in all the time to keep the batteries topped up

Even if you put a new battery in, there is probably small drains on the electric (alarms, trackers, etc.) that will still drain a new battery.

Thank you... which ctek model would you suggest?

Best

Post #939585 26th Jan 2022 4:20pm
mark1200

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
This is what i have in my truck https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/enduroline/ygd100860/ its the same size as the original battery so fitting it is no problem
Post #939589 26th Jan 2022 4:51pm
Rabbitwabbit

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Stornoway Grey
My Defender was starting to struggle with my 110A/h (935CCA) battery. This is due to many cold starts and short runs. I've just bought a CTEK - MXS-5 from Amazon and that's restored things perfectly. I've also used it on my other vehicles just to recondition and top up their batteries.
Post #939593 26th Jan 2022 5:06pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I've had one of these plugged into the 12S socket for the last few months. It works very well. Total cost <£25 (the charger price has increased by £10 since I bought it). The ability to operate on 12V or 24V is useful to me because the 101 is 24V.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293757451737

I added a de-latched pair of XLR connectors in-line just in case I forget that it's connected and drive away... Whistle

Click image to enlarge
Post #939594 26th Jan 2022 5:21pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
roel wrote:
... The problem with starting a td5 with a lower charged battery is that if the voltage drops below a certain voltage (8,5v?) the ecu stops working and then there will be no diesel injection. ...

I agree with your sentiment that size matters! Re. the cranking voltage, it would be interesting to know at what voltage the ECU does shut down.

Some time back I had a complete alternator failure on my TD5 Disco2, which I accept has a completely different electrical system, but a similar ECU I think. It was fascinating driving home as directly as I could to see the vehicle progressively shutting its electrical system down as the battery voltage dropped, but unfortunately I had no way to monitor the voltage at any time. It was (fortunately) daylight, but the ICE was the first thing to stop working, then things like the indicators stopped, eventually the whole of the IPAC shut down. By the time I got home, the only electrical system still working was the ECU and presumably fuel pump and to my surprise the engine kept running (although I was very careful not to stall it since it would not have restarted). It was remarkably similar to what I would expect to happen with a 200TDi with no engine electrical system.

As a survival strategy it was very impressive.
Post #939597 26th Jan 2022 5:47pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
While you may well be due a new battery, it's probably also worth doing a once over, checking for any loads running when its off and draining the battery overnight.
Post #939617 26th Jan 2022 7:40pm
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
[quote="blackwolf"]
roel wrote:

It was remarkably similar to what I would expect to happen with a 200TDi with no engine electrical system.

My Series 3 had a 19J lump in it when I bought it, and (unbeknown to me at the time) a pretty much non-working alternator. presumably the seller had charged the battery up for my arrival and test drive.
On the 200 mile trip home in daylight everything was fine, but as darkness fell, everything started to go rather dull.
I was definitely in the position that I'd used all the power in the battery up, and the mechanical fuel pump and injection was keeping itself running. Engine was running absolutely fine, but the headlights were so dim, it was hard to work out if they were still 'on'. voltage must have been very low indeed.
It now has an (equally mechanically fueled) 200tdi lump in it, so once started will still run happily without any electrical assistance.
Post #939621 26th Jan 2022 8:06pm
htb2

Scotland 
Apart from the injector pump solenoid, which will give up the ghost once voltage drops.
Post #939623 26th Jan 2022 8:10pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
ibexman wrote:
Varta LFD90

Thumbs Up plus a ctek 5 or 7 charger (as long as you have a garage or drive as it’s mains powered) and you are in a strong position.
Post #939625 26th Jan 2022 8:17pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
blackwolf wrote:
roel wrote:
... The problem with starting a td5 with a lower charged battery is that if the voltage drops below a certain voltage (8,5v?) the ecu stops working and then there will be no diesel injection. ...

I agree with your sentiment that size matters! Re. the cranking voltage, it would be interesting to know at what voltage the ECU does shut down.

Some time back I had a complete alternator failure on my TD5 Disco2, which I accept has a completely different electrical system, but a similar ECU I think. It was fascinating driving home as directly as I could to see the vehicle progressively shutting its electrical system down as the battery voltage dropped, but unfortunately I had no way to monitor the voltage at any time. It was (fortunately) daylight, but the ICE was the first thing to stop working, then things like the indicators stopped, eventually the whole of the IPAC shut down. By the time I got home, the only electrical system still working was the ECU and presumably fuel pump and to my surprise the engine kept running (although I was very careful not to stall it since it would not have restarted). It was remarkably similar to what I would expect to happen with a 200TDi with no engine electrical system.

I also had an dead alternator on an offroad weekend. Every night I put the charger on and I could drive during the day. I even shut it off. When the engine is warm it starts easily.
On the Monday I stopped early to clean it a little and charge it before driving the 200 km home with a trailer with a lighweight on it. I had to use my lights on the second half off the trip and I might have made it but I didn't want to risk it. The first thing that stopped was my rev counter.
We changed the batteries, the one from the lightweight and from the 90 and we continued.

I don't know exactly when the ecu cuts out as my in car old Nanocom 1 cuts out before that.

As asked before I don't really have an recommendation for the battery brand as I currently use an old Land Rover original Discovery 3 V8 battery. The D3 is even more voltage sensitive. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #939931 28th Jan 2022 8:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>