↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Interesting insurance experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Siwynne

England 
Interesting insurance experience
Last week I asked my mum n dad who are both in their late seventies to drop my daughter off at school. My wife normally takes her as she attends the school she works at. Long story short they had a bump on the way. A guy pulled out and rubbed his plastic bumper down the side of my dads top of the range 2009 low milage well cared for Toyota avensis. On having it assessed it needed two doors a wing and a paint. £5800 ouch. We will not be repairing that sir. I said just get paid out and have it back off them. I found two doors and a wing online In the correct colour and went and collected them yesterday. Stripped and refitted window mechs locks and door cards this mornIng and fitted up after dinner. For £230 plus a little effort it’s as good as it was before. However they will only pay out £2300 so they recon it’s worth £3500 damaged.
My gripe is not the money it’s how throw away society is. That car would have been scrap but for my not so difficult efforts.
Post #815419 16th Feb 2020 3:12pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
It's crazy, I had similar with my old Discovery, it was superb condition but was damaged in a non fault of mine accident, bumper/wing couple of lights and they wanted to write it off! I bought it back in the end and had it repaired by a independent for a very reasonable cost, however it was cat d after that.
It just saves the insurance companies hassle, it's easier to write older vehicles off, but yes, throw away society is well and truly alive and kicking despite them ramming eco friendly this and that down our throats constantly Confused
Post #815430 16th Feb 2020 4:11pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Its fine, just keep saying the tulips in the garden and it will all be rosy........
Post #815495 16th Feb 2020 7:34pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Mike c wrote:
It's crazy, I had similar with my old Discovery, it was superb condition but was damaged in a non fault of mine accident, bumper/wing couple of lights and they wanted to write it off! I bought it back in the end and had it repaired by a independent for a very reasonable cost, however it was cat d after that.
It just saves the insurance companies hassle, it's easier to write older vehicles off, but yes, throw away society is well and truly alive and kicking despite them ramming eco friendly this and that down our throats constantly Confused

Your not that chap Brendan at stock 4x4 was telling me about? He did one recently something about it being valued at a couple hundred pounds?

I had a similar issue where I crashed (possibly at fault) and required new wings bumper and bonnet. The insurance company tried to write me off, but Brendan got me a GRP bonnet and all of a sudden it was economically viable repair. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #815571 17th Feb 2020 8:54am
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
No that was not me osloblue. I did quite well out of my situation in the end, they gave me a very good price to have it written off, more than I would got selling it privately I then bought it back and had it repaired very well for much less. There was no structural damage at all.

Yes they will always take the write it off option on older vehicles these days, like I said it makes it easier for them and most people probably dont care because it's just a car to them.
Post #815572 17th Feb 2020 9:10am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I wonder if this is also part of a clandestine policy to get older cars off the road.
Post #815574 17th Feb 2020 9:57am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
It's silly that they're rather write the vehicle off, but them paying for the repair makes no sense. Perhaps just recompense for loss of value would be better? The car was worth (say) £5000 before the accident. £4000 after. Rather than spending £2000+ on a repair, just give £1000 for the loss in value. Owner can then decide if it's worth paying for the repair.
Post #815578 17th Feb 2020 10:07am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
blackwolf wrote:
I wonder if this is also part of a clandestine policy to get older cars off the road.

Kind of but its more to get damaged cars of the road and prevent being "upside down" on a car.

If i Have a car worth £10k and has £5k worth of damage.

The resale value of the car as damaged isn't worth £5K, it would be less than that because there's transport and the hassle of repairing it.

The Resale value of the car when repaired wouldn't be £15k it would be no more than £10k, but typically less as there is diminished value of a car in that a car that was involved in an accident with replacement parts would be worth a lot less than a car of similar mileage and original parts.

Thus when the insurance company values it once back on the road it may be worth say £8k, but the car has had £5k worth of work on it and has a net loss of £2k value.

If the car is damaged again then it can become an even grater net loss...

Some insurers for the super car industry will trypically pay out but will decline to insure the car in the future. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #815583 17th Feb 2020 10:40am
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Should of dug your heels in ........

Happened to my neighbour last year, they wanted to write her Peugeot off as 'uneconomical to repair' after someone drove into the side of her parked car.

Some interesting info was gleamed in the ongoing settlement saga ...........

Whilst insurance companies would rather write the vehicle off instead of costly repairs, They can't actually do so unless you agree. The key here is the vehicle is YOUR property, and they can't take any action unless you give them permission to do so [by accepting/agreeing with their proposal]

If you stick to your guns and refuse any settlements offered, insisting on repair, or cost of repairs so you can have the work carried out yourself, then after time they have no real option other than to comply.

Don't get me wrong, they wont 'roll over' after a few attempts/weeks [took my neighbour 9 months to finally get her way] and they'll try absolutely everything to coerce you into their preferred outcome ..... but legally it's your vehicle, their hands are tied without your permission/agreement on any disposal. Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #815586 17th Feb 2020 10:48am
Procta

United Kingdom 
I wouldn't have bothered going through the insurance, with anything 10 years old and over, They would just write it off, for the sake of fixing it your self. A bodyshop would only get £50 quid or something like that to write a car off, they would rather get the insurance to pay and fix it. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #815622 17th Feb 2020 2:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1