↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Clutch change 2.2 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Staftly

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Clutch change 2.2 Puma
Forced to change my clutch last week due to a stuffed slave cylinder. Whilst in there I fitted the Ashcroft output shaft kit. Also fitted the Clutchfix unit as I've read good reports. It was a driveway job, and to be honest, not too difficult so long as you take your time. A couple of pointers for anyone considering the same job, especially on the 2.2;

- I removed the seat boxes and floors which made access very easy indeed.
- Google "defender clutch change funrover", there is a good youtube video that takes you through the procedure. Combined with the official Land Rover MY12 Workshop pdf manual, these identify all the necessary steps.
- Dont bother trying to remove the front pipe c/w DPF, you need to lift the engine to do this. The engine mount bolts are almost impossible to remove without dismantling half the pipework. Instead, undo at the turbo, undo the 3 x sensors and the 2 x pressure pipes and gently manoeuvre the front pipe so that it is tucked away towards the nearside front wheel.
- Likewise, the video suggests removing the middle exhaust section, no need, simply push it kerbside and suspend it with bungees.
- I though removing the seat boxes would be more difficult given the fusebox wiring. In reality, it's quite easy, with about 5 plugs to undo and feed the wiring through the grommet holes. Just take plenty of pictures before doing so.
- The only real issue I had was removing the spigot bearing. Ended up destroying it when trying to use a cheap puller. My advice is beg/borrow/buy a quality blind puller, punch the back out of the bearing so that you get a good hold and pray it comes out cleanly. I ended up grinding the outer race in order to weaken it and then used a home made puller. Here is a good article with a good link from dorsetsmith; https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic51595...ng+removal

Hope this helps.
Staftly
Post #780902 9th Jul 2019 11:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1