↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > SOLUTION?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
felos

Greece 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Epsom Green
SOLUTION?
Hi again,I want to share with you a potential solution to the problem of the 'GROOOING' noise produced when backing off the accelerator at ....relatively high speeds.
First I would like to thank fellow member FONTUIN who gave me this idea,which reduced the noise to 90% but with a drawback.
So to be frank I changed the rear propshaft with a H.D. TD5 one at a significant cost (not covered because it's not a PUMA spare part) using a circular flange (CNC machined) to overcome the 7mm shorter TD5 propshaft.Do bear in mind though that you should use the propshaft of TD5 equiped with salisbury rear diff.
As I told you the car is nearly totaly quiet now but at the cost of some vibration at approx. 1000 rpm.
The thing I cannot explain is that there is also vibration at standstil but only when the ..........handbrake is pulled.Any ideas to that ? NOT A TRANSIT
Post #8165 7th Mar 2009 7:47pm
Fontuin

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zambezi Silver
That is very interesting, so my suspicion that it is the prop shaft seems to be correct.

I found exactly the same vibrations at pull away using the Td5 prop shaft which is why I put up with the grooing(and LR wont honour my waranty when the Td5 shaft is fitted), at idle my vehicle used to vibrate so badly that it became more of a shake at times, like the vehicle was about to take off or something, strange phenomenon.

Why do LR not diagnose, or accept that this is a problem?
Post #8215 9th Mar 2009 8:10am
dgardel

Italy 
Re: SOLUTION?
felos wrote:
Hi again,I want to share with you a potential solution to the problem of the 'GROOOING' noise produced when backing off the accelerator at ....relatively high speeds.
First I would like to thank fellow member FONTUIN who gave me this idea,which reduced the noise to 90% but with a drawback.
So to be frank I changed the rear propshaft with a H.D. TD5 one at a significant cost (not covered because it's not a PUMA spare part) using a circular flange (CNC machined) to overcome the 7mm shorter TD5 propshaft.Do bear in mind though that you should use the propshaft of TD5 equiped with salisbury rear diff.
As I told you the car is nearly totaly quiet now but at the cost of some vibration at approx. 1000 rpm.
The thing I cannot explain is that there is also vibration at standstil but only when the ..........handbrake is pulled.Any ideas to that ?

try this:
- remove the screws from the diff.
- rotate the rear shafts (front and rear) 90° (clockwise)
- test the car
- if the vibration is increased try to rotate -180° and test again

let me know.....

Daniele
Post #8219 9th Mar 2009 9:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
felos

Greece 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Epsom Green
Sorry but I dont understand,remove the screws attaching the rear propshaft to the diff and rotate the halfshafts?

Thanks George. NOT A TRANSIT
Post #8241 9th Mar 2009 5:30pm
dgardel

Italy 
felos wrote:
Sorry but I dont understand,remove the screws attaching the rear propshaft to the diff and rotate the halfshafts?

Thanks George.

you rotate the complete rear shaft (from the central diff to the cardan closer to the rear diff).

put the tranfert box in neutral.
Post #8259 9th Mar 2009 11:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1