↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Crash-bang gear change after L-H shift
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
Crash-bang gear change after L-H shift
The last day my gear change has been particularly bad, clunking/jerking sometimes during clutch down, sometimes during gear shift, sometimes during clutch up, sometimes all three. More prominent in the lower gears, and when going up hills. When in 5th or 6th at cruising speed, light acceleration or deceleration would also clunk/jerk.

Previously, I spent a week of heavier off-road/trailering than normal, so wondered if I had loosened or broken something. As driving in low range has always offered quick, simple, smooth and noise free gear changes (always better than high range – why is that?), I changed down so see if that was also impacted. No, still perfect. So I changed back into high range, and the gear change went back to as before without all the clunking and jerking. It was as though when I previously went back from low to high a couple of days ago it did not engage properly.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any ideas what could have happened and what it says about our transmissions/drive train?
Could I have damaged anything driving with it like this?
Post #721472 4th Aug 2018 8:05pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
this may be a waste of time but it's simple and costs nothing so it's got to be worth a try.

the hi-lo lever left to right does diff lock. just be cause you've got the lever all the way over to the right and no diff lock light on the dash doesn't from my experience tell the full story.

crawl underneath and be sure the tab on the transfer box is fully back in the un-lock position. there'll be a click once it's fully unlocked and from memory facing directly forwards. it may require taking the 'C' shaped / staple thing out and making sure the hi-lo lever isn't preventing this 'tab' from being where it should be.

hope that makes sense.
Post #723262 13th Aug 2018 5:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1