↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > highway code
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
highway code
has the rules on the highway code changed ? we took our dog to the coast yesterday went to the middle lane to let someone in who promptly put is foot down and undertook us almost hitting another car that had passed us . and indication of intentions must have been removed too has no one seems to bother anymore . ok rant over
Post #843240 12th Jul 2020 9:00am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Unfortunately the ability to drive or have common sense does seem to elude the vast majority of people on the road today.

Guernsey has a large amount of small lanes which you will at some point have to reverse to a passing point, the rules are the smallest vehicle is to reverse unless of course it’s a few feet for the larger vehicle, now I’ve had to reverse 50/60 yards around corners with a trailer because a 306 couldn’t reverse back more than 6ft without burying themselves in a hedge, only to get evils off the driver as my vehicle is “too big” for our roads, they got even more upset when I said it’s still narrower than yours Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #843244 12th Jul 2020 9:21am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No, just the rules of society, which have changed so that previously unacceptable offensive behaviours have become normal.
Post #843246 12th Jul 2020 9:27am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Unfortunately an intelligence test is not part of the driving examination.
Post #843253 12th Jul 2020 9:52am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Applies (or not) even to the Police.........

Local main trunk road was converted to 3x lanes a few years back but everyone simpy uses the middle lane causing more congestion than when there was just two??? 50mph reduced speed limit doesn't seem to help
Often just sit in the inside lane and cruise at limit past most of the lemons / got the daggers off a Black Insignia on Wednesday who had sat in the middle lane for approx 1mile by the point I shuffled alongside only for me to laugh at the fact it was a Police driver instruction car!! Pity he didn't pull me over as he would have had the error of his ways explained in delightful detail Smile
Post #843259 12th Jul 2020 10:17am
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Driving is like a big video game nowadays.
Drive how you like,wherever you like.
Indicators are entirely optional & don’t get Me started on roundabouts
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #843568 14th Jul 2020 7:21am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
markb110 wrote:
Unfortunately an intelligence test is not part of the driving examination.

I passed my driving test pre-theory, but then took my bike test after the theory bit had been added. Some years ago now, but I seem to remember it was 40 questions on the Highway Code. I completed said questions in about half the allotted time and left. 100%, really easy. But I was amazed to find when I went out to speak to the instructor that you can take the theory and practical tests as often as you want until you pass. I’m not entirely sure it’s right that you can keep going and going and going until you pass. Admirable if it’s your maths GCSE, but at the end you’re not given 2t of metal that can be easily converted, in the wrong hands, into a weapon. Driving licences are treated like a right, rather than a luxury, which is where the problem starts.

After I left the test centre (Humblebrag: am I allow to say I had 100% on both Theory and Practical, which accounts for only 1 in 250,000 people?), I though the test needs changing. First, if you don’t have the natural, innate ability to remember the basic principals of driving after five attempts, that should be it. 20 times to scrape through means you don’t really know what you’re doing and have either learnt by rote or lucked out. But I also think, like almost all other exams, you should be graded. For example A-E. E pass means you cannot drive a car that is more than 1l, you cannot drive with passengers, you cannot drive on motorways and you cannot drive when it’s dark. Clearly, you get more privileges as you pass each grade, until you get to grade A, which allows you full rights (as you have them now). If you pass with a lower grade, you can retake your test after a year’s driving to see if you can get a better grade. (More money to the DVLA), which not only improves your privileges but also gives you better insurance quotes. And on that subject, I think car insurance should be tied to the person, not the car. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #843575 14th Jul 2020 8:18am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Why does a 'Baby on board' sticker in the rear window allow people to drive like complete tw4ts?

Never understood that
Post #843588 14th Jul 2020 8:50am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Perhaps 'baby on board' should be read as 'severely sleep deprived driver' or 'carries cargo that may scream at 85 dBA without notice and cause erratic movements by driver' - I'm glad those days are far in the past......
Post #843632 14th Jul 2020 11:47am
donmacn

blackwolf wrote:
No, just the rules of society, which have changed so that previously unacceptable offensive behaviours have become normal.

It's depressing - but I think this is at the heart of it. Better folk than me could spend ages and write learned papers pondering on the whys and wherefores, but the net effect is that we're all suffering as a result of this general absence of consideration, thoughtfulness and respect for self and others.

Road manners is definitely one - and I absolutely recognise Mash's comments about conduct on single track roads. A real issue up here.

Now we've got the new scourge of 'wild camping' litter to put up with as travel restrictions are lifted. As my wife said this morning there's probably a whole couple of generations whose experience of camping comes from Glastonbury, T in the Park or other 'festivals' where all the camping kit you carried in is just abandoned for someone else to clean up. "OK" - sort of - it it happens in an organised setting, but it doesn't happen up a highland glen, or at a remote beach.....

As Andydef said... rant over.... Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #843639 14th Jul 2020 12:50pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
I think it's also to do with the continuous development of the motor car, the more you isolate, cosset, and remove the actual experience of driving from a driver, the more ignorant, stupid, complacent and aggressive they get.
Placing infotainment systems with large screens on dash has made things worse too in recent years, like another member said, it's like a video game, no common sense or perception of consequences...
Post #843738 14th Jul 2020 7:17pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Biggest issue is you arent taught to drive, meerly how to pass the test. Then let loose on the world!

We had a temp at work once who we had to leave a space allocated for in the car park (in a direct line with the entrance) so poor was their parking. One evening we both left at the same time, and not feeling brave I let them go first, only to find them stopped 20 yards up the street, behind a parked lorry. Shocked

How this person ever gained a license I'll never know 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #843886 15th Jul 2020 3:13pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Many years ago when i was a student one of my contemporaries was such a bad driver we used to block his car in its parking space to keep the roads safer! We even had a duty roster to do it.

He was a strange lad, and actually changed his name by deed poll so that his initials matched the letters on his car's registration number. Shocked
Post #843894 15th Jul 2020 4:01pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
'He was a strange lad, and actually changed his name by deed poll so that his initials matched the letters on his car's registration number.'

Surely that's the kind of strange that we get on this website? Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #843901 15th Jul 2020 4:13pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
blackwolf wrote:
He was a strange lad, and actually changed his name by deed poll so that his initials matched the letters on his car's registration number. Shocked

What did he do when he changed his car? 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #843904 15th Jul 2020 4:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>