↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Evoque service due
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Evoque service due
Evening all, the Mrs has an Evoque and it is due it’s first service and has just clocked up just over 20,000 miles, I am a little worried about the rear brakes, the discs are heavily scored and the pads need changing soon, now I know brakes are considered consumable but on average a disc should last around 50,000 miles, the car is still under warranty, what do you think the chances are LR will replace them under warranty? I’m not expecting they will but has anyone had similar?
Thanks in advance
Mike Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!
Post #849851 13th Aug 2020 9:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Slim to zero.

Brakes/pads are 'fair wear and tear' items.

There may be a microscopically small chance that they may give some contribution, but do not hold your breath!. Rgds.

Chris
Post #849856 13th Aug 2020 9:24pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
My wife's DS had badly corroded rear discs which JLR changed after nearly three years under warranty. (Apparently a well known problem on the DS). Maybe worthwhile checking on an Evoque forum to see if it's a known problem on the Evoque as it may well share the same rear discs as the DS. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #849896 14th Aug 2020 8:29am
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
My wife's Evoque is on 45k still on the original discs all round. Perhaps the park brake has not been releasing properly. Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #849898 14th Aug 2020 8:51am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Unless she drives everywhere with her foot on the brake, 20000 miles seems a bit poor for brake discs?

Does sound like a brake binding issue.

Whether or not a) the main dealer will admit to a fault b) rectifies the fault under warranty seems to be a bit of a lottery. Let us know how you get on? Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #849901 14th Aug 2020 9:08am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
mostly caused by the fact that no-one actually undertakes any actual "servicing" these days........

LR, VAG, etc. technicians appear to spend more time sending you fancy videos trying to get an 'up sell' than they do actually carrying out any mechanical work!!
Post #849904 14th Aug 2020 9:30am
Rashers

Last main dealer service I had, I was told my pads were dangerously low and wouldn't make another year and the discs should be changed as well.
That was 18 months ago and it has been serviced and MOTed by an Indie and when I asked about the brakes was told there was loads of meat left on them.

The Indie didn't email me a video Crying or Very sad

But they did save me a load of money on what seems to have been a blatant sales ploy to get me to replace something which wasn't time expired Rolling Eyes

That's environmentally friendly, isn't it? I'm sure they are not unique.
Post #849907 14th Aug 2020 9:57am
Tim in Scotland

The other problem with a lot of indies is they can not access the online service records at JLR to keep your service records up to date even if they are using all JLR approved parts. My 90 is too old to be covered by any electronic record keeping but I now have 2 huge folders full of repair and service receipts for when the day comes and it get sold. Unfortunately a lot of those records are on NO Carbonpaper Required paper and are the 2nd copy so are fading away to blank sheets so I also have my own electronic record back up now of scanned NCR sheets. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #849910 14th Aug 2020 10:15am
Rashers

The Garage I use does, Tim.

Lot's of the independents are registered. I can understand smaller one's not wanting the hassle but for me it would be like using a garage that didn't invest in its equipment and especially diagnostic equipment not using a Garage that can record my servicing.

I wouldn't have considered using them if they couldn't carry on with registering the servicing with LR. I have been on-line and checked and the service is there.
Post #849917 14th Aug 2020 11:20am
Rashers

Strange you should mention the receipts fading away in daylight. I keep all mine in a dark file box for that reason (and not just car receipts!!). I have lost several in the past to daylight and luckily never needed to claim for anything but you could imagine the heartache with the lack of evidence only a slightly orange piece of paper with nothing on it Rolling with laughter
Post #849918 14th Aug 2020 11:23am
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
They sometimes can be brought back with heat seen it done before when a barcode was unreadable a lighter was used at sufficent distance and it re appeared then was scanned and job done Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #849993 14th Aug 2020 7:31pm
Rashers

But not too close Rolling with laughter
Post #850005 14th Aug 2020 8:26pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I think I'd be more worried about doing over 20,000 miles without an oil change.
Post #850045 15th Aug 2020 6:29am
Tim in Scotland

Why are you worried? JLR is one of the last companies to stretch servicing out to 2 years/ 24000 miles. More likely it will suffer oil dilution if it has a DPF and require the reset of the Service Now warning light long before 20,000 miles.
The new Defender is the first JLR product I’ve owned that will go 20000 miles before servicing/oil change is due. My Mini only did 8000 miles in two years and it’s first service. With my New Defender I’ll be doing an oil change at 12 months if I start doing a heap of miles more than the Mini did, so long as you use JLR filters and the recommended synthetic oil you won’t invalidate any warranty doing an oil change earlier. If I wasn’t intending to keep the car passed warranty expiry I wouldn’t bother doing the out of schedule oil change, why should I look after those buying the car further down the line - I’m sure 99% of owners won’t bother to do out of schedule oil changes. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #850057 15th Aug 2020 8:10am
J77

Scotland 
There was a technical bulletin for premature brake wear on the DS and Evoque I don’t have copy but my dealer let it slip as my Velar went in last year as I was concerned about the wear on the brakes. They checked them at the first service, said still had plenty life but don’t look pretty, I’m expecting them to bring it up come MOT time in January. The brake discs I think are made from chocolate buttons, and it’s not quality Cadbury stuff either. I’ll definitely be going for a warranty claim.

2 year service intervals don’t bother me, if something goes wrong then it’s up to LR to fix it. Having said that though I’m considering an unscheduled service make sure everything is fine for it’s MOT as I won’t be extending the warranty as my new Defender should arrive in March.

I don’t have full access to topix but this is hidden in the Evoque section

Click image to enlarge

EDIT - this I believe is a technical bulletin number for DS and Evoque, LTB00990V2. Worth a try!

Click image to enlarge
Post #850147 15th Aug 2020 3:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1