↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Aircon any good on the TD5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CFB

United Kingdom 
Aircon any good on the TD5
I might be swapping my 200 Tdi 90 for a TD5 110 in the near future and as it will be a daily drive I want a/c. Can anyone report how good (or bad) the a/c setup is on the TD5, I know it is slung under the dash so won't demist etc but how effective is it for cooling the interior? Andy
Post #2243 30th May 2008 3:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Andy,,

Would say, one up from better than nothing !!! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #2246 30th May 2008 4:53pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Mine works fine - in UK conditions that is
Post #2247 30th May 2008 10:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Well the ordinary air con on the Td5 was one of the reasons we switched to a new Defender - but that is out here in Oz where you can fry an egg on the bonnet most days in summer. I always thought the poor A/C was just one of the Defender's "OK for the UK" features. Out here it was enough to take the edge off the heat but over 30 degrees, forget it. It did however, get your balls nice and cool... Wink 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #2249 31st May 2008 12:38am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Its always been known as not very good.

A friend with a 300 (LR indi) has started to fit a cross between disco and defender kit to his 300 all hidden to make it better.

All i can say, is that the new heater and ac is brilliant...often too brilliant Mike
Post #2253 31st May 2008 9:46am
foz.in.oz

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
I find the aircon in mine is ok when on the highway or fast off road but does tend to struggle a bit when not moving or moving slowly.

The other PITA is if you have to replace the fan speed resistor pack. You have to remove the whole unit from under the dash. Changing the resistor itself once the unit is out could be done by a five year old but the cost of parts, resistor, drier, recharge etc make the job very expensive and time consuming for something that could have been a breeze if the designer used his noggin a bit harder in the drawing phase!

However, as said before it is better than nothing. Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #2996 1st Aug 2008 2:33am
mse

foz.in.oz wrote:
I find the aircon in mine is ok when on the highway or fast off road but does tend to struggle a bit when not moving or moving slowly.

The other PITA is if you have to replace the fan speed resistor pack. You have to remove the whole unit from under the dash. Changing the resistor itself once the unit is out could be done by a five year old but the cost of parts, resistor, drier, recharge etc make the job very expensive and time consuming for something that could have been a breeze if the designer used his noggin a bit harder in the drawing phase!

However, as said before it is better than nothing.

Are we talking TD5 or TDCi?

The TDCi ones mine and others perfect at any speed - infact speed doesnt affect it as we did the convoy from Solihull to Gaydon with it on and you could see our breath in the AC even when crawling around for hours

The resistor on the old ones (i dont know about td5) was a Censored to change tucked up behind the wing - but the new one is again very different - remove the passenger inspection panel and you can put your arm behind the central pod. Mike
Post #3008 1st Aug 2008 5:09pm
foz.in.oz

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
First post says "Aircon any good on the TD5" so I was talking TD5

Should ahve perhaps mentioned in the earlier post that ambient air temps here are from around 25 - 40°C Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #3032 3rd Aug 2008 8:32am
mse

foz.in.oz wrote:
First post says "Aircon any good on the TD5" so I was talking TD5

Should ahve perhaps mentioned in the earlier post that ambient air temps here are from around 25 - 40°C

Still some room to get hotter.

I did see it was TD5, but the previous post werent so i got confused.

TD5 air con isnt that great on all ive been in - although a friend has but an extra airbox in the rear of his 110 and thus its very good. Mike
Post #3042 3rd Aug 2008 7:17pm
gtveloce65

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
Had a Td5 all last summer (2yr old with 6000 miles at purchase) - not that it was much of a summer. On A roads I found the bulkhead vents worked better than the Aircon. Apart from the lack of leg room for the front passenger there were complaints of freezing knees from the front and lack of effectiveness from the back, though speaking as the driver, it was definitely better than nothing on motorway trips (there's enough noise at 70 without adding to it by opening the front vents!!)

Now enjoying controllable temperature and much reduced noise in a Tdci! 1953 80
1965 Alfa Romeo GT Veloce Sprint
1980 Fiat 124 Spider
2008 110xs
Post #7203 12th Feb 2009 3:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1