Home > Maintenance & Modifications > removable winch setup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
itolond

Singapore 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
removable winch setup
Hi Forum,

anyone have any experience with removable winches, I have seen winch on 2-2.5" receivers. I would have thought this limits the winch capacity?

anyone done this or have a perspective
Post #779301 27th Jun 2019 11:00pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have to say that I have wondered about the strngth of 2" receiver-mounted winches myself.

A good 2" receiver system should be designed (like the Defender itself) to tow a 4 tonne gross trailer in safety and without problems, however there are no type-approved 2" receiver systems available and therefore there is absolutely no guarantee that any of those available have been properly tested.

Also, a 4-tonne trailer will never in normal operation put a direct 4-tonne load on the hitch, although there will be shock loads which may (possibly) approach 4 tonnes - they're more likely to be compressive (heavy braking) than tensile though.

So, my unscientific analysis suggests that probably fitting a receiver-mounted winch of around 8000lbf line pull would generally be ok provided that the it is used for a single line pull that is directly in line with the receiver (a double line would similarly probably be OK provided that it is not anchored back to the receiver as well).

It is something I would do? I really don't think so, but I would be interested to hear the experiences of others. It seems me that if yo need a vehicle mounted winch it's worth fitting it properly. If it is for occasional, ad hoc, or emergency use, then I'd stick with a Tirfor.
Post #779325 28th Jun 2019 8:18am
itolond

What about 2 x 2ā€ receivers, that would not be to hard to rig up?
Post #779332 28th Jun 2019 9:24am
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
Id want some diagonal braces both sides to support side loads and possibly a brace underneath too.

This question was asked before and the limit of this idea, which I've pondered myself, is the weight of the winch itself.
If I remember rightly, an appropriate 'fit for purpose' winch for Defendering is +50KG.
Getting that kind of weight into the 2" receiver wouldn't be that easy, especially if you were axle deep in mud and needing to put the winch on for instance. However if you wanted to install it before you intended to go off-roading then it would be ideal.
Post #779333 28th Jun 2019 9:28am
itolond

Yes my thoughts as well, this would be installed for off road outings prior, removed for city and less rugged off road
Post #779334 28th Jun 2019 9:40am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
This is mine, fitted in its own tray, this is held in with two agricultural pins, easy fit and strong. It is Hydraulic and the pipes are tucked away under bonnet. The same fittings on the rear allow for fitment there,
The nature of it allows figment of towing eyes etc. The rear one in this pic has a drop plate, with the added leverage I have added two tie bars to give required strength, can still be removed in two minutes and a bar with NATO hitch fitted in its place, or indeed the winch itself.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #779337 28th Jun 2019 10:01am
donmacn

On a similar vein, I have occasionaly looked at the towball mounted/removable winch. However this would be very specifically for pulling a boat/trailer up a particularly nasty beach, or a slipway with poor angles. Boat and trailer combined are about 1 tonne.

Has anyone used these with positive experiences? Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #779340 28th Jun 2019 10:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A winch for pulling boats , which could be a very small winch, should cause no problems at all.

Pilgrimmick wrote:
This is mine, fitted in its own tray, this is held in with two agricultural pins, easy fit and strong.

That is the only sensible way to implement a removable winch, an excellent setup. Did you make it yourself?
Post #779360 28th Jun 2019 12:02pm
itolond

Pilgrimmick wrote:
This is mine, fitted in its own tray, this is held in with two agricultural pins, easy fit and strong. It is Hydraulic and the pipes are tucked away under bonnet. The same fittings on the rear allow for fitment there,
The nature of it allows figment of towing eyes etc. The rear one in this pic has a drop plate, with the added leverage I have added two tie bars to give required strength, can still be removed in two minutes and a bar with NATO hitch fitted in its place, or indeed the winch itself.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Not familiar with Agri pins, what type/size did you use here?

From what i can gather from the photo essentially you have a recess area which the winch trey/box fits into either side is a 'bracket' where the Agri pins drop into to secure the winch?
what thickness of materials are we talking about here - brackets look 12mm?, they are connected directly to the sub frame?
Post #779367 28th Jun 2019 12:53pm
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
The pins are Cat 2 pins, about an inch diameter. The winch sits in a tray as you say, the front is on the bumper, this uses the four normal bumper mounting bolts and two ties back to where the Jate rings would fit. The rear is mounted on a plate that is bolted through the crossmember using the four NATO hitch bolt holes and two holes either end. There are spreader plates on the inside of the chassis to take any load.
The beauty of the system is that the pins can take abuse and dirt, but still fit no problem. The fittings allow for other attachments to be fitted in minutes.
The pins take a padlock, or overcentre clips depending what you are using them for. The winch is transferable to other vehicles with same fitting.
I even have a rear step that fits on the back for access to roof rack. (Though thinking about it, I have not seen that for a while, will need to find it)
It was made for me to my broad concept, but the final design was done by the fabricator. Nice tapered bumper etc.
Will find some more pics when have time, today I am playing with my td6 powered 130, 240hpšŸ˜‡ 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Post #779380 28th Jun 2019 3:12pm
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
Pics as promised. Bit messy as tucked in bard as rebuilding the 90.
Winch in tray.

Click image to enlarge

The front bumper, with recess.

Click image to enlarge

The rear mount

Click image to enlarge

Alternative use, NATO hitch, I also have a NATO hitch on a slider to fit the drop plate.

Click image to enlarge
 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Post #779385 28th Jun 2019 3:45pm
windy81

bet that weight more than your wallet! is it a 2 person lift that or can you do it on your own ?
Post #779403 28th Jun 2019 5:28pm
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
Easy with the dyneema rope, so light it floats, different story with steel wire rope! 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Post #779408 28th Jun 2019 5:49pm
windy81

noice! This is my ideal setup. Thanks for showing it
Post #779423 28th Jun 2019 7:44pm
itolond

Pilgrimmick wrote:
The pins are Cat 2 pins, about an inch diameter. The winch sits in a tray as you say, the front is on the bumper, this uses the four normal bumper mounting bolts and two ties back to where the Jate rings would fit. The rear is mounted on a plate that is bolted through the crossmember using the four NATO hitch bolt holes and two holes either end. There are spreader plates on the inside of the chassis to take any load.
The beauty of the system is that the pins can take abuse and dirt, but still fit no problem. The fittings allow for other attachments to be fitted in minutes.
The pins take a padlock, or overcentre clips depending what you are using them for. The winch is transferable to other vehicles with same fitting.
I even have a rear step that fits on the back for access to roof rack. (Though thinking about it, I have not seen that for a while, will need to find it)
It was made for me to my broad concept, but the final design was done by the fabricator. Nice tapered bumper etc.
Will find some more pics when have time, today I am playing with my td6 powered 130, 240hpšŸ˜‡

Thanks for the info- appreciated.

so looking at this setup removal and install involves only the tray positioned and the pins ( Cat 2 pins) installed, as the bumper is reinforced (excluding electrical or hydralic connections)? - or have i missed something?
Post #779461 28th Jun 2019 10:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>