Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.2 Engine Cooling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Tjhappel

United States 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
That is a great question!
Post #888706 2nd Mar 2021 9:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MGRGPGBG

United States 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Tjhappel wrote:
I think you guys sound like the type to appreciate this, I have a 2010 2.4 110 and the first cold season I had it I noticed my hearing going away at stop signs or stop lights. It’s been such a fight for me and a challenge that I totally replaced my viscous fan with an electric fan, I put the acoustic heat blanket on, changed EVERY single thermostat twice and nothing seems to work. To make matters worse I also have the inverse issue of my car overheating very quickly when the outside temps go above 33-35c. I have a much larger intercooler for the heat as I live in the American southwest where it’s always hot but I ski a ton so I installed a larger intercooler and multiple other things to make it run smoother not overheat on every hill....

I had to go way way way deep within Land Rover but I finally got some heavy up guys from Land Rover Australia who just admitted that some of the engines from the 2.4 range just had issues with this and they replaced the entire engine.... true story, seems crazy to me since it’s logical that it has to be a single part of issue that just needs fixing? I’m not a mechanic at all but I’ve spent a lot of time and money om this.

TJ - Did you ever get any more information. I just posted a new thread about this and another member pointed me to this tread and see you have the same issue. I am in New York and have had this issue since installing this engine. Going to try and test the viscous coupling as I believe the thermostat is good. My Allisport up sized radiator and intercooler I am sure ate not helping the issue. I do get plenty of heat out even if I have to idle for a bit waiting etc - but normally I would expect the system to maintain temperature. Reading through the comments it does seem to happen to many people.
Please IF ANYONE finds anything let me know, I’m happy to try anything.
Post #937552 13th Jan 2022 5:02pm
Tjhappel

United States 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hey there! I have had zero luck with it and just kinda don’t care anymore. If it’s cold out (say around freezing) and I get to a stop light I’ll have cold air blowing out within a minute or two. It makes for defrosting basically impossible. I don’t really drive it in extremes anymore for this reason and have actually been thinking about an ls4 engine and tranny swap. My wife cannot drive stick and I’m tired of this engine being so weird. When it runs it’s not a bad engine I just don’t know why it gets so cold and so hot, bad temp regulators.
Post #937555 13th Jan 2022 5:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MGRGPGBG

United States 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Agreed - lol

The German in me installed gauges to see what temps everything is, added oil temp sensors, etc. Found that the numbers just fluctuated crazy while the truck just ran as it always has. Decided to remove the non stock stuff and just go with it. In the same situation with manual trans and my wife, as well as NY traffic, so regret not doing an LS when I built this truck but it is what it is now and will just keep maintaining it and go from there.
Post #937556 13th Jan 2022 5:22pm
ob1conobe

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Alpine White
So update from me - basically I am no further forward ...

No issue over the summer of course but now things are getting colder, in-cabin temp drops down when on idle as detailed earlier in the thread.

My conclusion thus far is that the thermostat must be letting some fluid pass through the radiator at all times regardless of temp. As the vehicle never used to do this from new, I can only assume a disparity of quality between the thermostat that was factory fitted and LR spare parts.

Thought I would post to 'bump' this thread up again to see if anyone else has had any success since the thread was initiated. Hopefully someone may of discovered an alternative thermostat (dare I go as far as to hope for some German quality component!?) ...

Happy autumn / winter driving ...
Post #970243 7th Nov 2022 12:50pm
philippr86

Germany 
Hi ob1conobe,

still no news here. Same as with your Landy, there haven’t been any issues during the warmer time of the year and so we haven’t looked further into it. We might have another look into it when time permits during winter.

Keep you posted.

Regards,
Phil
Post #971680 19th Nov 2022 1:34pm
ob1conobe

Good to hear from you Phil.

Yes, as we are heading into the colder weather, I'm sure the issue will start to raise its head again!

Only suggestion someone made to me (in reference to me doubting the quality of the factory installed thermostat vs. a Land Rover supplied OEM (spare parts one) is that I could consider going to a Ford dealer and trying to obtain the closest matched part. This is working on the logic the engines were fitted in Ford Mondeo's, and no problems reported there.

Playing around with compatibility here, but in spirit, if Land Rover cannot supply a part that works properly, then should we consider other options ...
Post #971795 20th Nov 2022 1:51pm
ob1conobe

Update - popped into my local Ford dealer making enquiries about the Ford Mondeo (of the same era as my LR that used the same engine) and the thermostatic housing is completely different. So that rules out a Ford branded alternative.

So now it's on to researching third-party options off the likes of EuroCarParts etc. I'd be interested to hear from people who have already done as such, and any experiences in relation to this over-cooling issue ...
Post #972449 26th Nov 2022 2:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234