Home > Technical > Problem opening (unlocking?) rear door/tailgate on 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Problem opening (unlocking?) rear door/tailgate on 90
Hello all.
Hope you had a good xmas. Not posted for a while, but check in to read every now and again. I've had an issue that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

Short version: any known issues or suggestions why I couldn't open rear door with external handle - but it opened fine with internal handle?

Longer version: did a pre xmas supermarket shop the other day. The back was already quite full of "stuff". When shutting the door I had to push fairly hard to close last few mm. Once I got home, I couldn't open the rear door. The handle just didn't want to move at all. (For info its a MY16 90 SW XS so factory central locking). Tried locking/unlocking a couple of times with remote, but no difference.

My initial thought was it might just be pressure on the door, so pushed hard against it, but no difference.
Then wondered if the locking lever had been moved. After moving some stuff away from the door, from inside, I could see the lever moving as the key was turned in the lock from outside. But up or down, the feel was the same - no movement and wouldn't open.

So I climbed in the back to start completely emptying it out and tried the internal handle and it opened easy as usual. Tried locking/unlocking a few times and everything seemed back to normal. It's not done it since.

So...just co-incidence the back was well loaded and I had to push the door - or could it have knocked or pushed something during closing?

I have factory cargo barrier, which made it a bit of a pain to get in the back because the lower fasteners are accessible from the rear, so had to use a screwdriver through the mesh to lever the hand-wheels round to get them loose enough remove. So I've held off refitting it for now. Would like to get it put back but would also like to have an idea what the issue might have been.

A quick search didn't offer much. Plenty of people having issues with CL and having to use the key to open doors. But key made no difference to this one.
Thanks.
Post #935572 29th Dec 2021 8:17pm
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Hi apt100,
I occasionally get the same ting on my 2014 110 and I (rightly or wrongly) associate it with a low battery charge resulting in the failure of the central locking. After topping up the battery charge, the problem seems to go away. No doubt someone more knowledgeable will be a long in a minute to explain the real cause Very Happy 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #935668 30th Dec 2021 5:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Thanks for the suggestion Captain Thumbs Up

If it was the CL would it still work with the key?
Also thinking it through, the door should already have been unlocked. As far as I recall, I unlocked with remote, opened door, loaded shopping, shut door, got in, drove home, got out then couldn't open rear door. So theoretically was already unlocked. Hence thinking something was jamming it in some way. But then opened ok from inside.
Post #935675 30th Dec 2021 6:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1