Brexiteers don't like brussels.
Post #747289 25th Dec 2018 12:35pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #747293 25th Dec 2018 1:54pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
discomog wrote:
"It’s pretty hard for Britain’s friends, here in Australia, to make sense of the mess that’s being made of Brexit. ......... Like so many of Britain’s admirers, I want to see this great country seize this chance and make the most of it."
Tony Abbott served as Prime Minister of Australia from 2013 to 2015

It's not a little ironic that the most sensible things said by a politician about Brexit, was by a foreigner. I did think from the outset that bringing in an independent aribter of negotiations would seem a sensible idea. A third party with no agenda, no party or nation affiliation, no ego; just facts and (ideally) a prgamatic approach to the divorce. The peace we now have in Northern Ireland for example was chaired by an American. Likewise negotiations between Israel/Palestine, are never left to them, each party has too much of a vested, self-interest. I never wanted Brexit to happen, for obvious reasons that I live in France (and as pointed out by Leeds, this has cost Mrs Grenadier and I approx 30% of our wealth), but it has happened and my must negotiate properly. I, like Tont Abbott, feel that we can 'go it alone', if we fight for the right deal. But that is something we are clearly not doing. It won't be full membership, it won't be Norway, it won't be Swiss. An ex member will have a worse deal than all of those above, indeed a worse deal than even Canada and Japan, both thousands of miles away with no cultural or financial ties to the EU whatsoever. So I'd say get Abbott on a plane, get him into the negs with the (unelected) cabal of Tusk/Junker/Barnier and let's force their hand. Way too much pussy-footing around. Way too much give, not enough take. Way too much wet. We're being royally shafted by the EU Politburo and they're having a right laugh at our expense. Rolling Eyes Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #747353 26th Dec 2018 10:41am
leeds

United Kingdom 
The main problem with the Brexit referendum was lack of proper information from both sides.

Now whilst some of the proposals from Tony Abbott are interesting they are rather simplistic as well.

With less then a 100 days to go to 29th March there are realistically 3 options I can see occurring and 2 options I can not see occurring.

The chances of a UK general election or a second referendum leading to any meaningful change in Brexit is minimal. Parliament is in recess until mid January ant that would mean less then 10 weeks to decide on a general election/second referendum to be carried out and enacted upon. Then any negotiations to take place. Timescale to short in my opinion

Other 3 options

1) . UK withdraws the article 50 letter and no Brexit or a vastly delayed brexit

2) The 'Theresa May deal' which incorporates a transition period

3) Leave on WTO rules.

3) Now most of the UK trade with the EU goes through how many ports, 6, 12 or 20?? Now David Davis has said the UK would require 3-5,000 extra custom officials to cope with tariffs between the EU and the UK. Now where are we going to get 5,000 trained custom officials before 29th March 2019 in the case of WTO rules? Where are they going to be stationed, i.e they need physical buildings, computer systems, storage facilities etc. In my opinion that is highly unlikely.

2) Transition period lasting 21 months and then either a free trade agreement or WTO type set of rules apply. So do they plan for/start building the infrastructure to support 5,000 custom officials in case of WTO rules or not? Is 21 months long enough? If they do and it is a FTA then what a waste of money

1) Pull the Article 50 letter, would most likely result in a general election and potential political chaos.

No easy choice there and no simple solutions.

What the currency exchange market and businesses dislike is uncertainties and uncertainties are there by the bucket load.

Brendan
Post #747376 26th Dec 2018 2:44pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
It all seems to be a royal c**k up. The 52:48 was very close, and now much more likely to be a 46:54 the other way, both too close for any negotiated outcome to please anyone.

We do however have relative peace in N.I. and there has been no hostilities in northern Europe since WW2, that alone has to be worth any perceived or real cost to the EU.

Other EU countries seem to be able to either change or ignore rules as they see fit, 15 years ago we had to change to eu harmonised wiring colours, M Bricolage still sells red cable by the KM. If a EU citizen rocks up at the Uk benefits office we bend over backwards to provide an interpreter to make sure their rights aren't violated - try that in France!

Germany I beleive has no internal requirements for tacho's, Belgium banned the Burka? We appear to be the fools who obeyed the rules, got fed up and in a knee jerk referendum will pay the price, because in the long and short term all these changes will cost and its only the middle England PAYE who will bear these costs.
Post #747403 26th Dec 2018 5:21pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Grenadier wrote:
discomog wrote:
"It’s pretty hard for Britain’s friends, here in Australia, to make sense of the mess that’s being made of Brexit. ......... Like so many of Britain’s admirers, I want to see this great country seize this chance and make the most of it."
Tony Abbott served as Prime Minister of Australia from 2013 to 2015

It's not a little ironic that the most sensible things said by a politician about Brexit, was by a foreigner. I did think from the outset that bringing in an independent aribter of negotiations would seem a sensible idea. A third party with no agenda, no party or nation affiliation, no ego; just facts and (ideally) a prgamatic approach to the divorce. The peace we now have in Northern Ireland for example was chaired by an American. Likewise negotiations between Israel/Palestine, are never left to them, each party has too much of a vested, self-interest. I never wanted Brexit to happen, for obvious reasons that I live in France (and as pointed out by Leeds, this has cost Mrs Grenadier and I approx 30% of our wealth), but it has happened and my must negotiate properly. I, like Tont Abbott, feel that we can 'go it alone', if we fight for the right deal. But that is something we are clearly not doing. It won't be full membership, it won't be Norway, it won't be Swiss. An ex member will have a worse deal than all of those above, indeed a worse deal than even Canada and Japan, both thousands of miles away with no cultural or financial ties to the EU whatsoever. So I'd say get Abbott on a plane, get him into the negs with the (unelected) cabal of Tusk/Junker/Barnier and let's force their hand. Way too much pussy-footing around. Way too much give, not enough take. Way too much wet. We're being royally shafted by the EU Politburo and they're having a right laugh at our expense. Rolling Eyes

Well, you never know, Tony could most definitely be your man!
Tony is a member of our Liberal Party, pretty much the same as your Conservative Party. He was successful in getting Labor out of office, but was then outed by his own party, but I thought He was a very good PM, & I'm a BIG fan of his. He said what He thought, did what He did for Aussie even at the expense of his own popularity, AND, He "stopped the boats", something Labor said was impossible,...it only took him 6 weeks.
So yes, He is a bit of an "action man",..He would probably relish the challenge!
Regards, Pickles.
Post #747457 26th Dec 2018 9:47pm
CR

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
BREXIT
Im curious is there even one person who really believes they will be better off post "B" ?
Post #753160 22nd Jan 2019 7:06pm
discoed

United Kingdom 
lets keep it off here

Last edited by discoed on 22nd Jan 2019 7:46pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #753163 22nd Jan 2019 7:19pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Good grief is there no escape from the "B" word Evil or Very Mad
Post #753164 22nd Jan 2019 7:19pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
There used to be on here until someone brought it up
Whistle 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #753168 22nd Jan 2019 7:41pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Surely we don’t need a debate on that here Whistle 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #753171 22nd Jan 2019 7:45pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
My 4-year-old grandson asked me the other day 'when we leave the European Union' where are we going to go, I hope it's near America, I asked him what did he mean, and to put his answer into a few words he thought that leaving the EU meant we are moving the whole country somewhere else, I suppose like sailing a ship! Bless him, mind you he had a point if we could do that life might be less of a hassle. Laughing For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #753174 22nd Jan 2019 8:01pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Please, this was/is one place you can go to escape the B word Laughing 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #753176 22nd Jan 2019 8:05pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
This was my only Brexit free sanctuary. It's everywhere now Big Cry 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #753179 22nd Jan 2019 8:27pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 4 of 15 <123 45 ... 131415>