Home > Technical > Sand / Snow Anchors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BG1

United Kingdom 
Sand / Snow Anchors
Hi,

I am researching Sand/Snow anchors, I have looked at what is available on the market IE Pull Pal etc. My question is does this equipment really work in very extreme condition?, loose dry Snow, loose wind blown Sand

Does any body have the experience of using any Land Anchors in these conditions and do they really work when you have a fully laden 4X4 at the end of the tow winch.

I welcome all sensible comments and experiences from everbody who has used this type of equipment

Regards BG1
Post #5503 15th Dec 2008 10:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ronny S

Norway 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
Hello folks.

Ronny from Norway here. These days I drive in loose snow every day, and it's about 10-20C below here. Nice weather Smile
In dry loose snow I do not belive anything will work... Maybe if you pull some hundrede meters to collect so snow that it get hard enough to make an achor get stuck...
What we do in Norway is to find a tree or anything solid to hang our winchrope to ... And if we dont find anything that solid, we simply have to digg down til we find solid ground. Problem is that if it's so cold that the snow is loose and dry, the soil might probably be frosen, and hard as concrete...
But when the temperatur rise, you can set your ground anchor in snow and it could seem stuck, but I would not relay on such a fastening point. It would most likely slip, and with strong pull on the line, you may find the anchor burried inside your car in the worst case.
So please don't use ground anchor in snow!
I think the same factors will be there reagarding loose sand.

Ronny S

Sorry for my lousy English
Post #7277 14th Feb 2009 6:14pm
BG1

United Kingdom 
Land Anchors
Hi Ronny S

Thanks for the Information on the snow problem, you are the 2nd guy who has had an input about snow the other guy was from Iceland. The experience with anchors in snow seem to be very limited, so any information from people who have used them in anger is all the more important.

Tahnks again for the informatio

Regards bg1
Post #7333 16th Feb 2009 9:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1