↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Brexit.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 12 of 15 <123 ... 1112 131415>
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thanks for proving my earlier points Steve.

In case you missed it earlier:
Quote:
BTW Steve, Will there be a Salisbury Plain meet anytime soon? It would be good to meet up. Put a face to all the emojis and all that.
Post #755893 3rd Feb 2019 12:40pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It's off I'd be concerned what attire you may arrive in. Laughing

You can't reason with the unreasonable so I'm out.
By the way 3/4 of D2 is Leave so you are not achieving much, time and time again people have made claims here sensible ones and you have done nothing more than Trump is this, Trump is that and posting link after link of fake garble.

You don't respect others views as if you did you would respect democracy, democracy is the foundation of our society.

No wonder most people who were trying to discuss sensible things ended up abandoning the thread. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #755905 3rd Feb 2019 1:28pm
nitram17

custom90steve wrote:
Quoting links of the internet from any old source from any old bias editor wherever they maybe be in the world is not facts.
It’s widely known around the wood that the media will put a spin on anything possible.

Look at the snow we’ve had, you’d honestly think we’d had an earthquake with 100’s of deaths occur.
We’ve had snow before, more so last year even than now. And many many times more in the past.

A lot of people’s behaviour around is unusual to say the least too. Like grown men(?) going around with tights on and a hat with stars on etc etc.

Everyone can form their own conclusions to things..

It’s getting rather tiring now. Yawn

Most people need clear unbiased information to make a reasoned decision....i havent seen any yet!Ipersonally wanted a common market with a few rules so we could compete on a level playing field......its become much much more and i dont like it but to think it will be simple to untangle this mess without a huge financial hit is pie in the sky!
Post #755918 3rd Feb 2019 2:02pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
custom90steve wrote:
It's off I'd be concerned what attire you may arrive in. Laughing

You can't reason with the unreasonable so I'm out.
By the way 3/4 of D2 is Leave so you are not achieving much, time and time again people have made claims here sensible ones and you have done nothing more than Trump is this, Trump is that and posting link after link of fake garble.

You don't respect others views as if you did you would respect democracy, democracy is the foundation of our society.

No wonder most people who were trying to discuss sensible things ended up abandoning the thread.

Sorry mate I didn't understand a word of that. Would you mind trying again but this time in English?
Post #755923 3rd Feb 2019 2:55pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
In the interest of trying to keep good relations with the French public, I decided to go out for a beer at a local bar on the Ile de Re on Friday night, where I've been working for the last couple of weeks.

I forgot the rugby was on.

I was wearing one of my Cotton Traders rugby shirts, it was red with a dragon on it - my wife is Welsh, I didn't succeed in my goal of paragraph 1...…..

Rolling with laughter
Post #755926 3rd Feb 2019 3:23pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Well ickle if you think you did not manage to achieve your paragraph 1 I do not think England beating Ireland in Dublin 32-20 has done the backstop negotiations any favours.

Now as for the USA being the country of the free, I wonder what the 'free' people think about a country which detains prisoners without trial and without access to the legal system for over a decade.

Now going back to the Brexit discussion, I for one am all for reasoned, polite discussion. Comments such as leave means leave contribute very little to the discussion. Referring to people who believe in the UK staying in the EU as 'remoaners' is mildly insulting in my opinion.

Now I believe the UK needs a free trade agreement or custom union with the EU. The EU is our closest trading partner and takes 44% of our exports and provide 53% of our imports. 30% of the UK food is imported from the EU

Quote:

Main points:

The EU, taken as a whole is the UK’s largest trading partner. In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (53% of all UK imports).
The share of UK exports accounted for by the EU has fallen over time from 55% in 2006 to 43% in 2016, increasing slightly to 44% in 2017.
The share of UK imports accounted for by the EU fell from 58% in 2002 to 51% in 2011 before increasing to 53% in 2017.
The UK had an overall trade deficit of -£67 billion with the EU in 2017. A surplus of £28 billion on trade in services was outweighed by a deficit of -£95 billion on trade in goods.
The UK had a trade surplus of £41 billion with non-EU countries. A surplus of £83 billion on trade in services outweighed a deficit of -£42 billion on trade in goods.
Services accounted for 40% of the UK’s exports to the EU in 2017. Financial services and other business services (a category which includes legal, accounting, advertising, research and development, architectural, engineering and other professional and technical services) are important categories of services exports to the EU – in 2017 these two service categories made up 52% of UK service exports to the EU.
Wales, followed by the North East of England had the highest percentage of goods exports going to the EU of all the countries and regions in the UK in 2017. The East of England followed by Northern Ireland had the joint highest proportion of goods imports from the EU.
EU tariffs are generally low but are high on some goods, especially agricultural products.

Taken from here

Now if we import or export items to the UK delivery times are typically 3-5 days without any extra paperwork.

One parcel from outside the EU took 3 weeks to clear UK customs with no duty to pay. Currently we are trying to help out a customer who's goods has been stuck in customs for a week now.

Now I think it was David Davis who said that the UK would need between 3-5,000 extra custom officials in the UK if the UK leaves the EU without a free trade agreement.

So yes I am concerned about the likely effect of free movement of goods and the cost of food in the UK if the UK leaves without a free trade agreement..

Brendan
Post #755942 3rd Feb 2019 4:38pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Brendan thankyou for your explanations on this topic certainly making it easier for me to understand things Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #755945 3rd Feb 2019 4:45pm
Lateralus

United States 
nitram17 wrote:
Lateralus wrote:
nitram17 wrote:
Lateralus wrote:
nitram17 wrote:
Lateralus wrote:
Zed wrote:
Lateralus wrote:
Zed wrote:
There will always be difficulties discussing Mr Trump in a civilised environment because his extremist views provoke a reaction.

Can you give me some examples of extremist views President Trump has?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/0...mp;gwt=pay

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/don...60bf777e83

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/a...82736.html

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/11/mi...t-language

Those really aren't views you listed but the overall theme from the articles is that Trump is racist. It's really no surprise as this is the tried and true fallback attack of the left In America. Never mind Trump has had many close back friends over the years and had a good relationship with two prominent civit rights/politcal black figures, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Donated to their causes, helped Al Sharptons mistress get a hotel because she couldnt find a place. How politically convenient that Trumps obvious racist views would all of a sudden come out in 2015/2016 when running against a democrat!

Trump is such a racist that longtime friend and pro football player Hershal Walker took Trumps kids to stay with his family while Trump was going through divorce. Trump is such a racist that his election garnered more black votes that 2 previous Republican presidential candidates and garnered more latino votes than Mitt Romneys election. Democrat leaning, pro Hillary Latino actor and comedian George Lopez said in an interview with MSNBC, that he didnt believe Trump was racist.

I could go on and on but at the end of the day you're going to believe what you want and select news to validate your bias. The most unbiased way to get a clear picture of Trump on the topic is to examine coverage of him before his run for office. It's clear hes at least racially insensitive. He wasnt born in an era where you couldnt criticize people of color or muslims or gays etc. You guys on the left live by that religion, not us.

What makes you so special fella?as you appear to be immune from the almighty meja?

I am an individual, born free in one of the greatest countries on the planet.

No fella what makes you special!

I just told you. Born free in one of the greatest countries men and women have died and bled to establish. It is my duty as an American to preserve it for my children and his children.

No fella what makes you special and immune to the meja? ...all you reply with is your a free american wlell there are 250 million plus americans and according you many are being duped by the leftish mejia..i will try once more ..what makes larealus so special?Do you have a tin foil hat?or cloak?
We could just ignore politics and try to focus on defenders......well i am at an age sadly where the defender wins Big Cry Embarassed Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

I have no idea what "meja" is. As for being immune to the media, I am not totally immune. Advertising is a science, an industry and it is very effective. Social engineering is taking place in our countries and I am telling you to open your eyes and see it for what it is.
Post #755985 3rd Feb 2019 6:22pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
As per the rest of the forum I expect this thread to follow the standards of posting, interaction and attitude that everyone agreed to upon registering.

This is highly divisive topic and not one I am fully comfortable hosting here due to it being a source of arguments and therefore the massive resource required to police it.

If you cannot add reasoned and constructive input then please don’t - please take it elsewhere. It is not fair on me and I will not have the nature of the forum spoiled by a single discussion.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #756020 3rd Feb 2019 8:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sulisuli

Couldn’t agree more well said Martin. I’m sure most members wouldn’t mind if you locked this thread to be honest. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #756022 3rd Feb 2019 8:47pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I agree too. I've followed a Brexit thread on another forum which has now run for two years and well over 600 pages. The same few people who began it are still arguing on it and no-one has changed their position.
Post #756068 3rd Feb 2019 10:45pm
Sulisuli

Don’t say that Joe I couldn’t stick two years of this thread, I might have to sell my Defender and buy a jeep Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #756075 3rd Feb 2019 10:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Shall we have a refendum on which is better, but only one option is available. Rolling with laughter

Actually if I wasn't so happy with my 90 I'd seriously consider it too! Milestone
A Jeep that is not a referendum Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #756081 3rd Feb 2019 11:17pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Zed wrote:
Here's the thing. In response to some of the more outlandish comments on this thread I've voiced a different opinion and backed it up with fact based evidence.
It is not my intention to try and change anybody elses mind. Far from it. Quite honestly I couldn't give a monkey's what anyone else on here thinks. I've just provided an alternative view with actual facts.

For the record, some on here have said they don't care about the risks of Brexit as they believe it's a price worth paying. Although I disagree with that POV I do completely respect it. However to deny there won't be detrimental consequences is pure fantasy. It's already happening and we haven't even left yet. The pound has tanked, investment has stalled, hundreds of billions of pounds have been shifted abroad and many companies have already packed their bags.

Sadly a minority have chosen to ignore facts, argue semantics or give an opinion only backed up by snidey insults and smilies. Well crack on, that's obviously your prerogative but it is very telling indeed.

Your fact based evidence is from different media sources so isn’t actually fact based at all. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #756085 3rd Feb 2019 11:36pm
integrale

New Zealand 
My tuppence-worth - In 50 years Land Rover ownership I've never felt the need to engage in political debate with fellow enthusiasts. This was an ill-considered thread, which was obviously going to foment divisive exchanges. Brendan and a few others have attempted a rational discussion, but otherwise the general tenor has been entirely predictable - vitriol and polemic.
Post #756103 4th Feb 2019 12:34am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 12 of 15 <123 ... 1112 131415>