↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Where to actually wash it?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That Sealey device reminds me of the plant spray you can get as an official accessory with the new Defender, except the Sealey one is better and probably cheaper.

Before now I have used the visit-a-deep-ford technique of many occasions, and also parked up near a ford and used a bucket. I am wary now since I have no doubt you can and would be prosecuted for polluting a waterway at the slightest opportunity. I don't think the legal right to 'pass and repass' along a public RoW encompasses driving back and forth multiple times to shift the muck from the vehicle back to the environment, sadly!

Usually now if the Defender is seriously dirty I'll spend a couple of hours cleaning it on my (tarmac) drive, then another couple of hours cleaning the drive.
Post #814878 13th Feb 2020 9:58am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Doc P wrote:
Laughing Tell the farmers round here that!

If it's a nuisance, report it.

"A FARMER has been charged with manslaughter for allegedly leaving mud on a country road, causing a fatal accident.

David Winter, 69, had been harvesting sugar beet when the mud was allegedly scattered on the B117 at Walpole, near Halesworth, Suffolk. Jennifer Townsley, 59, a retired midwife, died in December from head injuries she received when her Midas kit car crashed into an oncoming Land Rover.
Winter and his wife live in Red House Farm, a period farmhouse, near the scene of the crash, which happened in November. Ian Mayers, his solicitor, said it was too early to say how his client would plead.
He said: "We have not seen all the prosecution evidence and no final decision about a plea can be made until we get it. There is a Road Traffic Act summary offence that prohibits mud being left on a road but that is dealt with by way of a financial penalty in a magistrates' court.
"I have dealt with a number of such cases in Norfolk because it is an agricultural area. But I have never heard of any case of manslaughter arising from this sort of allegation. Mr Winter cannot say anything at the moment."
Yesterday, Winter was remanded on bail for a week after appearing before Lowestoft magistrates."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/13...harge.html

"A company has been fined after being found guilty of dumping mud on a road which later caused a road traffic collision.

Shortly after 8am on October 16th 2013, a motorcyclist lost control of his bike after hitting mud which had been left along the A420 between Old Vicarage Road and Gablecross Police Station, Swindon.

He sustained minor injuries which required hospital treatment.

Police officers deemed the road so dangerous that it was immediately closed and the farmer responsible was located.

Swindon Borough Council and the farmer were then tasked with clearing the road. This led to the road being closed from 8.40am until 11.16am causing substantial traffic disruption.

Joseph Enterprises was later summonsed to court for depositing mud on a highway without lawful authority or excuse in consequence of which a user of the highway was injured or endangered.

Jonathan Joseph, of Lotmead Farm, pleaded not guilty on behalf of Joseph Enterprises but the company was found guilty during a hearing at North West Wiltshire Magistrates Court on Monday 21st July 2014.

The company was fined £500, made to pay a victim surcharge of £50 and £620 in costs.

PC Sarah Cooper said: "This case should act as a stark warning that we are actively prosecuting farmers who leave roads in such a dangerous condition.

"In this case, the motorcyclist only received minor injuries but it could have been much worse.

"Not only did the actions of the farmer cause the road traffic collision, it also caused a main route into Swindon to be closed during rush hour which affected a large amount of people."

http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/index.php/home/the-news/6111
Post #814881 13th Feb 2020 10:20am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
It is a specific offence to deposit mud on a road just ask any construction company , it can be quiet expensive both in fines and having a wheel washing plant in place.

Going back to the original post I do mine on the drive now as a neighbour (don't you just love nosey neighbour's) reported me for washing an almost clean Range Rover on the road . Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #814883 13th Feb 2020 10:22am
thompjas

United Kingdom 
A wise friend @Swollock of this parish, advised me to purchase the tokens for the Jet wash the day before an off-road event when your in your car. This way you can drive around to the Jet wash after an off road/green lane event and use the service without the need to walk in the shop and to the counter staff....
Post #814909 13th Feb 2020 12:04pm
JOE_130

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Java Black
Blimey wasn't expecting this thread to be this popular lol

Thanks for all the suggestions and good ideas - I too have used the "visit a deep ford en route home" trick fairly regularly. I've been toying with the idea of buying a plastic water tank to strap down in the tub and a small petrol jet wash, but the bill for that is still likely to come to £400 or so. Maybe I should start charging for jet washing at events? Laughing I guess if its acceptable to get the worst off your windows/mud flaps at the end of a green lane it wouldn't hurt to spend a minute jet washing the worst off? Joy's of a pickup Very Happy

Other idea I might try (for driveway cleaning) is a slight improvement on the tarpaulin concept. Create a sort of tray out of some thin marine ply to park the vehicle on with a lip at the back edge (my drive is on a slight angle) so all the mud gets caught in the tray and only what's small enough to be suspended in the water would end up running away down the drive. Can then just shovel the mud out of the tray.

How on earth are farmers meant to keep roads round their fields clean short of having a road sweeper in their inventory? Bet that must become the bane of their life if they have a neighbour who complains regularly when they're working.
Post #814916 13th Feb 2020 12:26pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Hey

When field adjacent to me was harvesting maize, that's exactly what they did. Given they were running two combines and maybe 3 or 4 tractor/trailers combos, I guess the additional cost of a road sweeper is not that big an on cost.

Contractor lifting spuds behind me brought his own trailer with a portaloo and other welfare facilities. I guess there's regulations that apply when you start making a business out of it.

Honda make a nifty little water pump if you have access to water.
Post #814921 13th Feb 2020 1:00pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
As a thought, if you can get Land Rover to supply you with the spray on mud as per the new James Bond film, I guarantee than no one will want to park their shiny next to you in the car park. Whistle
Post #814929 13th Feb 2020 1:27pm
JOE_130

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Java Black
Quote:
As a thought, if you can get Land Rover to supply you with the spray on mud as per the new James Bond film, I guarantee than no one will want to park their shiny next to you in the car park.

Mine's having that effect at the moment. Had strongly considered just clear coating over the top. I quite enjoy all the down the nose looks you get from the people you park next to...
Post #814932 13th Feb 2020 1:34pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
That’s a classic Joe.

Reminds me of the Rat Rod look but with mud and maybe some spray on cow poo smell.

Rolling with laughter
Post #814936 13th Feb 2020 1:41pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
markb110 wrote:
As a thought, if you can get Land Rover to supply you with the spray on mud as per the new James Bond film, I guarantee than no one will want to park their shiny next to you in the car park. Whistle

They had folk on set whose only job was to consistently muddy the cars between shots for continuity.
Post #814997 13th Feb 2020 7:13pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
I’m in the very fortunate position of having a decent commercial jet wash in our company yard. If the 90 needs a wash I just go there. I can then shovel up the mud and howk it over the fence where it blends in nicely with the surrounding landscape. It also means I can blast the under side a couple of times per week in the winter to help remove road salt and grit Thumbs Up
Post #815032 13th Feb 2020 9:55pm
Mini Landie

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
FYI, my local hand car wash place charged me the cost of a full valet when I said I wanted the inside doing as well. Even told them to use the hose inside.

£45 that cost me. Shocked

Click image to enlarge
Post #815039 13th Feb 2020 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12